Chaotic Kittie

Which song would you like to have written?

Hey all, 1st post from a newbie here.

Here's my top 5 that I can think of right now:

Harry Nilsson - Can't Live (if living is without you)

Don McClean - American Pie & Vincent (starry, starry night)

Elton John / Bernie Taupin - Candle in the Wind (Goodbye Norma Jean)

Eagles - Desperado

Dan Fogelberg - Leader of the Band

Hey all, 1st post from a newbie here.

Here's my top 5 that I can think of right now:

Harry Nilsson - Can't Live (if living is without you)

Don McClean - American Pie & Vincent (starry, starry night)

Elton John / Bernie Taupin - Candle in the Wind (Goodbye Norma Jean)

Eagles - Desperado

Dan Fogelberg - Leader of the Band

"Without you" was written by a British band called "Badfinger". However Harry Nillson did record the best version.

http://www.mindspring.com/~crimson3/features.htm

Sorry, but I'm just a noob. I was listing the songs, and my favorite performers of those songs,

that "I wish I had written". I didn't see the "rule" about including the actual songwriter. (I guess I still

don't lol). It just looked like a fun topic. But since it has become an issue, a couple of re-clarifications

are in order:

Harry Nilsson recorded the 1st #1 hit version of Can't Live (if living is without you).

And I wish I had written that song, that way. That's why I listed it that way. My bad.

Mariah Carey did an excellent cover as well. Badfinger's version was an obscure

track on their 1970 No Dice album. Then Nilsson got a hold of it in 1971...

and the rest is history!

But the band Badfinger didn't write the song. Pete Ham and Tom Evans, (R.I.P), OF Badfinger

actually wrote the song, not the whole band. Also those guys were Welsh, not British.

That's Wales, home of Tom Jones, who btw has a very hot new single, Stoned In Love.

I also listed: Eagles - Desperado. No, the whole band didn't write that song either,

Glen Frey & Don Henley OF the Eagles wrote it. But if anyone wants to list Clint Black -

Desperado, at the top of your list, that's fine with me. :winkthumb:

You're right mrbillmax, it's really the songs that we're discussing in this thread, it's not necessary to know who actually wrote it. But if someone also wants to add useful information about the provenance of a song then I think that's good too. Wales is a country in its own right but it's also part of Great Britain so if you are Welsh then you're also British.

I would love to have written some of the Beach Boys best songs - Good Vibrations, God Only Knows, Wouldn't it be Nice, Warmth of The Sun. The best work by the Beach Boys ranks right up there with anything that's ever been done in pop music. Brian Wilson is just amazing. When the Beatles had their first big year in 1963 John Lennon was 22, at around the same age Brian Wilson was in the midst of recording the tenth Beach Boys album; he wrote, arranged and produced just about every one of them. That tenth album turned out to be Pet Sounds, one of the most highly regarded albums ever made. All this despite being deaf in one ear. A true legend.

PS I'm not trying to turn this into a Beach Boys versus Beatles competition. I'm a Beatles fan too, but the Beatles get their fair share of press, it just seems to me that the Beach Boys, and Brian Wilson in particular, doesn't.

You're right mrbillmax, it's really the songs that we're discussing in this thread, it's not necessary to know who actually wrote it. But if someone also wants to add useful information about the provenance of a song then I think that's good too. Wales is a country in its own right but it's also part of Great Britain so if you are Welsh then you're also British.

I would love to have written some of the Beach Boys best songs - Good Vibrations, God Only Knows, Wouldn't it be Nice, Warmth of The Sun. The best work by the Beach Boys ranks right up there with anything that's ever been done in pop music. Brian Wilson is just amazing. When the Beatles had their first big year in 1963 John Lennon was 22, at around the same age Brian Wilson was in the midst of recording the tenth Beach Boys album; he wrote, arranged and produced just about every one of them. That tenth album turned out to be Pet Sounds, one of the most highly regarded albums ever made. All this despite being deaf in one ear. A true legend.

