jbirdAngel

Donations and Ogg Vorbis

Hello,

i have 2 suggestions, 1 is to possibly have a way of donating that doesnt use paypal, i have just canceled my paypal account and am not too eager to use paypal as i have read that sometimes peole get double charged for things or somethings about money being taken that shouldnt have been.

i dont have billions of dollars, i doubt many members here do ;) , and am looking for free guitar learning, however at some point i woudlnt mind donating, as you put work into this and

18For the Scripture says, "(A)YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING," and "(B)The laborer is worthy of his wages." - 1 Timothy 5:18 ASV

the other suggestion i have is to possibly consider using open/free formats, i am using linux and i cannot legally listen to mp3s with it etc. i do have windows so i can just use that, but it would be nice to not have to and you could then perhaps allow more use to more people who dont have and/or dont want to pay for windows, there are free formats out there such as ogg, quicktime doesnt work as easily but does work, however things such as windows video or sound files i wouldnt think would ever be legal to use on linux.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful."- Jesus - John 14:27 ASV

thank you - jason

Hi Jason,

Firstly, you don't have to have a Paypal account to donate. We use Paypal to process the payment, but you can pay by credit card as well. As for Paypal double charging for some things... well accidental duplicate payments can always be reversed... It's probably caused by the person clicking the submit button twice rather than a glitch in Paypal's system I would think... anyway, if you are too worried about it, don't cause yourself any undue stress. The lessons are free and donations aren't necessary or expected.

The other thing is, I can't imagine at this stage changing the format we are using. I don't know all that much about linux I must admit but I can't imagine why you can't legally listen to mp3s with it. If you can use quicktime, why not just listen to mp3s through that? I'm not sure I understand.

WMV is used as it suits the majority of users. I don't expect we will be changing that at any time in the near future.

18For the Scripture says, "(A)YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING," and "(B)The laborer is worthy of his wages." - 1 Timothy 5:18 ASV

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful."- Jesus - John 14:27 ASV

Huh? Don't know what that relates to... You can put that kind of thing in your signature if you feel it is necessary, but let's keep posts on topic.

Cheers

Clancy

As a fellow Linux user (Mepis and Xandros), since I have to dual boot for my studio setup, if I find something that I like, I will convert it to Ogg. That way I can have my fav music on my preferred system. As for any type of windows format, I do the same for WMA files, and for the videos I convert them to .avi.

I prefer Linux, and every year more and more people do also, but it is still not mainstream enough for everyone to post several file formats, but thanks to Open Source tools we can do part of it ourselves.

I don't know all that much about linux I must admit but I can't imagine why you can't legally listen to mp3s with it. If you can use quicktime, why not just listen to mp3s through that? I'm not sure I understand.

Hi Clancy, The restriction is not any sort of technical deficiency with Linux, far from it. Just that the MPEG, Audio Layer 3, (MP3) which Win media player and others use as an ISO standard, is not free or open source software. It's patented and is therefore not legal if distributed with unlicensed, MP3 Decoders and Encoders. The easy fix is to pay for a licensed mp3 player but that kind-of defeats one of the best buzzes Linux can offer. (Raising a digit in the direction of the big corporations ... :) ) Most Linux users use tools which use open source code to convert stuff, like smurf said about Ogg Vorbis.

I would love to donate but I have 2 problems

1 I do not have a credit card (Got into trouble a few years back never again)

2 I do not have pay pal, I think you need a credit card for this so that is no go

Can we pay by Western Union or some thing????