sale

Apollo Guitars

sale    0

Has anybody heard of guitar company called "Apollo".

I found in one shop some very cheap guitars from this company.

Are Apollo guitars good guitar and should I buy a replica of Les Paul,Tele,Stratocaster???

Here are some pictures of Apollo guitars.

Please give your opinions.

Thanks

Sale

1866.attach

1867.attach

1868.attach

i have a epiphone les paul i been playing with for years and i havent had a problem with it.plus the price is decent.not sure if thats what ya had in mind or not.i know its not a gibson but sounds close enough compared to my gibson les.thumbs is right about the chinese but maybe i got luck.the epis are made in china but inspected in usa dont know if that makes a difference or not.

allthumbs    8
Hey Marty, I forgot. Where the Washburn F32SCE made again?

:eek::D

Aren't Agiles made in China too?:dunno:

There are exceptions. The Agiles and Washburns are non native to China and have more rigorous standards enforced in the factories. I am talking homegrown Chinese products. Take a look on flea bay for chinese made guitars if you want a chuckle. One of my personal favourites.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stunning-Chinese-brand-new-electric-guitar_W0QQitemZ7422998701QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

allthumbs    8
i thought apollos was custom made in a guys garage in canada

:laughingg: I took a look on flea bay. There seem to be at least 3 different guitar companies using Apollo as a guitar name not including China.

737blues    0
I wouldn't go for it. Chinese made. The Chinese have just started making guitars in the last ten years. The quality is not there. The reviews are not good.

I don't think you can make that sort of generalisation anymore AT. You really have to relate everything back to the price tag in the end and the equation works both ways. Sometimes I look at a very expensive item made in a first world country and see flaws, which to my mind, just should not be there. Almost all guitars now are made by CRC routers and other machinery which is usually designed, built and installed by European or American companies anyway. The quality of the finished product that it produces can be as high or low as the buyer orders. :)

allthumbs    8
I don't think you can make that sort of generalisation anymore AT. You really have to relate everything back to the price tag in the end and the equation works both ways. Sometimes I look at a very expensive item made in a first world country and see flaws, which to my mind, just should not be there. Almost all guitars now are made by CRC routers and other machinery which is usually designed, built and installed by European or American companies anyway. The quality of the finished product that it produces can be as high or low as the buyer orders. :)

There was a post on here a long while ago about this very thing. It traced the time line of countries building guitars. The manufactures change counties as labour costs go up. Unfortunately that means with each move starts with untrained labour so for the first 5 to 10 years the quality suffers. Ie MIK guitars are more valued than the same guitar MIC. Japan made crap guitars for years then became highly regarded + labour costs etc = Korea. Years later, great guitars, rising costs = China. Indonesia is floating somewhere around the bottom. There are, as I said exceptions and China is getting better but, there is still a ton of low end dreck showing up on flea bay all the time.

This is very clear if you follow the movement and quality of steel guitars through each country. Johnson Steel guitars are much better quality MIK before they moved to China. That will change with time, skilled labour and updated machinery.

There are exceptions. The Agiles and Washburns are non native to China and have more rigorous standards enforced in the factories. I am talking homegrown Chinese products. Take a look on flea bay for chinese made guitars if you want a chuckle. One of my personal favourites.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stunning-Chinese-brand-new-electric-guitar_W0QQitemZ7422998701QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

ahhh, The Daisy Lock*

*apologies for a cheap, ethnic/linguistic joke.

cshude    0

Man, that "Stunning Chinese Guitar" is stunningly oo-glay!!! I like how the shipping charge is $375AU+$8AU for shipping. What a deal!

USGold    0

I have been pretty well satisfied with my Stagg LP model--the finish is supurb and the tone is real good--I would say I got a better guitar from them then I would have from a better known name (probably also chineese made) just not so famously branded. The price versus value is the measurement that means the most to me--would I prefer an American made guitar---sure who wouldn't, but for My $199 could I have gotten a better made/playing guitar--I don't think so--I shopped this guitar pretty hard and made the decision, that for the limited amount of money I had, that I couldn't expect to do much better. Scott----I'd say the proof is in the playing-if you've picked it up-played it-like it --go for it if it satisfies you.

USGold    0

It occurs to me that none of us , in replying have addressed the second part of your quiestion; the part about what style to get--strat, tele, LP etc.--Many here could offer you opinions about what each style of these guitars are good for, what tones and playing styles are acheived by the choice of guitar type--so I'll throw the question back to our "expert panel"--what type of guitar is this guy looking for?

allthumbs    8
so you guys think in future we can expect way better quality work from the chinese?

It happened with Japan and Korea. I don't see why It would not happen with China too.

BTW I have a friend who goes to Japan all the time and raves about the high quality and sheer variety of guitars over there.

737blues    0

Interesting stuff. A lot of the cheaper brands I see discussed on this forum we don't get here in the antipodes. Personally, I would never entertain the idea of buying any guitar on ebay and I guess my view is biased around that perspective. Mind you, after seeing that Daisy Lock. How cool is that? ...... :dunno::D

I have been thinking about getting a Les Paul but can't afford to buy a Gibson, so I've been looking at Epiphones. They seem pretty nicely built to me, made in China or not. (the sticker says China now, not PRC. Am I missing something here?)

the epi is made in china but gets sent back to gibson for final inspecion.its plays good,i cant complain the tones almost match my goldtop.and it was about 2500 dollars cheaper.as one of those people who fell into the if its not american then it isnt any good trap,i can say i was a idiot.yesterday i spent my rehersal time with band playing my squire yes my indoneasian squire that i bought for my son.i had fun with it.as far as getting a les or a strat i guess it depends on your style or type of muisc ya play.i think ya will get more options for playig different styles out of a strat.i can gt more of a crunch out of it.but my les i can some beautiful crisp tones ou of it.i enjoy them both.for metal i perfer none of those i like my dean vx. its low priced and i get everything i can expect out of it.

allthumbs    8

Epis used to be MIK at one time. Funny thing about the Korean guitar factories. There are about 5 big factories that produce maybe 20 different brands of guitars between them. If a company like wallmart or what ever wants to sell a cheapy guitar, they can order a series of guitars that have been modified from a basic template ie, headstock shape, different tuners etc so it is distinctive for that chain. Just like an aftermarket car shop. You can add bling to the guitar but, the chains are interested in maximum profit for minimal investment so the quality of parts and materials can be pretty low. These same factories can put out quality stuff if the purchaser cares to pay for it. Without a recognizable brand name to protect, quality is not an issue for a lot of purchasers.

USGold    0

Agree AT--I have seen some fine Korean guitars--I have been researching Tribute by G&L and to me they look like a better value at the same cost then the MIK fenders--especially looking at the ASAT models--I realize that they are probably made side by side with the fenders--yet the G&L hardware seems a bit finer to me--if I wanted a sunburst tele from fender it would cost-434.95--for the same price i can get a G&L burst finish with what appears to be a little bit nicer hardware/electronics.

allthumbs    8
Agree AT--I have seen some fine Korean guitars--I have been researching Tribute by G&L and to me they look like a better value at the same cost then the MIK fenders--especially looking at the ASAT models--I realize that they are probably made side by side with the fenders--yet the G&L hardware seems a bit finer to me--if I wanted a sunburst tele from fender it would cost-434.95--for the same price i can get a G&L burst finish with what appears to be a little bit nicer hardware/electronics.

G&L Tributes are a good bang for the buck. Thumbs up. BTW, I love my MIK Alleykat..No flaws of any kind on it that I could find.

Hi there. I thought I would just sign on and give a bit of history on the different Apollo Guitars that you may come across.

The original Apollo Guitars produced entry level instruments in the 60's and 70's, most of which were built in the far east. In the late 70's and possibly the early 80's an off-shoot of that company produced guitars under the same name in europe. That company is long gone.

I produce hand made guitars in Canada under the Apollo name. I am in no way connected to the now defunct Apollo Guitar Company that many of you may be familiar with. In fact I did not even know of the old Apollo company when I chose an name for my business.

In greek mythology Apollo was (amoung other things) the God of Music. This is the sole reason for me choosing this name. If the original Apollo company ever starts building guitars again and wants me to change my name I will do so without hesitation.

I build electric guitars as a hobby. I only charge for my parts and materials... not my time. This allows me to build a custom guitar for someone who may not otherwise be able to afford a custom built guitar. I do not try and compete with the mass produced manufacturers and I clearly state my philosophy on guitars and guitar building on my website.

Please feel free to ask me questions directly throungh the email link on my website, or through this forum.

Regards, John

:winkthumb: