Chaotic Kittie

Favourite RHYTHM guitarist?

Kirk Lorange    128

The problem with the question is that you don't hear the best ... they do such a good job of backing that you don't hear them ... but for me it's a toss up between Steve Cropper and John Fogerty.

Ledhead V-2    0
Tell us how to measure "best". Now if you'd like personal opinons on who our favorites are that's another matter.
Well there's such a fine line between measuring the best and personal opinion that I'd say there's not much of a distinction at all between the two. When you think about it, what is measuring the best if not mere opinion? As I see it, it's almost impossible, no matter what yardstick you use, to say with any degree of authority just who is "the best." Anyway, that's my opinion on opinions...

:huh:

I intended to do this as a poll, but apparently it didn't quite work out. I listed eight choices; three of them already nominated here: Richards, Fogerty, and Young (the others being Pete Townsend, James Hetfield, David Knopfler, Tom Petty, and Ray Davies).

btw: My choice is Keith Richards simply because he's put out the most, IMO anyway, memorable -- and hottest -- riffs ever laid down on wax.

Andy S    9

Well, if we are talking present day only.....hmmm...Dunno.

I was thinking, in this case, deceased, Terry Kath of "Chicago".

BossaMan    0

If any of you get a hold of Count Basie Orchestra records and listen to that sweet 4 to the bar background rythm with beautifull 1 note chord voicing you will fall in love with Freddy Green style of rythm playing. To me he was and still is,:yeahhh: the best rythm guitar player ever!!!

BossaMan

DemoEtc    0

Ah, Freddie Green! I agree.

Justin Hayward (Moody Blues)

Joan Jett (still rockin' hard out there)

Steve Marriott (Humble Pie)

John Fogerty (CCR)

Tom Fogerty (CCR)

Bob Weir (the Dead)

Paul Simon can strum some pretty chords for sure.

Richard(s) and Wood doing the "Ancient Form of Weaving" (from Wikipedia)

Roland Cazimero (Brothers Cazimero)

Gabby Pahinui

Maddog54    0

Not to be a bandwagon jumper, but its nice to see Malcolm Young getting his due. Amazing what he and Angus do together.

9 more days till they play in Pittsburgh and guess who got tickets? :punk:

I dont think anyone has given any mention to the great Bonnie Raitt.

I saw BR a couple of years ago and she is an awesome all round guitarist, she also is an awesome slide guitarist's. I believe she was taught slide guitar by Lowell George.

May I just mention two guitarists who are known for bringing 'rhythm' playing up front? Andy Summers' playing with the Police, and the incredible Nile Rodgers from Sesame Street...and Chic.:winkthumb::smilinguitar: :smilinguitar:

Ian

p.s. Mick green from the pirates should surely get a mention?

Well there are a few

Kieth "indestructable" Richards can always drive a groove

Jimmy Reed could keep a blues groove rollin' forever

And I don't think I've seen Bob Dylan mentioned as a strummer and rhythm creator

And the Edge in U2 is no slouch

Joe Bonamassa is an amazing rhythm guitarist. His rhythm is so amazing because he doesn't just strum a chord, he pops up tons of inversions. A lot of people will rely on their strumming pattern to give rhythm to a part with only one or two chords. Joe will pop in different inversions of chords for what type of mood is needed.

Then again, I consider him the best guitarist alive, regardless of if you're asking about rhythm or lead. The guy is a beast, no two ways about it.

His lead and rhythm playing speak for themselves. And he was taught slide by Warren Haynes, who considers him one of the best slide guitarists around.

EDIT:

Here is a video of him in studio recording his song "Ballad of John Henry." Nasty nasty nasty rhythm groove. Great slide solo(IMO). And just overall blues-rock goodness.

Then you have "Stop!" This song has aaaaaaaaamazing soloing in it.