Ultimate Garage Band

Money vs. value

KCMike    0

Thanks for the input everyone (I'm really enjoying this forum). I talked with my Dad this morning quite extensively and he told me to stay away from the package deal if possible. He has all the extras including a Marshall amp (he has several due to having the studio), the strap, the picks, & whatever else. He said my best bet is to save my $250 toward the entire guitar.

Since I'm in KC I'm going to go to the Musician's Friend retail center here in town and look around along with my dad. He said there are quite a few things on an electric guitar I'll wanna look at, including the action. He's a busy guy but we might head down there tomorrow.

I told him I was looking at the Epiphone Les Paul & while he said it's a nice one the Gibson would be better in his opinion. He said I should look up a few other choices like a Fender just in case the Gibson is too much or if it isn't a good fit. I just really love that style.

I do like the Dean Cadillac 1980 Electric Guitar though!! :)

Stratrat    0

You're real lucky, Mike - many people don't have the luxury of having such a knowledgeable person to help them make their selection. It sounds like your dad will steer you on the right track, and it's great that you've got access to good amps & accessories through him. Between him and yourself, I'm sure you'll end up with a great setup....be sure to post pics when you get it! :winkthumb:

allthumbs    8

Your dad is going to get a shock if he hasn't looked at the price or quality of Gibbies lately. G.F. can have some great deals. Look at their on line products and do some research.

P-90    1
Your dad is going to get a shock if he hasn't looked at the price or quality of Gibbies lately. G.F. can have some great deals. Look at their on line products and do some research.

I was thinking the same, it's been many a long year since anyone offered me a Gibson for a couple of hundred bucks. Or a Guild, Rickenbacker, American-made Fender... etc.

On the other hand, dad may be in for a surprise (as I've been lately) at how good some of the cheaper guitars are now. The $200 electric of today is usually MUCH better than the $29 special of 1964. The better Asian-made guitars, like Agiles, Deans, and the occasional well-chosen Epiphone or Squier, can be amazing bargains.

So don't be upset if you don't wind up with a Gibson. A lot has changed in the guitar business over the last few decades.

KCMike    0

Thanks for the advice P-90. I've looked at the Dean guitars and like them. The Dean Z-X Electric Guitar isn't too bad at all.

starsailor    20

Good idea to have a look at a few mike, you'll get a guitar that you'll really enjoy and you should have a good time trying out a few, great to have access to the other equipment will make life a lot easier for you, good luck shopping around and look forward to seeing the pics.

Cheers

Chris

I own a range of cheap and expensive amps and guitars. There is a whole new economy of cheap instruments and amps from Asia that are worth buying if you're prepared to spend some moneyy with aluthier to work on em (or DIY if you know what you're doing). Some of these instruments are amazing. I just finished posting elsewhere about my range of el cheapo squiers. I also own some really expensive electrics and acoustics. It'll be a while before I buy another expensive guitar. The new cheapies are just too good, at least with some new hardware and sometimes only a good setup. There's a range of nice tube amps that are really good and inexpensive. Some are badged "legend" and others "Epiphone". I bought a 5 watt Legend which records great and will go much better once I replace its speaker. The 30 watt one would sound great with a Celestion in it (about 110 US for a CV30). I als have traynor and fender amps (valve). These new cheapies can be great, so don't let the price put you off: if it sounds good and you like it, go for it.

s1120    0
I know the last post is a bit older, however I had the same question and didn't wanna start a new thread.

I'm a complete beginner, have wanted to learn to play the guitar for a while now (my dad has played for years), and wanna get something. I found the following starter pack and thought it looked decent. I don't need to rock the house down so I thought this amp would work. Also, b/c my dad has a studio and plays he has alot better amps available I can use down the road.

• Epiphone Les Paul Special II Electric Guitar and Amp Pack Features:
  • * Basswood body
  • * Bolt-on neck mahogany neck
  • * Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays
  • * 2 open-coil humbuckers
  • * 24-3/4" scale
  • * 1-5/8" nut width
  • * Tone, volume, and pickup switch
  • * Hardware: chrome (black on wine red finish)
  • Studio 15R Amp:
  • * 8" speaker
  • * 15 watts
  • * Reverb
  • * 2 channels
  • * FX loop
  • * Headphone jack
  • Gig bag
  • * Quartz digital tuner
  • * Premium strap
  • * 20' premium cable
  • * Headphones

I thought this would be a nice start @ $250.00. The reviews look pretty good.

Thoughts?

I was looking at this same packedge. Not that bad, but it did feel pretty cheap to hold and play[well TRY to play. Im a newbee] Look at the higher up Epi's They feel,look, and sound SOOOOO much nicer then that Special II!!!!!! A little higher then your bujet, but I played [well tryed:D] a few in the 300-400 range that were AWSOME. I REALY fell HARD for a Les Paul Goldtop for 499!!!!!!!!!! I ended up getting a loan of a MIM strat, and put my money in a VOX ad30vt amp, but if I stick to it, and lern to play well, one of them LP's will follow me home!!!!!

Jimbo70    0

If you have friends that play don't overlook them as a source of gear.

I was looking at Mexican Strats and sub $200.00 amps when a friend offered to sell me a barely used American standard Strat, a Fender solid state amp and an Ibanez tube screamer and some other goodies for $500.00.

I'm pretty sure I got lucky on this one because several people have offered to buy the guitar alone for over $600.00.

Stratrat    0

It does sound like you got quite lucky on that one, Jimbo - $500 is a very good price for a used AmStd Strat....the amp, pedal and other goodies are icing on the cake. :winkthumb:

choffman41    0

I've been preaching this for decades, but most people ignore it. Don't spend a ton of money on your first guitar if you are a noob. Lots of wannabe's find out that playing guitar is much harder than it looks and they soon give up and move on. New guitars depreciate! Secondly, an inexperienced player is not capable of determining how well a particular guitar is suited to them UNTIL they acquire some skill. Once you develop a style of playing, you may find that pretty guitar with the fat neck inhibits you. You may find a thinner neck is more comfortable and playable. It takes time and experience to be able to tell the difference. I would personally buy a $200 Chinese knockoff (I have 3 Jay Tursers) and get to the point where I could tell the difference before springing for the dream axe. By that time the $200 job is probably worn out anyway.