yakbutter

Which major chord shape sounds the best?

Pick a chord, any chord...  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Pick a chord, any chord...

• C Major: -32010
    • D Major: --0232
    • E Major: 022100
    • G Major (1): 320003
    • G Major (2): 320033
    • A Major: -02220
    • Eb15dim7sus4 major minor party edition

yakbutter    0

When you are first learning guitar, all the major chord shapes sound alike. But as you play more and more, you will prefer certain shapes to others.

Personally, I think the basic D major shape is my least favorite, because it not only misses the first F# after the root, but it only has 2 D's, 1 A, and an F# in the treble.

My favorite is the C major because all the notes are as close together as possible and it sounds just...pretty!

I like G Major (2). It's full and brighter than (1). I actually use both when playing Mother from Pink Floyd. I use 1 for the standard verse and then 2 for the response from mother, the "Hush now baby baby..." part.

The other advantage is switching from G to D, my ring finger is an anchor. :)

Wayne

WernHalen    0

Depending on the music you play and the guitar the chords have different qualities... I chose the E chord because of the powerfull hard rock rythms you can play just using the top three or four stings...

Otherwise on the acoustic I would prefer the G6 or Gmajor (2) as you called it...

wjp01908    0

I`m a D major man - can`t say why for certain - it just seems to me to have a happy quality.

Is dropping the low E to D cheating?

Will

Depending on the music you play and the guitar the chords have different qualities... I chose the E chord because of the powerfull hard rock rythms you can play just using the top three or four stings...

Otherwise on the acoustic I would prefer the G6 or Gmajor (2) as you called it...

See, now I new it had to have a name and G6 even came to mind. Before I said anything I figured I would check first. Not one of the 5 or 6 sites I checked showed a G6 in this fingering. I'm not doubting you, just confused that the most natural progression from a G to a G6 is not depicted on these sites? :dunno:

Wayne

D-Dawn    0
See, now I new it had to have a name and G6 even came to mind. Before I said anything I figured I would check first. Not one of the 5 or 6 sites I checked showed a G6 in this fingering. I'm not doubting you, just confused that the most natural progression from a G to a G6 is not depicted on these sites? :dunno:

Wayne

I've been confused about this at times also.(calling a Gadd5 a G...or a Cadd9 a C)...different sites and books naming the same chords different names...confusing to a noob...Now I am a bit more confused as the fingering I believed to be called Gadd5 you are calling a G6! ARRRGGGGHHH! :helpsmili

allthumbs    8
I've been confused about this at times also.(calling a Gadd5 a G...or a Cadd9 a C)...different sites and books naming the same chords different names...confusing to a noob...Now I am a bit more confused as the fingering I believed to be called Gadd5 you are calling a G6! ARRRGGGGHHH! :helpsmili

I can understand your confusion. The second G chord in the poll is just a variation of a G. It can be called G add 5 because the added note on the second string is the five interval. There is no 6 to be found in that chord. From bass to top string the intervals are 1,3,5,1,5,1. Your adding a 5 to the treble part of the chord which is why it sounds so much brighter. Pretty chord isn't it. You could however play a G6 by just playing the top4 strings open giving you the intervals 5,1,3,6.

How can the same chords have different names? The answer is that while the notes stay the same, the intervals change. A simple example is an Am7 chord at the fifth fret.From 4th string to first sting, the intervals are. b7,b3,5,1. which can be barred with one finger. Handy that. The exact same notes in the same place can also be considered a C6 chord From fourth string to first string the intervals are 5,1,3,6.

Naming the chords is a matter of how they fit logically into a tune depending on the key. As you can see, knowing intervals makes understanding this stuff a bit easier. That is one of the many things Plane Talk will teach you when your ready.

Hope that helps.

BigG    0

Eb15dim7sus4 major minor party edition. Hey it was quite a party. I'm the first one to recognize a joke when I see one. Doesn't happen too often to a lowly accountant cum programmer.:laughingg: :laughingg:

WernHalen    0

Sorry about the typo on that one.... I see I created a lot of confusion... The 5 and 6 is too close together on my keyboard for my fingers... :oops: actually all the keys are too close togehter... I make alot of typos... Sorry again...

AT is right there are a lot of chords out there that could have two different names... two that comes to mind is the F#/D or Bm7... or the E/C or Am7... etc.

Lcjones    8
I`m a D major man - can`t say why for certain - it just seems to me to have a happy quality.

Is dropping the low E to D cheating?

Will

Yep. D is it for me too. And you can ask Neil Young if it's cheating!

Musicians don't cheat they improvise and improve. :)

Les

Cheer Down

Stratrat    0

Had to go with G Major (1). Inexplicably, it always seems to be the first chord I grab when I pick up a guitar, either in the (1) configuration or an 'E-form' barre.

I picked E because I thought it suited my voice best & I also use it to check my tuning. But you couldn't do without G or C or D or any of them really, could you?

I strum a D and a G to check my tuning. The D chord is very unforgiving when it comes to tuning and the G takes care of the full body check for me. :winkthumb:

allthumbs    8
What is Eb15dim7sus4 major minor party edition? :eek:

That is a chord you attempt to play after way too many drinks at a party. It involves using all your fingers and toes. Other body parts are also added depending on the quality of the booze consumed. Elbows and foreheads are popular.

Stratrat    0
The booze is required to actually hear it. It's like a dog whistle, only the drunk people will cheer when you play it. :laughingg:

So it's one of the chords used in "Louie Louie" then? :D