Anthony_iltpff

What software used for recording your guitar?

Hi everyone, I am curious as to which software to record, edit, export, etc., most people use and why. I am looking for software that I can use on my pc that will be user friendly, easy to learning, be able to multi-track record, etc..

Any recomendations would be appreciated,

AA

I use Acid Pro 6 - very easy to use and learn on and able to produce professional results. It supports Midi,VST's(i record my guitars through amplitube in real time with no problems),5.1 surround mixing etc etc.... Its the best music proggie around imho.:yeahhh:

I once tried a demo of cubase but I found that absolutely, totally and utterly confusing :dunno: If you wanna go the free route, Audacity will do the job adequetely and there are plenty of users around to get tips from.

Ooops, nearly forgot to mention Asio4all a free Asio wrapper that makes latency a thing of the past :winkthumb:

Powertracks Pro Audio by pgmusic.com. Full MIDI, VST, etc. for under $100. Tough to beat from what I've seen. Don't use my songs as a guide, though. I'm a newbie to recording and really don't have any decent recording hardware yet.

Magix Music Studio 11 ($80). I haven't used it, but I've heard very good things about it. I use Magix Samplitude (one of their more spendy programs) and it is a killer program, so I don't doubt Music Studio is also a fantastic program. There are several Samplitude users that have Music Studio for use on their laptops for location recordings (so that nothing happens to the Samplitude dongle) and they all have said it is a great program.

http://site.magix.net/index.php?32348&&exsp=613a353a7b733a333a22474944223b733a323a223139223b733a373a226261636b504944223b693a3438323b733a333a22554944223b733a343a2233373632223b693a303b733a303a22223b693a313b733a303a22223b7d

For freebies, Reaper is pretty decent.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

Kristal Audio is nice for the ASIO support and doing effects monitoring (essentially using Kristal as a live effects machine) and for recording. But editing in that program is a nightmare. :brickwall: I didn't realize how bad it was until I tried to show it to a friend who wanted a cheap/free recording program..... I don't recommend Kristal much anymore. ;)

-tkr

I use Audacity it's a free down load programme , there are pleanty of free recording programmes out there ...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

and you will need lame.dll to convert your recordings into MP3 format

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Lame_Encoder.htm

Its' all very easy , I use a 12 channell mixer plugged into my PC

then I just have fun .

Hope this answers your question

Trev...

I use Audacity it's a free down load programme

I just downloaded Audacity and gave it a test run. I've heard about it, but have never actually tried it.... But wow, even for a freebie Audacity doesn't have much in it. The 2 major issues I have with it are no realtime effects and the lack of even basic editing (like a real "split" tool). That right there is a deal breaker (even if it is free... ;))

Anyone that is using Audacity should seriously give Reaper a try. It is definitely the best freebie program I've seen thus far. The interface isn't as nice looking as Audacity, but it functions 100 times better.

-tkr

Reaper is not free it does cost:

REAPER is available for download without technological limitations for evaluation purposes. Once you have evaluated REAPER, you should purchase a license:

* For non-commercial use, a license is $39.95 USD. Click here to purchase a non-commercial license via RegNow.

* For commercial use, a license is $199.95 USD. Click here to purchase a commercial license via RegNow.

Reaper is not free it does cost:

REAPER is available for download without technological limitations for evaluation purposes. Once you have evaluated REAPER, you should purchase a license:

* For non-commercial use, a license is $39.95 USD. Click here to purchase a non-commercial license via RegNow.

* For commercial use, a license is $199.95 USD. Click here to purchase a commercial license via RegNow.

Hmm.... Interesting. I found out about Reaper via another forum a while back and the guys there called it "freeware". I guess it pays to read the website. :D There are no messages that pop up when you install it, so unless you read it on the site, you'd never know he wanted you to pay for it. lol

Reaper was great when I thought it was a freebie, but at that price there's no way! lol Even at only $2 more you could get N-Track ($42) which blows the virtual doors off of Reaper.

-tkr

Audacity has a number of good and primary functions. Many Nyquist plugins as well as some VST plugins are available and work well with Audacity. The Linux port has a bit more flexibility than the Windows package I believe. I can't speak about the Mac pack, but have no doubt that its every bit as functional as the others.

Some folks use Kristal or another sonic package to record and then run it through Audacity. I use Audacity to both record and mix multi-tracks. It's exceptionally easy.

No, it doesn't have all the gizmoids, bells and whistles and pretty graphical popup interfaces as say, Magix or others. And really, how many of those gizmo things can you use at once much less remember where they are on all those menus. :)

Audacity sure does one good job without a lot of fuss. And I can *see* the Record Button! ;)

Les

No, it doesn't have all the gizmoids, bells and whistles and pretty graphical popup interfaces as say, Magix or others.

But realtime effects and track splitting are pretty basic features. You can't do any editing without being able to split a track and destructive offline effects are much more difficult to work with because you can't make changes to it once you add it.

These aren't just misc bells and whistles, these are very useful features that make working with the program 100% easier.

And really, how many of those gizmo things can you use at once much less remember where they are on all those menus. :)

That depends on what your needs are and how deep you want to get into the program. I definitely don't use all of the features in Samplitude, but I do use more than enough of them to make the price worth it for me. :winkthumb:

At $80 the Magix program is dirt cheap... Especially considering that it has some of features that are in their more expensive programs. Then of course there's N-Track ($42) which is excellent for the price and is leaps and bounds above the freebie programs (it even kills Reaper which is only $2 cheaper).

-tkr

I just downloaded Audacity and gave it a test run. I've heard about it, but have never actually tried it.... But wow, even for a freebie Audacity doesn't have much in it. The 2 major issues I have with it are no realtime effects and the lack of even basic editing (like a real "split" tool). That right there is a deal breaker (even if it is free... ;))

Anyone that is using Audacity should seriously give Reaper a try. It is definitely the best freebie program I've seen thus far. The interface isn't as nice looking as Audacity, but it functions 100 times better.

-tkr

I guess it depends onj your goal as I think Audacity works just fine and is very user friendly. To each his own I guess...

The 1.30 version of Audacity does have a split feature, by the way. I don't remember if the 1.24 has it or not.

It isn't an full blown CakeWalk or Acid package. It is an easy to use multi-track recording and editing package. If you're into effects other than basic needs, then Audacity isn't for you. But if you're just getting started, want a simple package that produces a good result and all is costs is the time it takes to RTFM, then Audacity is the ticket. Plus there is active development as well as a devel and users list for any questions that may crop up. And with or without the plugins available, most anyone can create a darn good recording without going through a six month learning curve.

The 1.30 version of Audacity does have a split feature, by the way. I don't remember if the 1.24 has it or not.

Nope 1.24 didn't have it. I just downloaded the 1.30 version and the split feature can be used to separate sections, but it still can't really be used for editing (can't overlap objects on the tracks).

It isn't an full blown CakeWalk or Acid package. It is an easy to use multi-track recording and editing package.

I'm not comparing it to CW or Acid. I'm comparing it to programs that cost less that it costs to fill up your gas tank. ;)

If you're into effects other than basic needs, then Audacity isn't for you.

Realtime effects are very basic though. I'd say it's actually harder for beginners to not have realtime effects because you have to get it right the first time and you can't change it later. You can’t even import your original track back in with no effects on it because destructive effects overwrite the original wave file (unless Audacity has the option to copy the wave file and add effects to the copied wave file... I haven’t tried that yet to find out.) Realtime effects do not alter your original wave file in any way and everything is done within the software in realtime, so you can change any effect at any time while working on your project.

If you use effects at all (and I mean at all) you will greatly benefit from this. :winkthumb: This also opens up the possiblity of all of the freebie VST plugins out there (some of which are VERY good).

Plus there is active development as well as a devel and users list for any questions that may crop up.

Yep, that's generally true for most programs.... well, except for maybe Cubase. LOL :D

And with or without the plugins available, most anyone can create a darn good recording without going through a six month learning curve.

N-Track also doesn't have a steep learning curve. All of the menu buttons are pictures that look like their functions and the menus are arranged in a logical manner. I can’t comment on the ease of use for Magix Music Studio since I haven’t used that program (I wish they had a demo for it... :()

N-Track does have a demo version, so if you want, you can give it a try and see if it's worth spending the money on or if Audacity is the better option.

http://www.fasoft.com/

-tkr

I guess I have to say that I've got a bit of a soft spot for Audacity, despite it's limitations. Probably because it was the first sequencing program I ever used and from that point of view, it's simplicity was a bonus. Seems to do most of what I want to do easily and it is free, no strings attached. Recently downloaded a copy of ACID XPress 5, (the freebie one) and it certainly appears to be much more comprehensive .... but I can't see myself sitting down to read the 262 page manual to learn all of it's features though!

Reaper was great when I thought it was a freebie, but at that price there's no way! lol Even at only $2 more you could get N-Track ($42) which blows the virtual doors off of Reaper.

-tkr

Ah, interesting Tekker, you changed your mind. That's cool, I've used my early version of N-Track for a few years off and on, and found it to be very good. Been thinking about getting the updated version. They seem to have a pretty knowledgable forum where you can ask questions. Heck, all these programs have a learning curve which is steep till you get the hang of it.

Bob

I use Audacity often for specific reasons like post amplifying a song, and I like it for fading in and fading out on a track. Also it's an easy way to 'crop' silence or a count off at the beginning.

Ah, interesting Tekker, you changed your mind.

I was just reading that too and laughing. :D

At the time Reaper had only been out for about 8 months, so I would say it wasn't the program back then that it is today. I have a hard time remembering what it was like back then (since I know what it can do now).... I'm half tempted to download the version from that time (which is still on the Reaper site) and try it out. ;)

Reaper is the fastest growing application on the market, it is updated on a daily basis. So it was only a matter of time (and apparently not much time) before it got to be the awesome program that it is today. :winkthumb:

-tkr

Hi, remember me. I talk about Reaper in other threads...although, i'm not their P.R. manager... I spoke about one fine software for recording...

About softwares... there is NO mather in what program you work... at the end - MUSIC and final product is only mather in all of programs and softwares. Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Pro Tools, Fruity Loops... etc, etc, are big players and some of those are studio standards. PT for instance!!!

For us, lovers and amateurs to the music are Kristal, Reaper, Audacity, and similar.

Idea is the most mportant in our "bussines". Is no mather are you recorded in software XXX or with program YYYY or even ZZZZ. Every one of us need what will fullfil personal goals...

Kristal is fine program, but... development of this program has stoped...??? why I don't now

Audacity is wav editor meaning you can edit only one track

Reaper is multitrack... like those big player. One single man is developing this (Justin Frankel, inventor of Winamp) and updates are at daily base... But NOW it is veeery powerfull and it has many features which all big players have. Even more.. But Why Reaper is THE most intersting.... because of this:

REAPER is provided with full functionality, and will not expire after any period of time. We trust that you, the user, will obey the license agreement and purchase a license if use continues.
REAPER is reasonably priced, sustainably developed, uncrippled unexpiring shareware.

So program like this with those "features" I mentioned is THE most perfect for ALL kind of musicias.. PRO, semi-PRO, Advanced, Amateurs, Beginers...

that is why I reccomend this program. You (by "you" I mean everybody) can use whatever program you like.... But Just MAKE MUSIC!!!

P.S. Oh yes those quotes are from Reaper Site!!!!

Reagards.... :)