mcknett

The $2 Twelve String Project!

So...

With the top taped to avoid the ooze, I lathered my new bridge plate with epoxy and stuck it in place. I spread more epoxy on the top to fill the holes. I then used the monster capo with a block of wood to spread the pressure and...

We'll see when I get back this afternoon. This epoxy is sandable, well, probably now.

(The clamp resting on one popsicle stick kept everything in place without distorting the top!)

Genius at work.

2264.attach

I placed wax paper on the inside to catch any drips. I also scraped off the excess as soon as I had the clamp on. I used my iSight camera to have a look.

Man, looks like you've thought of everything! Can't wait to hear the completed project. :clap:

If I want anything decent out of it, Todd, I'll have to bring it up to you!

The bridge is on and clamped. I'll take the clamps off in the morning and post some photos. I'll also be taking it to the nearest drill press to start the end-run.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

It's not too late to vote. In fact, I'll give you all another look when I take the clamp off the bridge. When you see it all together, who knows! In fact, no matter which one ends up on the top...I'll have to trim to fit the existing inlay - it doesn't appear to be a normal sized soundhole, it's a trifle smaller than anything else in the house. (with the possible exception of a ukelele or two)

I'm hoping to have it drilled out and strung in the next couple of days!

Wow!

You're well one your way to a finished repair! Very cool indeed.

And when you open up shop...........

:)

Les,

I'm sorry I missed this earlier. I got so wrapped up in the project...(excuses, excuses) Please accept my apology. I love the image! And when I put my ear really close to the soundhole...I can hear the ocean!

Thanks again.

Here it is - visual only, let me wait on the sound check 'til tomorrow as it's after midnight now.

I drilled out the bridge slightly smaller than my pins...then I used a ream to get them just snug. (1st image) Before I strung it, I used a jigsaw blade (once again a frets.com suggestion) to make grooves for the strings - of course, I was so excited about putting the strings on, I forgot to take a picture of that. It took a bit of work to get the saddle just right...felt like I sanded on it all evening, just taking a little off at a time until it fit snug.

I glued the nut in and tweaked a couple of the grooves for a better fit.

I strung it and tuned it...so far everything is still in place. I'll see how it is in the morning and maybe then I'll record a little something for the final effect.

Here are a couple of views of the result along with the empty bridge.

2287.attach

2288.attach

2289.attach

As you might have noticed, there is still no pick guard.

Here are three more views...now that it's mostly done, which one should I use?

2290.attach

2291.attach

2292.attach

Looks like you've done a great job. Well done. The black pickguard is probably more conventional and I think would get my vote, although I see most have gone for the tortoise-shell.

I'll stick with the tortoise shell... But I'm now jealous and want to pick her up and give her a good strumming!

Some suggested songs that sound good on a 12 string:

"Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd tops my list, followed by Hotel California.

http://www.blamepro.com/mwn/tips/12string.htm

A Hard Day's Night (The Beatles)

Amanda (Boston)

Anytime At All (The Beatles)

Eight Miles High (The Byrds)

Father Christmas (Greg Lake)

Free Falling (Tom Petty)

Give A Little Bit (Supertramp)

Hotel California (The Eagles)

If I Needed Someone (The Beatles)

Jumpin' Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones)

Maggie May (Rod Stewart)

More Than A Feeling (Boston)

Mr. Tambourine Man (The Byrds)

Sister Golden Hair (America)

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin)

Still, You Turn Me On (ELP)

Suite Madame Blue (Styx)

The Rain Song (Led Zeppelin)

The Song Remains the Same (Led Zeppelin)

Ticket To Ride (The Beatles)

Turn! Turn! Turn! (The Byrds)

Wanted Dead or Alive (Bon Jovi)

Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)

You Wear It Well (Rod Stewart)

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (The Beatles)

(most anything by Leo Kottke)

(most anything by Leadbelly)

(most anything by Gordon Lightfoot)

(most anything by Roger McGuinn)

Now you'll be really, really busy!

Thanks guys!

I'm pleased to note that everything is still where I left it last night...with the exception of the tuning, though it's not too bad, no worse than I'd suspect for something that hasn't seen strings in I don't know how long.

I'm still waiting on the pickguard. The vote at home is for black...perhaps because the back and sides are more of a dark walnut in color and the tortoise shell looks too red with it.

After looking at the latest photos I find myself leaning toward black. Actually I feel very strongly both ways.:dunno: Either way, t's gonna be pretty.

I really loved the red, but looking at it now, with everything else pretty much all done.. my vote is for the black. It just fits better with the whole.

This is one MARVELOUS project! I loved reading through it. I'll go on the looksee for the earlier topic about it, since I take it there is another one.

One word: WOW. *thumbs up*

Thanks for checking on me...everything seems to have settled out fairly well. Still in tact (a major accomplishment). I'm not quite ready for the studio though - I'll have to do it soon - I play so poorly, you won't know if it's me or the guitar!