Clancy

The Recording Booth - Feedback needed

Looks great Clancy... You could probably combine the Recording Advise/Help and the

Playing Advice/Help, as sub-forums of a parent called something like, Recordings for

Evaluation, or something similar... I can't think of a cool title right now...!!!

So you would basically have 2 Parents, with 2 sub-forums each, instead of 3 parents...

Does this make any sense...? I haven't had my coffee yet...!!!

I like the idea of moving the Songwriting forum and include it within the Recording booth...!!!

Cheers

Ben

Looks great Clancy... You could probably combine the Recording Advise/Help and the

Playing Advice/Help, as sub-forums of a parent called something like, Recordings for

Evaluation, or something similar... I can't think of a cool title right now...!!!

I agree with Ben about this Clancy. Often when I post, it's both for playing and recording feedback, and I wouldn't want to have to post the same song in both.

And I agree - so far, your ideas look great Clancy!

Jim

Thanks for the feedback Ben and Jim,

I think the problem we are having with some peoples threads being somewhat overlooked is that the question is not asked as to what they want advice on... I think if you put a recording in a general area like (recording and playing tips) your post may get overlooked as you are asking for two different types of advice in the one thread. I think that a recording looking for "recording advice" and "playing advice" could be posted in both forums... for example if you want playing advice, then you could start a thread in the "playing advice" forum and describe what you are looking for in regards to feedback. You could then use the link to that attachment (save uploading it again) and post another thread asking about recording advice in the "recording advice" forum. I think that could work quite well for the members looking for advice on both things. Most members however will be looking for advice on one or the other so I think I'll work better in two separate forums.

That's what I'm thinking anyway, but I'm very willing to take other opinions on board.

Thanks again.

Clancy

I think you're on very much the right track Clancy. If you are asking other members of the forum specifically for help or criticism of your work, it makes sense to me to put them in a 'help requested' thread. I don't think you need to have separate recording/playback sub forums within that parent forum, as Jim and Ben have both already suggested. Conversly, if somebody just wants to showcase their work, (or maybe link to somebody else's) and does not mind whether other members want to comment or not, it makes very good sense to me to put them in a 'comments purely optional' thread. :)

Thanks for the feedback Ben and Jim,

I think the problem we are having with some peoples threads being somewhat overlooked is that the question is not asked as to what they want advice on... I think if you put a recording in a general area like (recording and playing tips) your post may get overlooked as you are asking for two different types of advice in the one thread. I think that a recording looking for "recording advice" and "playing advice" could be posted in both forums... for example if you want playing advice, then you could start a thread in the "playing advice" forum and describe what you are looking for in regards to feedback. You could then use the link to that attachment (save uploading it again) and post another thread asking about recording advice in the "recording advice" forum. I think that could work quite well for the members looking for advice on both things. Most members however will be looking for advice on one or the other so I think I'll work better in two separate forums.

That's what I'm thinking anyway, but I'm very willing to take other opinions on board.

Thanks again.

Clancy

Clancy,

As long as it's accepted practice to post your piece in both playing and recording forums if you are really looking for advice on both, without that being considered a form of "spamming", then I'm OK with separate playing/recording sub-forums. I guess in my case I'm usually looking for both, so that's why I wanted to avoid double-posting.

But either way - as long as everyone understands why the same piece would be in two forums - works for me (IMHO!)

Jim

I have a suggestion. Anybody can get a Soundclick page. You could require or, at least, encourage everyone to upload songs there. Let Soundclick pay for the bandwidth. There are several other sites out there that does the same thing as Soundclick. It's a win-win situation. Good for you, good for soundclick. Also good for the person playing the song because they can get it heard by many more people than just the memebers here.

Ok, I've got the radio out of the way and a few other things I needed to do, so I'm ready to split up the Recording Booth forum.

I was thinking that it could be like this:

Parent forum: Finished Works | Showcasing

Sub-forum: Original songs

Subforum: Covers

Parent forum: Recording advice|help

Parent forum: Playing advice|help

I might also move the songwriting forum down to the recording booth and put a section on songwriting (with the ability to upload) there.

Any thoughts on this before I go ahead?

Clancy

I really liked the basics of this idea. Did you just have other priorities jump in front, or were you still thinking of doing something along these lines? This is something that I think would be a very helpful and healthy thing to do for this site.

Steve

I really liked the basics of this idea. Did you just have other priorities jump in front, or were you still thinking of doing something along these lines? This is something that I think would be a very helpful and healthy thing to do for this site.

Steve

Steve, we are still planning to do something along those lines... but we are still thinking on it. We plan on changing the "Recording Booth" part of the forum in the near future. That part of the forum is going to be changed into a completely different format. This unfortunately isn't a small project and things here just keep jumping ahead of it (time wise)... but it's coming. It's just one of the many things on my ever growing list of things to do. :helpsmili

Clancy

Steve, we are still planning to do something along those lines... but we are still thinking on it. We plan on changing the "Recording Booth" part of the forum in the near future. That part of the forum is going to be changed into a completely different format. This unfortunately isn't a small project and things here just keep jumping ahead of it (time wise)... but it's coming. It's just one of the many things on my ever growing list of things to do. :helpsmili

Clancy

Well, just let me know if I can help in any way. I'd be glad to.

Steve

Well, just let me know if I can help in any way. I'd be glad to.

