mcknett

The $2 Twelve String Project!

mcknett    1

It's officially started. The parts are all here, all I need are the clamps (two more sources to check before I invest).

I cleaned up the fretboard with a little lemon oil. Removed the pickguard with a blow dryer (thanks, Les, for the frets.com link! Soooo much information!!)

As soon as I have the clamps I need I'll attach the new bridge plate, then we'll go from there.

Check the images...fretboard before and after, pickgaurd before, removed, and...your vote counts - black or tourtoise shell?

2228.attach

2229.attach

2231.attach

2232.attach

2233.attach

CanuckTodd    0

Tortoise shell gets my vote!

Anything 12 string gets my attention! That's my first (and only acoustic guitar) and I just love the sound. Have fun and I look forward to hearing your first post once she's all assembled. (Assuming she's a she!)

mcknett    1

Les,

I can't thank you enough for the frets.com link...so much fantastic information! I dont' think this project stood a chance without it! (That's assuming it actually does stand a chance.)

mcknett    1

Keep those votes coming! By the way, here's what the original pick guard .looked like before I took it off (it was loose in several places).

Today I cut a bridgeplate from 1/8" hardrock maple I acquired from a woodworkers supply shop nearby. It was scrap they planed down for me. I also picked up a polymer based adhesive to attach the maple to the existing bridge plate - filling the holes in the process. I've chosen this path as a) I'm not confident enough to try and remove the existing plate, and B) frets.com used the same technique for a similar repair (I'm not arguing with the professionals)

The attached image shows the new bridge, existing...well...holes, and the bridge plate add-on.

2240.attach

2241.attach

Lcjones    8

OK, hey....

Not to throw a wrench into the works here, because what you're doing is totally all about guitars ......but, as I look at that picture of the bridge and top pin holes, they are reversed.

Just make sure I'm not seeing that backwards.... the pins holes aren't going to line up..... or am I mistaken.

Les

mcknett    1

You're right on Les. The guitar seems to be the odd ball. That's one of the reasons why I decided to add the maple bridge plate (the other being the loss of wood between the holes on the original plate). I had originally intended to put a Mitchel Platemate on...but it's set up just like the new bridge. So I'll fill the holes with polymer when I add the new plate, shave the top down for the new bridge, glue it in place with the hide glue, then drill through the bridge, polymer, top, and plate (with another piece of maple as a backer to keep the chipping down) and touch up the finish with a little clear nail polish.

(That's the plan anyway)

mcknett    1

Congratulations! It's a clamp! Born of necessity and ingenuity!

I stopped by my welder friends shop to see if he had any clamps that would work. He had the same 10 pound monsters I found at work. But he did come up with this idea. He added extensions to an existing "eagle beak" which would fit through the sound hole and over the bracing. Here it is!

Cost of item...I put him on the bid list at work for new vehicles (Switch and Go, to be precise...so if you are on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and you need such a thing, let me know http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/images/smilies/wink1.gif )

When I picked up the clamp, I was talking to his secretary/dispatcher about why I needed such an item, she asked if I could help her with her guitar...I'll have a look at it on Monday.

Here's the result.

2258.attach

CanuckTodd    0
Congratulations! It's a clamp! Born of necessity and ingenuity!

I stopped by my welder friends shop to see if he had any clamps that would work. He had the same 10 pound monsters I found at work. But he did come up with this idea. He added extensions to an existing "eagle beak" which would fit through the sound hole and over the bracing. Here it is!

Here's the result.

Boy, attaching that clamp to your guitar is really going to make it heavy to play! :D

mcknett    1

So...

With the top taped to avoid the ooze, I lathered my new bridge plate with epoxy and stuck it in place. I spread more epoxy on the top to fill the holes. I then used the monster capo with a block of wood to spread the pressure and...

We'll see when I get back this afternoon. This epoxy is sandable, well, probably now.

(The clamp resting on one popsicle stick kept everything in place without distorting the top!)

2260.attach

2261.attach

mcknett    1

I placed wax paper on the inside to catch any drips. I also scraped off the excess as soon as I had the clamp on. I used my iSight camera to have a look.