PhilUSAFRet

Speaker upgrade for practice amp

Am considering upgrading the 8" speaker in my Crate GX 15 practice amp. I've seen the Jensen C8R vintage amp replacement speakers for less than $30. Anyone tried a better speaker in one of these little guys? The Crate is 4 ohm, which complicates things. I don't want to spend too much money, or I'd just get another amp. Want to use this one for a while until I both need a bigger one, and know which one I want and why I want it.

That Jensen C8R you mentioned comes in a 4ohm version, and at $30 you wouldn't be losing too much givin' it a try. I'd go for it.

thanks....I haven't been able to find out so far how heavy the magnet is in the Crate. If it's as heavy I don't know, but the Jensen seems to have a good rep, and is supplied as a vintage replacement for many tube amps by some dealers that specialize in parts for them.

I saw it advertised as a Fender upgrade so it shouldn't be too shabby. I'm guessing it will add a bit of a vintage flavour, would that go with the sound you're lookin' for?

Finally got an answer from Crate parts supplier. The Crate 8" speaker has the same size magnet, voice coil, and roughly the same specs as the Jensen C8R. Guess it's not worth $30 bucks and would not be much of an upgrade unless I hear the jensen and think it is.

Just came from the Weber website. Incredible reputation. for about $80 or $90 bucks (better want to upgrade that puppy badly) you can get one of their vintage speakers. Perfect replacement speakers for the little boogers and probably a much better amp than the Italian made Jensens. (hey, I'm Italian, but sound is sound.