Chris P.

Accoustic Guitar Recommendations?

Hey Chris,

Of course, that all depends on how deep your pockets are! ;) I'd take a look at the Guild GAD25 series for a nice mid-range acoustic. Not a bad deal ....

And of course again, ask a thousand guitarists and you'll get a thousand different answers! :)

Good luck in your hunt!

Les

I tried a few before I decided on a seagull, but I am having a problem right now and i'm not sure if its the guitar or me its a high pitched ping noise I get that drives me nuts. One acoustic I didn't like were the fenders

Hey Chris

It might be worthwhile having a think about budget, and also what you are looking to play on it.

I own a Taylor Doyle Dykes Anniversay Model,and thoroughly recommend them, however they are more than most people would wish to pay.

I also think Maton guitars are really decent instruments ( I own an ECW80C).

However it really comes down to budget

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. UGB had some good questions - I should have included that info. When I looked at the Guild link, I saw that the GAD25 was a dreadnaught (sp?), which I understand is the largest guitar body.

I am 5'3" with a slight build. I am currently playing my husband's Washburn, I am not certain what model it is. It feels large to me, although, I am new to playing, so it may just be a matter of getting used to it. I have to reach my right arm way around, and my left hand is having a hard time reaching chords. Some of these problems are things that may well resolve themselves with practice, ie reaching chords. Someone on the list mentioned that everyone feels like their hands are too small when they start out. My hands are small, but I am a pianist and they can stretch an octave with keys in between and are pretty nimble. I have faith they will do what I want them to, once they understand what that is.

What kind of music do I want to play? Hmmmm - there's a lot I enjoy: folk, rock, bluegrass, blues. Would I be limited to a style by a guitar purchase?

My budget? I understand that I can get a decent guitar in the $300 - $400 range. I know I am a rank beginner at guitar, but my regard for musical instruments leads me to think I don't want to go too cheap.

Chris

Did you see the sticky thread I wrote at the top of this forum on acoustic guitars? If you can look at the label inside your husband's Washburn, I can tell you what it is.

My wife is 4"-10" so I have a good idea how big 5"-3" is. *In my opinion*, a Jumbo or Dreadnought is too big for you. A Grand Auditorium might also be too big. I'd start looking at 000 and Folk sized guitars to start and don't rule out a Parlor.

You might want to check out the Martin Mini, great playing and sounding guitar. My son bought a Martin D-15 a little over a year ago and man is that thing starting to open up and boom. My D-18 seemed like it took a couple of years to "deepen'? The Mini can be had for around $300 and my son paid $600 for the D-15. I'm going to get myself a mini for my lunch breaks and travel. If possible you should go play everything before you buy. Size and Sound vary from maker to maker. The good thing with Martins is they don't lose value, so you can always trade up and not lose. They do have a economy line now that are not made of good wood, I'd stay clear of those.

But as usual, just my .02

~Hippy

I started out on a Ovation, I think it was the Celebrity model, and it has served me well. If you think you will be playing for some time to come you should really think about spending a few more dollars to buy a nicer model.

Hi,

The label inside of my husband's guitar is pretty faded. It clearly says: Gearge Washburn, but it is impossible to read the model or serial numbers.

I was wondering about something like the Taylor Big Baby..

The Big Baby is a 15/16th dreadnought. The downside is that the back and sides are laminate.

I do understand that I need to try things on. It's just that my inexperience doesn't come with good judgement yet, and I want to be sure that someone doesn't try to sell me something that is inappropriate, or that I'm not buying a notoriously problematic guitar.

Thanks for all of your ideas!

Chris

Great choice! I think the Taylor Big Baby is a good one for the price, even if it does have laminate back and sides, it does have a solid top most importently. You will eventually develop an ear for the sound you are really looking for and then can determine how much you really want to spend on a higher end guitar. In either case, hear and feel as many guitars as you can in the meantime. Ones that I have had and/or heard which I think you can get a good value for the money are as follows:

Big Baby Taylors

DX series Martins

Blueridge

Art & Luthier (sometimes calles A&L)

Takamine

Yamaha

Rogue

All of these can give you a decent guitar for the money, and I do not think you can go wrong with any of these, especially if you plan to upgrade later on; of course this is my opinion, but try them and see for yourself.

Have fun,

Anthony

I wouldn't put Rogue on that list, but otherwise it's pretty good!

Don't sweat your first guitar being a laminate body. MOST guitar players have a laminate body guitar and a healthy percentage have laminate tops. I demo guitars to new players all the time and it takes a while for most to develop an ear to appreciate the differences any way. Most new players want a shiney guitar for around $100 so you're WAY ahead of the game.

What is it about Rogue that is not favorable? The ones I played sounded really good and were a steal for the money. The reviews that they have are also favorable form what I have seen, but in either case at least 6 out of 7 isnt bad.

