Chris P.

Accoustic Guitar Recommendations?

allthumbs    8
What is it about Rogue that is not favorable? The ones I played sounded really good and were a steal for the money. The reviews that they have are also favorable form what I have seen, but in either case at least 6 out of 7 isnt bad.
When ever I read reviews on guitars I look for the experience of the person writing the review. I put little faith in a review that states that this is my first guitar. On the other hand I give considerable weight to a player who has been playing for many years and has a creditable list of guitars he has owned or played. I find the harmony central reviews tend to be overly positive almost always in their reviews in the opinion of my friends who have been playing many many years.

si16    10
Hi Guys,

Just starting the guitar, looking at the Washburn D52SW, I was wondering if you chaps would recommend this.

Derek

PS I'm in the UK

Hi Derek, welcome along. I'm not an expert on guitar makes and types but Washburn have a reputation for quality instruments at a good price. The D in the model code would suggest this is a Dreadnought which is a large guitar which is particularly suited for strumming, some people can find them uncomfortable. They can be certainly be played fingerstyle but the strings tend to be a bit further away from the fretboard which can make life more difficult for beginners.

So it's probably a good instrument but there's some other factors you might want to take into consideration.

I'm Looking to learn picking and strumming, basically I'm looking to do a range of stuff from, eagles, cat stevens to irish ballads, not looking to be an expert or anything but would like a guitar that has a good clear sound, any recommendations???

Derek

Lcjones    8
I'm Looking to learn picking and strumming, basically I'm looking to do a range of stuff from, eagles, cat stevens to irish ballads, not looking to be an expert or anything but would like a guitar that has a good clear sound, any recommendations???

Derek

You're going to want a nice warm, mellow tone. I wouldn't hesitate to look at a Guild GAD 25.

Les

si16    10

Derek this probably isn't much help but I'd say just go to your nearest music store and explain your requirements. Most staff are pretty helpful and wouldn't try and unload something on you that's not suitable. There are many good guitars available in your price range, you could probably manage to get a good solid top acoustic rather than a laminate top.

Always make sure you hold every guitar you try to see if it is comfortable for you. Also, as you're just beginning, I would ask the staff member to play the guitar for you to see if you like the tone.

If it feels right and sounds right then that's the guitar for you.

I have recently got the guitar after a lot of sampling, eventually went a few quid over budget and bought a Tanglewood DLX Ovankol. I am now a very happy bunny, The Guitar cost £339 sterling and has a beautiful sound, can't get over it's quality to some of the higher price range stuff.

Thanks for your help

Derek:yeahhh: :smilinguitar:

OldG    3

Nice choice,Derek!

We have a Tanglewood TW45NS here... It's a beautiful guitar that has really helped my wife progress with her playing -best £350 I ever spent! I'm sure yours will look after you too:winkthumb:

coldethyl    0
I appreciate the advice, however I should have stated my price range, £250 to £300 uk sterling max. Sorry for the hassle guys.

Derek

Glad to see you're happy with your choice of guitar Derek!:yes: