allthumbs

cigarbox amp

A friend of mine built me 1/2 watt cigarbox amp for for 70 bucks. It sounds like a marshal stack and is very very loud. it has a power off switch to save the battery and a toggle from 20 to 200 for gain. It rocks. I will upload a take using it sometime. It is so small, I could move the electronics into a cigarette sized box. Notice my tech gal Micky checking the amp for me.

189.attach

190.attach

I can go through my modeler set to clean or my bad monkey pedal with the settings at clean both running straight into the pc. I could hook up a little 4 inch speaker if i wanted to. My friend sold one to a studio musician who records with it. Every one he makes has a different tone, He made a real mellow one that he put into a cottenel box. One of the reasons I am getting a mini max attenuater is so i can play it through my blues junior. It is so loud that I have to have the amp turned down to .5 which kinda defeats all that high gain goodness. Bonus is that the mini has a line out so i can finally record from my amp.

I will probably make some in the spring just to see if I can do it myself.

My friend who made me this one has decided to mass produce them. I will find a link to his site for you. He has also begun to market a custom guitar called a Camelback. I would love to get one. The tonal variety is amazing.

Found it. www.rockbeachguitars.com

Thanks allthumbs. And lucky me, I don't have an amp yet, so that will be a cool first. :winkthumb: Those camelbacks look like they would have a really nice sound too, but they are outta my price range.

the amp is a simple 386 audio amp ic, it only needs a few parts to build it and they can all be gotten ar radio shack, if u can soldier a couple parts and some wire u can build it cheap

chuck

I played his prototype last year. Sweet axe. It has a real clean tone but, can howl with a tweak. It can sound like a strat or an lp and anything in between. If I ever win the loto, I'm getting at least one.

Remember you still need an amp or cab to play the cg amp through. It is incredibly load for a 1/2 watt mini amp.

I have one of the Smokey Amps, but really don't like it at all. Basically it's just distortion, but IMO not very good.

http://www.smokeyamps.com/Smokey_Pages/smokey.html

I may build myself one of these. Probably have all the parts right here at work.

I will knock out a quick take using it soon. I have to do one anyway for my friend to load onto his site as a sample clip. I have his first prototype. He has a volume knob on the next generation.

just came back from radio shack, got most of the parts for $16.00, had the capacitors one of the switches and resistor, gonna build it in a speaker box, have an old cassette player - radio and the cassette doesnt work, but it has nice sounding spkrs, will take some pic's as i make it

chuck

ps, radio shack is not the cheapest place to buy the parts, can prob get them for half or less from mail order

confused?-why make little itty bitty amps?-btw fender makes a little belt clipable battery operated-but why is beyond my comprehension.

im gonna build one just because i can, they are lite, if u wanna just sit outside on a warm evening it makes a nice little practice amp, u dont have to carry ur big amp out

chuck

thanks allthumbs, nice site, lots of info, im also building a 50watt amp with 2x10 spkrs, might build in a spring reverb, have the spring reverb unit, just need to build electronics for it, ive been playing around with electronics for many years, off and on

thanks again

chuck

the speakers are some i had thrown in the closet, first i built the circuit on the bench so i could check it out, then i mounted the parts into the speaker case, not the neatest job ive ever done, this thing will surprise you, its got a lot of volume for such a simple amp, im thinking of making another one using 2 amp chips and using a larger speaker, this one was built out of old parts i had in my junk box of parts, except the circuit board

chuck

PS, i mounted the battery on the back, so i dont have to take it apart to change

1717.attach

1718.attach

1719.attach

1720.attach

1721.attach

CW, That was a good idea putting in an existing speaker cab. I've got the perfect speaker for that. I may have to go scrounge'n for parts at work today so I can build mine. Not sure why I need one, but what the hay it feeds my GAS.

we have a family reunion in aug, some of the people bring guitars and we sit around a campfire in eve, i thought that a couple of these amps would work good out there, so im gonna build a couple more, the next one i thing i will build using two 386 chips which will give 1 watt, if u need diagrams, check out the web site allthumbs gave, has a bunch of diff stuff there

chuck