snerak

Some Help

Hiya

I'm new to the forum and also new to guitars, i haven't got one yet but i'm looking to get one, thing is i don't know anyone who plays guitar so i'm not sure what's a good one to go for to start with!

I've read the bit on this site about buying one and i've been looking at the Maestro 38, does anyone know if that's any good?

In my view as a beginner and not knowing anyone else who plays just buy anything cheap! Even argos buddy, then get it set up correctly by a shop or pro and it willsound ok, learn a few cords and if you get the bug and find a style you like then look for a guitar that suits you then.

I forgot to add, I started with a cheap Stagg that was setup correctly and have since moved on to a high end Fender acoustic. Once I learnt a few cords and knew that I would stick at it I then went and searched every shop within 50 miles and tried just about all the acoustic guitars in southern Ireland. When you hold and hear the tone of the right guitar all I can say is you will know and that will be the one for you

Where do you live? That will determine what we can suggest. I looked for the guitar you mentioned. I couldn't find much on it. It is for sale at Toy's R Us which makes me a little itchy. I would be very concerned about the durability of such a low priced guitar. Laminate is to be expected in that price range so that is not nesecarily a bad thing. The ebonized fretboard may be a problem down the road. I would strongly suggest having a good look at one before you buy it. You realize that you are looking at a nylon string classical guitar? Tell us what the price range is your looking for.

snerak,

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GBME/Maestro/

If you are serious about learning the guitar .......

I don't know, but I'd add 25 or 30 bucks, or pounds, and get a slightly better guitar from a music shop and not Toys-R-Us. I may be wrong. It may be a fine guitar. But it looks to me as if it's a childs guitar.

The reason I say this is that some of these type and price guitars are virtually useless. They do not stay in tune. The ability to be tuned and/or adjust for correct intonation is nearly impossible. The frustration level of having a guitar that can't be tuned or won't stay in tune has been the ending point in many a budding guitarists career.

I'd send UGB here on the board a message and ask his advice for a starter guitar.

Les

Hi,

I'm a beginner too, but in terms of buying a guitar, here's what I've learned. Just any old cheap guitar may lead you to frustration and quitting. The first inexpensive guitar I had, the strings were too far away from the neck so it was hard and painful to play. Over the last couple of years, I would start trying to learn, and get very frustrated with the pain and the sound. Recently I started learning on my husband's guitar which had much better action, but was quite large for me, so correct positioning was difficult. Now I have a guitar that both fits me and has great string action. The difference in how my practice sessions go and what I am able to do is incredible.

So my humble advice as a beginner is to try out a bunch of guitars in your price range to find one that you are comfortable with.

Let us know what you get!

Chris

Another thing to consider is that you can get more choices and better value on a steel string guitar. It is very hard to find a cheap nylon that you won't be disappointed with in a year or so.

Hi snerak, welcome to the forum. It's all been said already, so I'll just second it. Buying too cheap a guitar will just make learning so frustrating, you may well give up before you get started and to add insult to injury, it won't have any resale value! Don't go overboard but do go to a decent guitar shop and get something reasonable. Good luck mon!

Hiya

Thanks for all the advice & info!!

Thankfully I didn’t just rush into buying the first thing I came across, I only mentioned that maestro one as I was looking on Ebay and there seemed to be a load of them on there and not having the slightest clue I thought it might have been ok lol.

I’ve still not bought one yet but I’ve been doing some further looking, I’m from Glasgow, and there’s a shop called mccormacks that I’ll probably go and visit. I’ve checked their website and they have a Stagg SW201N, Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar, it’s £39.99, my budget is about £40-£50, I don’t want to spend too much incase I don’t take to playing the guitar as much as I want.

Going by what you’ve all said it’s best to buy your first guitar from a shop so you can try it out so that’s what I’ll do. I’m a bit nervous about going into the music store seeing as I’ve never played an instrument in my life (exept from school when u got to mess around with recorders and percussion things) but I suppose I won’t be the only non-musical person they’ve ever had in the shop!!

Thanks again for all the help & info, I’ll let yez know how I get on:)

I'd say you're doing the right thing by taking your time. Shops can certainly be intimidating but the staff are usually friendly and helpful, they probably deal with new payers every day. It is important you hold the guitar to see if you are comfortable with its size. I'd also ask the staff to play it for you to see if you like how it sounds. Good luck.