Steve

Careful Steve, I'm looking for a software kind of a guy/gal to help me out with some things on here. :)

Clancy

I think it's definitely a good idea to split some things down- since this is a learning site, I think it would be a good idea to have a section for "technique" where members can post recordings with an eye toward improving whatever they are working on at the time. Also, I think it is a good idea to request that if you are going to post a song, state the reason(s) you are posting and the kind of feedback you are looking for. If someone is looking for some really tough criticism with an eye toward serious improvement, but doesn't say so, he/she could get a barrage of "Hey, that sounds great!" (which it very well may!), but would not result in the player getting better.

Hopefully, I haven't rambled too much- just getting my first cuppa now.

I think the split for covers is good! Now when people do covers they should be rated with the five star system mandatory for each listnenr== I know I spelled that wrong.As far as posting goes you can move up and stay up according to rating nes pa? The people who are sort of noodlers (and actualy everybody) should have a rating for donations Behind the scenes.{ the first thirthy days they shoud get full privliages as I did }No star well? are they great? One star, so so, two, even better ,three, and so on, four, yeh baby, five thats what I'm talkin about!! Ther rating by the listners should be tempered in some way with their donation rating. Ok lets take and divide their uninhibited rating by their donation rating and call it a weighted rating. This has to be scruttinized very carefully so as to preclude some one buying their way to nirvana. Ok Maybe Iv'e had one to many tequilas Don julio type!! After thirty days of registration with no donation they should be relagated to guest. I know I would have had no problem with that. I know it costs a fortune to do what you guys do and I thank you very much!!!!!!!Johnbullard Oh Im posting my best song tonight.

IMHO,

While those of us who do post in the Recording Booth strive to play and use recording techniques as best we can, it's not a ratings contest to see who's best or who can get the most stars. Rather many of us who do post recordings hope their recordings might be an incentive for less experienced players to ask questions on how something was done; to learn new playing techniques or chord progressions as well as recording setup and technique.

The RB is certainly not to see who can stay at the top of the list. That becomes exclusionary and might possibly offend or otherwise drive off some players who feel they could not "compete".

If a split of Covers away from "technique and learning" recordings happen its quite possible the folks who post in the "technique and learning" forum would suffer as those more experienced and perhaps even pro players would end up staying in the "Covers" forum.

I think those that have the ability to record such excellent work as has been shown of late, should now go the extra mile and post tab, chord progression and/or a video explaining "how they did it". This would allow the song to be played and heard and at the same time, offer yet an other level of learning to the less experienced or curious. I would also suggest that those who happen to have their own servers, post links to their material on their own servers instead of uploading to GFB & B.

...just my Kentucky Quarters worth.....

Les

Yep! I for one, certainly appreciate the generosity of the 'professional standard' players in posting their work for the listening enjoyment and/or learning benefit of other members, (video's contributions are a real plus) but I would not like to feel 'obligated' to have to cast a vote on those tracks. Probably Soundclick is the forum for that. I do suspect many of us with more humble skills are perhaps a bit reluctant to post our own efforts now. This is guitar for beginners after all, and I think IC has hit the nail on the head in this respect.

Please, please, please don't use a ratings system.

Lcjones is right on the button .... except I have no idea how to write tabs and I don't have a camcorder for videos. All the same I would be willing to contribute 'something' in return for posting songs, at the moment though that would be limited to help/advice where I feel confident enough to offer it.

I don't think it's a good idea to seperate beginners and pros either, I know whenever I've been in the presence of a pro, my eyes are glued to his/her fingers.

Whatever you decide in the end, good luck

John

So confused,

RATINGS

Are equal to an opinion of music flavor for many without regard to the technical side of getting the job done be it vocal or instrumental. I don't feel ratings should be used.

This would suggest separate categories for music.

CONTRIBUTION

I agree with Jomi, some would not be able to contribute to the writings due to lack of knowledge to provide correct or user friendly

material. Although I did see a post relating to the chords used in a tune he played, and mention of using DADGAD tuning in the tune.

I would call that some contribution.

I know I wanted to post a video of a lesson completion. Found it somewhat difficult to do.

MEMBERS MUSIC POST

COVERS

Almost all here started with the knowledge of one, and their desire to play it or someone else's tune is what brought them here in the first place. To learn guitar and sound like their favorite player.

A seperate catagory or post link to other services would be helpful of course.

Other possibilities, a partial tune display, and go to.... to hear more.

ORIGINAL MUSIC

Catagories - This way you choose what you want to hear and comment to. Comments count, replies don't after XX amount of comments that should tell you how people feel about your post.

Sub Catagory - My stuff

Where each player can post some tunes with limits. Like ten of my best and removed by member as new ones appear in their file.

There are not many members here who produce a lot of their own tunes yet. Some new folks just started.

Of course each can place all their tunes on another site like Sound Click if they wish. Or mp3 file to save for practice.

Freeing up server space and bandwidth.

For pro's in the market place, I'll buy there music and listen in I tunes

where I can practice a tune from the knolwedge I aquire here.

As far as our members, I listen to and comment to all. I would want to continue to do so. It allows us all to hear the potential of our member players.

NEWBI - INTERMEIDATE - SEASONED

Were all on the same boat. We will learn from each other. A beginner just might hit off something special that others may find interesting.

Comments in this area sould always be welcomed by all and limited to XXX replies don't count. With 35K people here only 30 make it to a comment post. Now we all know who they are. That leads me to believe the rest are learning or on lessons.

In closing, we just modified the site and limited it to originals posted.

Are we closing the door to that or am I understanding this all wrong.

This thread started with complaints or comments: A PM would shed a light on this.

eddiez

This is a very old thread... about a year old now. It should have been closed. The recording booth will stay as is for now.

Clancy