I've only played maybe 3 of them and I could find better guitars for the same money. Rogue is a 3rd line of Gibson. Gibson - Epiphone - Rogue, just like Washburn - Oscar Schmit - Lyon/Vinci. As a Washburn dealer I can tell you that Lyon and Vinci guitars are, to my knowledge, ONLY available at big box stores ala Target, Sears, Kmart, etc. Likewise Rogue is only available, to my knowledge, from MusiciansFriend.com and maybe Guitar Center? I've never been to a Guitar Center, I don't know. I know they're the same company but they do have a few unique products lines to themselves. It's been my experience that anything that comes from a big box store or mail order from a large chain has not been set up. I'll probably be taking a Lyon Strat clone in on a trade later this week and I've not yet made up my mind if I want to take the time and money to fix it up to sell or just use it for parts.

The coolest thing about my job/business is that I get to stock about 4-5 guitars that on paper are pretty much the same guitar and then play them side by side. It's fun to show customers the difference in them, however, the hardest thing a new player/customer can appreciate is how a solid top will open up down the road w/playing.

I have an Ovation Celebrity CC026, which fits in your price range. Also the fretboard is a bit narrower than other acoustics. It took me a while to get used to as I didn't try before I bought. You can hear it in a new post in the members recording section titled "1 verse of BMR".

The drawback of the Ovation is the round bowl. It doesn't sit in your lap well and you pretty much always need a strap. Also the bass sound is a bit thiner, but in general it has a very nice crisp clean sound.

Hi,

Thank you for all of your tips. I did a lot of research on-line and decided to try out the Taylor Big Baby and the Martin DX series. But - today my husband traded his old stand up bass for a Yamaha FG 160 plus cash, and gave me the Yamaha. It is a good size, with good action and a nice sound (to me - what do I know?!) so I'll use this one while I'm getting started, then maybe later trade up. I have no idea how old it is - it is a vintage model. Anyone know the FG 160 history?

Chris

I spent some big money, to me anyway in 1990 for my Martin D-18 and never even thought I'd have to have a highend guitar setup, but once I did ( about a year after owning it) I couldnt believe the difference. the way the Luthier I use explained to to me is that most companys use a setup that sounds good and will be good for climate changes. So I suggest no matter what anyone buys, take it to a pro and have it setup and dont skimp on the strings. All of my guitars that I play regularly get a setup every 6 months and strings about every 10 hours of play time.

But as usual thats just my .02

~Hippy

Okay, Hippie, I'm such a newbie I don't know what a set-up is. Please explain...

New strings every 10 hours???? Does that mean 'hard' play time? I try to practice at least an hour each day, should I really be changing strings every 10 days? Can I afford it? Yikes!

Chris

Hello Chris P.

Go to Breedlove guitars web site and look at their Atlas series guitars. The AC200 may fill your needs and within your budget. If you want to murky up the water with another brand,

I have the AD200 but wish now I new more and went witht the AC.( I'm 6'3" but the AC model sits better in my lap for fingerstyle, it's all personal)

UGB is highly regarded at this forum and he has access to a lot of differnt brands too.

For the price range you gave I think it will be hard to find a solid body. I think most guitars in your price will have some percentage of laminate and a percentage of it will be made in asia as well.

Good luck.

The more I looked the more I found. I finally gave in to a price I was willing to spend then went and played everything I could until one just called out to me. Ultimately the Breedlove.

All these post to help and it may finally boil down to what is available in your area.

Regards,

Mike

I may be mistaken but I believe UGB recommends the Washburn F10S as a good starter.

I will be corrected if I'm incorrect.

Tough choices ahead.

Mike

Chris,

I definitely don't change my strings every 10 hours of play. I change them when I notice the sound getting dull. If you don't notice anything then maybe after a couple months. And if you can't even tell the difference then, maybe stretch it out some more.

A setup is when the guitar is adjusted for neck straightness (truss rod), string height (action) above the fretboard, and intonation (on an electric w/adjustable saddle, so that the notes don't go out of pitch up the fretboard). Maybe even filing the nut would be part of a setup if needed. Sort of like the basic tuneup on a car.

Hello Chris. If you haven't deceided yet, you might want to check out the Guild GAD30series. These are OM size guitars, all solid woods, beautifully made, very affordable, though a bit outside of the price range you listed. New, they run about in the $600-$650 range for a mahogony model with a natural finish, a bit more for rosewood and/or sunburst finish. However, there is a barely used one listed in the classified section on the Acoustic Player Magazine forum for $500. The owner is selling because he succumbed to GAS.

I have a redwood version of this guitar. I also have some much more expensive guitars, and I think this is evey bit as good as guitars that cost much more money. Imo, this is a great guitar for beginners (as well as everyone else). Very easy to play, fast, comfortable neck, plenty of room at the nut,and best of all, great tone. I truly don't think you can beat it for the money.

And no, I'm not a salesman for Guild.:laughingg: