Chaotic Kittie

Favourite RHYTHM guitarist?

As I've found rhythm guitarists very overlooked in most guitar communities, I'd like to ask who your favourite player is when it comes to rhythm guitar (from what I've seen you don't seem to be the "? Rhythm guitar? Who gives a s**t!" kinds of people :P).

A lot of people seem to think that rhythm guitar requires less skill to master.

Sure, it may seem so at times, but when it comes to really MASTERING rhythm guitar, I'd say it's equally tough, or even tougher, than lead guitar.

Anyways, my personal favourite is Malcolm Young, he's just brilliant. Also he's the riffing master of AC/DC, which a lot of people don't seem to believe, since they only see Angus. :P

I would go for e thJimi Hendrix/Curtis Mayfield approach of sliding 4ths, sus 4 chords etc. I love their approach to ballads in particular.

I agree with GuitarJim that Pete Townshend is a very good rhythm guitarist. But my all time favourite would have to be Keith Richards.

That 5 string Tele that he uses so effectively in keeping great rhythm is masterfully done.

Bit hard to say what a rhythm guitarist is these days. When I first started learning guitar Lead and rhythm seemed to be considered very defined and separate roles and I would have said without hesitation Bruce Welch of the Shadows was the best ever rhythm guitarist. (and Hank Marvin the best lead, of course) Then along came a whole slew of guys combining rhythm and lead, Hendrix, Townsend, Keef (you'd think he could afford a complete set of strings by now) and a whole slew of metal players. Jimmie Vaughan is an interesting choice and one I probably would'nt have thought of immediately but now that you mention it, yes he certainly is a great rhythm player too.

Tommy Emmanuel is also a great rhythm player. He has played some wonderful parts with his brother Phil blazing away over the top

Jimmie Vaughan is an interesting choice and one I probably would'nt have thought of immediately but now that you mention it, yes he certainly is a great rhythm player too.

I love watching JLV on stage doing his thing. He will slide right back into the pocket and let someone else in the band take the lead. His rhythm playing can just draw you into the pocket. And then he will pop up with a tasty lick just to give you some spice!

I won't take anything way from SRV by saying this but JLV is a better example of a Texas blues guitarist. When JLV plays you want to get up and dance - that is the most important thing about Texas music. In Texas if you can't dance as a couple to the music then you are not going to get many gigs in Texas bars & clubs.

I love watching JLV on stage doing his thing. He will slide right back into the pocket and let someone else in the band take the lead. His rhythm playing can just draw you into the pocket. And then he will pop up with a tasty lick just to give you some spice!

I won't take anything way from SRV by saying this but JLV is a better example of a Texas blues guitarist. When JLV plays you want to get up and dance - that is the most important thing about Texas music. In Texas if you can't dance as a couple to the music then you are not going to get many gigs in Texas bars & clubs.

Most of the footage of JLV I've seen is just that scenario, the crossroads DVD, the SRV tribute and your so right. JLV is always there in the background, intently listening and watching what everybody else is doing and always knowing just what to back them with, then all of a sudden he steps out and wham! drops a tasty little solo which is just so uniquely JLV. The guy has been one of my guitar hero's for ages.

in the same vain as Mark Knopfler... Is Lindsey Buckingham... A better than average guitarist, IMO...!!!

Cheers

Ben