Ola

Gibson j45 vs Taylor 410

Hi,

My first post on the forum even if I spent quite some time here...

I'm about to buy my second guitar, been playing a bit over a year on a cheap Fender. Visited my local guitar shop last week and played a lot of different guitars, ended up with Martin D16, Taylor 410 and Gibson j45, finally Taylor and Gibson.

Now I have big problems to decide between these 2, they sound quite different.. and I like them both. Taylor felt more balanced in sound and better when strumming, it also felt more genuine construction wise and "better in my hands"

Gibson on the other hand had a deeper warmer sound, more dynamic than the Taylor, especially when finger picking. More feeling and surprises sound wise. The weight balance didn't feel as good as the Taylor but it might only be that it's different from the guitar I have now so I think I can get used to it.

Problem is I play all kind of styles, fingerpicking, strumming...

Any opinions on which to choose? Or recomendations on other guitars I should try?

Thanks.

Ola

You really need to play them more and see which one speaks to you most. They are different and which is best is subjective.

Personally, I tend to prefer the Martin tone over Taylor or Gibson, but that is very general. I've played many Martins I didn't like and I have played Gibsons and Taylors I do like.

Thanks for your feedback.

D-Dawn, your suggestion would have been great if I was a millionaire...

Yes, I will definitely play both of them more. Last time I played maybe 10 guitars, it should be "easier" next time with only 2 to concentrate on.

Read the reviews as well, thanks Allthumbs, difficult to choose a guitar based on reviews but it's good to get some extra information.

/Ola

Thanks for your feedback.

D-Dawn, your suggestion would have been great if I was a millionaire...

/Ola

Yeah I figured as much...just keep playing those 2 until one of them screams "Take me home!" it'll let you know :)

Guest johnny64

I have to tell you that there's nothing like playing quality Gibson or Martin Acoustic guitars. I own a Robert Johnson L-1 Gibson, and a Martin D-28 and I'll tell you what, these have to be without a shadow of a doubt the two best dreadnoughts one could own for the price. Just a couple of the finer investments that i was fortunate enough to include in my arsenal. Talk back at ya soon ! Johnny

If you like both guitars well enough that you know you'll be happy with either one, spend a little time searching for the best prices you can find and get the less expensive one. Or flip a coin. With either method, your final choice is left to fate. If you are not happy with the choice fate makes for you, get the other guitar.

Hey, it's just a guitar, not a spouse. If you change your mind in the future, it's easy to change guitars. And the guitar will not be heartbroken or angry:smilinguitar:

definitely go with the gibson, you cannot go wrong. the taylor 410 sounds really twangy and bright to me personally, very happy sounding which im not sure i care for. the gibson has a very warm tone and is a classic guitar which will only get better with age. as far as taylors go i do like the 514ce. its a little more pricy but sounds pretty killer. i ended up going with the gibson after months of playing different guitars. martins are nice too, but i think they are more old mannish and i find them a bit tougher to play. i almost went with a d28, its an amazing sounding guitar so u might want to check that out too. i didnt like the neck on the martin and the gibson felt better in my hands. also ryan adams, pete yorn, amos lee lots of pro's go with gibsons and actually play the j45. it is a sweet looking guitar as well. i think low end taylors and low end martins arent what theyre known for, i would go d18 above for martins or taylor 500's or aboves if considering those brands. if you wanna spend less than a grand i would check out guilds (gad30) or epiphone masterbuilts.

but as everyone will probably tell you it is about how you like the guitar. theres really no right or wrong answer, whichever one feels good to play and sounds good to you if what you should go with. i personally liked all the gibsons i played much more than the martins and taylors, especially the hummingbird, man is that smooth.

kevin