PS I'm not trying to turn this into a Beach Boys versus Beatles competition. I'm a Beatles fan too, but the Beatles get their fair share of press, it just seems to me that the Beach Boys, and Brian Wilson in particular, doesn't.

:dunno: you make some great points in relation about who should get the credit for a great song and no one should every undremine the person who wrote the song. However there are peformers and song writers would elton johns best songs have been huge hits if bernie taubin sang them not to mention all the great burt bacarach songs I like bob dylan but would have to say that the covers of knocking on heavens door and all along the watch tower to name a few sounded better than the orginal version.The point i am making the delivery of the song plays a huge part. I dont think that the beach boys ever got the full credit they deserved those harmonys came from heaven:guitardude:

Thanx Si and Malcomb. I think you've touched upon the need of a new Topic. The whole

ghostwriting subject, who really wrote what, who "borrowed" material from whom. Speaking

of the Beach Boys / Beatles. Chuck Barry and others have shed some light on the whole roots

of rock subject. (See what an evocative Topic that could be).

You're technically correct about the British. But I still wouldn't call a Welsh person a Brit unless

I new them REALLY well LOL. Especially now, with the government's "program of devolution"

(making the "provinces" more autonomous, if you will.)

Remember Paul McCartney's, "Give Ireland Back to the Irish"?

(Whoa another possible Topic: "Most contaversial songs", hmm).

It goes way back...

“For not upon these hills alone

The doom of sport shall fall;

O’er the broad face of England creeps

The shadow on the wall.'’

from D. W. Nash’s "The Fox’s Prophecy", 1870.

cool thread...

ok, music composition:Melancholy Lullaby by Alex Pangman. that tune is sweet. Lyrics don't work for me, though.

lyric writing:Fake Tales of San Francisco by the arctic monkeys. I really really hate that band but it's because I really really am jealous of them.

Thanx Si and Malcomb. I think you've touched upon the need of a new Topic. The whole

ghostwriting subject, who really wrote what, who "borrowed" material from whom. Speaking

of the Beach Boys / Beatles. Chuck Barry and others have shed some light on the whole roots

of rock subject. (See what an evocative Topic that could be).

You're technically correct about the British. But I still wouldn't call a Welsh person a Brit unless

I new them REALLY well LOL. Especially now, with the government's "program of devolution"

(making the "provinces" more autonomous, if you will.)

Remember Paul McCartney's, "Give Ireland Back to the Irish"?

(Whoa another possible Topic: "Most contaversial songs", hmm).

It goes way back...

“For not upon these hills alone

The doom of sport shall fall;

O’er the broad face of England creeps

The shadow on the wall.'’

from D. W. Nash’s "The Fox’s Prophecy", 1870.

:clap: get your point friend i am not anti-british but a proud scot through and through and like the beach boys harmonys from heaven i think the same could be said of the welsh valleys and the scottish mountains:thumbup:

how about:

plowed by sponge

last resort by papa roach

cumbersome by 7 mary 3

welcome to the jungle by GnR

how do you like me now by toby keith

one by metallica

anything by zakk wylde

Sorry mrbillmax. I've got agree with you on the "Without you" thing. But although the English,Welsh,Scottish appear like we're at each other's throat's, we are all very much British. there are nationalist's out there that may say different, but when the going get's tough, we all stick together. Just thought I'd put a view for the Great British people. I'm British and very proud. Peace to ya bro.:grouphug:

Harvest Moon - Neil young

Thanks for reminding me of this song, I had nearly forgotten it! :wub:

Another one I'd like to have written is The Last Resort by Eagles... such a beatiful song, and such lovely lyrics!

Nice one. How about "Freebird":yeahhh:

Heck, never mind writing it....I'd be satisfied with just being able to PLAY it like Lynyrd Skynyrd does!!! :punk:

Several Eagles songs have made this thread - and I'm kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned "Hotel California" yet.

Hotel California is SACRED. If someone really would want to have written it, they'd do best not to mention it, the Eagles will know. ;)