Yarr

Purchasing guitar equipment via. eBay

Generally, how safe is it?

I want to buy a Gibson Les Paul Classic (or Custom), and eBay, of course, has the best deals. The thing is, I don't use ebay so I dont know how safe it is..

earlier, when I was looking at some LP's, I noticed a lot of misleading auctions/scams (all from china, go figure). but it does seem that there are people who are generally nice, and will inform you of all the dents, blemishes, etc..

oh that reminds me... what good is the serial number of a particular guitar?

btw I realize the whole 'you should play a guitar before you buy it' thing, but it seems that a lot of people use ebay to buy guitar stuff, so..

is using ebay a good idea?

i wouldnt use it myself. not safe enough cuz you dont get to even see it in person before buying, and like you said, theres alot of scams

I have bought a couple of guitars on E bay and am happy with them. You need to keep your witts about you though. Watch out for unresonable shipping charges and use paypal so your covered. Always check their ratings for staisfied and unsatisfied customers. Ask questions. Research what you are going to buy. Don't get caught up in a bidding war. That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

I haven't bought guitars on eBay but I have bought plenty of computer equipment and musical accessories (sound cards, guitar stands etc.) and I've never once had a problem. I would only order from someone with good feedback (and plenty of it) and only from my own country, but that's more to do with duty and shipping etc. Although I wouldn't order from China or Russia or India (sorry Kush no offence) or any country that is known for scamming online.

Ebay is great, they have a good buyers protection policy.

Clancy

Same here, love eBay and totally addicted, but!, before I purchase anything off anyone will thoroughly check their feedback. Haven't been done yet touch wood.

If it looks too good to be true, it is. Scams abound, especially around the holidays. I found that out when shopping for my laptop at the end of last year. In one case, somebody's ID had been hijacked- they usually sold little antique things (postcards and photos mostly) and someone got their ID and password and started listing all kinds of electronics. Then they wanted you to contact them outside of ebay to do the deal. That's definitely something you don't want. Make sure the whole deal goes through the ebay site.

Keep your eyes open and stay sharp and you shouldn't have any problems.

HI

I run an Ebay store for a music shop located in Sydney, and so I think Ebay has somethings to offer that are very good, but there are some dodgy people on there. If the guitar is being sold by a shop you have recourse for action if something goes wrong, if you pay with Paypal they offer protection of up to $1000 US (could be wrong on that figure) if there is a problem.

Check the person's history, if they are a store front see if they can be contacted somehow so that you may be assured that it is legit, and don't buy from China or India

If you are speaking of in the USA-have you considered your local "craigs list " instead--usually you can drive over and see the axe before you buy it if you go this route.

The only guitar I've bought off eBay was a First Act Bass for $54. No much chance of someone makig a cheap clone of those.:tongue_sm

I second USGold with the Craigslist suggestion. I've seen better deals on it. However, I have bought tons of odds and ends on eBay. The biggest advantage is simply getting a reasonably cheap price and it's delivered to your door. But you can get pretty much the same thing by buying from MusiciansFriend.com. I personally wouldn't pick eBay as a first choice buying a guitar.

Alright, a lot of different opinions. I never thought to use craigsilst, i'll go look at that after i'm done writing this message. But to the people that say they wouldn't use ebay, what other way (besides craigslist) can you find a used les paul in the right colour for the right price? All the local shops here overcharge.

Have you checked the price at musicianfriend? More often than not I see their price cheaper than eBay.

The shipping is usually free with them anywhere in the states That can make a difference to your final price compared to flea bay.

By the way could someone address my question about what the serial number is good for.

edit: So I just checked craigslist all the way back to feb 27, and there were like 3 les pauls, one was overpriced, one was banged up, and none were in the colours I want lol :(

The serial Number can be used to validate make model and year of making. as for finding the exact axe you are looking for--try this site-maybe it will help.

http://www.instrumentexchange.com/index.asp

Thanks for the info about the serial number

I couldnt find anything appealing on that website..... whyyyyy are allll the les pauulsss in somee form of trans amber or herritageee sun bursttttt

Note: Mods, if this post is too offtopic from my ebay questions, feel free to split the threads. Thanks.

Yeah, I think I might end up going the musiciansfriends route. I didn't realize that they ship LPs to Canada. They don't ship much here lol.

Anyway, so now I have another problem. I was under the impression that LP Classics were of a higher quality/level than standards, yet musiciansfriend places a LP standard for a little more than a LP classic. Weird.

Here are the specs for both, someone help me figure out which one I should buy lol.

Gibson Les Paul Standard Features:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-50s-Neck-Electric-Guitar?sku=517187

Mahogany body

Maple top

Rosewood fretboard

Alnico V Standard humbucker pickups

Green keystone tuners

Top and fretboard binding

273627.jpg

List: $3,178.00

Sale Price: $2,119.99

edit: from Gibson.com

BODY

Top Species: Carved AA maple

Back Species: Mahogany

Binding: Single-ply top

NECK

Species: Mahogany

Profile: '50's Rounded or '60's slim taper

Peghead Pitch: 17°

Thickness at 1st Fret: 0.818

Thickness at 12th Fret: 0.963

Neck Joint Location: 16

FINGERBOARD

Species: Rosewood

Scale Length: 243/4"

Total Length: 18.137

Number of Frets: 22

Nut Width: 111/16"

Width at 12th Fret: 2.062

Inlays: Pearl trapezoid

Fingerboard Binding: single-ply

HARDWARE

Plating Finish: Nickel

Tailpiece: Stopbar

Bridge: Tune-o-matic

Knobs: Gold Top Hat

Tuners: Green Keys

ELECTRONICS

Pickups: BurstBucker Pro pickups with Alnico V magnets

Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way switch

Gibson Les Paul Classic Electric Guitar Features:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=512001

Carved maple top

Mahogany back

Mahogany neck

Rosewood fretboard

496R ceramic humbucker in the front

500T at the bridge

Green tuning keys

Amber top-hat knobs

Plain cream pickguard

'60s slim-tapered neck

Trapezoid fretboard inlays

Copper natural finish

Nickel hardware

270595.jpg

270597.jpg

List: $3,018.00

Sale Price: $1,999.99

edit: from Gibson.com

BODY

Top Species: Carved maple

Back Species: Mahogany

Binding: Single-ply top

NECK

Species: Mahogany

Profile: 1960 Slim taper

Peghead Pitch: 17°

Thickness at 1st Fret: 0.800

Thickness at 12th Fret: 0.875

Heel Length: 0.625

Neck Joint Location: 16

FINGERBOARD

Species: Rosewood

Scale Length: 243/4"

Total Length: 18.062

Number of Frets: 22

Nut Width: 111/16"

Width at 12th Fret: 2.062

Inlays: Yellow Pearloid Trapezoid

Fingerboard Binding: Single-ply

HARDWARE

Plating Finish: Nickel; Gold available on Ebony

Tailpiece: Stopbar

Bridge: Tune-o-matic

Knobs: Amber Top Hat

Tuners: Green Key

ELECTRONICS

Neck Pickups: 496R ceramic magnet humbucker

Bridge Pickups: 500T ceramic magnet humbucker

Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way switch

------------------------

As far as I understand from the specs, the difference is in the kind of pickup? Could someone maybe please help me identify what the differences are? Which guitar am I to purchase?

In My Spring copy of "The Dream Book"---just kidding-spring edition of musiciansfriends full catalog lists 17 different types or categories to order LP's from--prices range from749$US for the LP junior-to 4899$US for the 1960 Les Paul Standard VOS--and thats before I turn to the custom shop section of the catalog. In the "Private reserve" theres a Jimmy Page signature for 5999$US--decisions decisions decisions-----gotta get yourself into a dealer and handle ,play hold these thiings to make that decision bud.

For that kind of money, you have to try before you buy so get to a guitar store and play each one. I Don't think MF has free shipping to Canada so you have to factor in the outrageous U.P.S. brokerage fees as well as customs plus exchange rate and taxes. Check flea bay and see if they have those models kicking around. There are usually lots of LPs there. It could cost you less than MF.