josh___smith

Installing strap button

Gday,

Simple question regarding strap pins in acoustic guitars... specifically, a yamaha f310.

I've been tying my strap to the headstock but it keeps getting in my way so i am going to install a strap pin on the heel.

Because this is a fairly common/cheap guitar, i though maybe some of you had done this already and could let me know the location of any bolts that i might hit. (Due to the bolt-on neck)

I've included a picture of where i plan to install the new strap pin.

I've looked around online but can't find this specific build information... I also can't find a magnet powerful enough to give me any sort of guide.

It's a pretty simple job but i can think of plenty of things i would rather do than randomly taking a drill to one of my axes...

Cheers.

Josh

1747.attach

powe6563    0

In my expierience (which really isn't much) The strap button screws are not very long and IMO wouldn't be able to reach anything inside the heel... if there is anything inside the heel.

munky    0

There isn't any bolt there to hit, the neck is glued on.

You shouldn't run into any problems installing the strap pin, just be careful and drill a pilot hole first.

I've got some strap buttons that are long enough (almost 1inch/2.5cm) to hit a bolt if it is directly underwhere i'm planning to drill.

There may be more than 1 bolt... I don't know ???

Thanks for your input though.

Josh

munky    0

I can guarantee with 99.999% certainty that there's no bolt there. The only metal you have any chance of hitting is the truss rod, and that would take some effort on your part. :)

I can guarantee with 99.999% certainty that there's no bolt there. The only metal you have any chance of hitting is the truss rod, and that would take some effort on your part. :)

the strap pins screws aren't THAT long. :tomato:

USGold    0

I sucked up my nerves and did this four times to four different accoustic guitars--it's scary at first but with some care, planning and foresight I believe you can handle this--all I needed was a cordless drill with a tiny bit to make the pilot hole and a screwdriver to tighten--use care to just make it tight-don't try to reef down on it you might strip out the screw hole in the wood.

if it's not a bolt on, you're golden. If it is a bolt on, at least a Godin type bolt on, you'd be going straight into a bolt. Per Godin's tech drawings, to put a strap button on one of their acoustic go dead center and in the middle of the heel, not over to one side like you have it. I put them on all my other brands just where you have it.

When you drill for your pilot hole make sure the opening is a tad bigger than the rest of the hole by moving the bit around or even going to a bigger bit. Even w/the hole the correct size as you first start the screw in the first thread can actually cut IN BETWEEN the finish and the wood causing the finish to pull up from the wood around the hole. If that portion of the finish has already been removed, no problem.

737blues    0

lol! Don't knock the old brace and bit. Craftsman's tool in a world of disposable electronics. Still use one in my workshop occasionally. (Alright, very occasionally) :yes:

Update..

Job successful, and i'm impressed!

After installing the strap pin on the side of the heel, I'm very happy with the way the guitar now balances... Now, my dread feels umm.... smaller (in a way).... ??? not exactly, but more comfortable. somehow.

I've played other acoustics that had the pin on the BOTTOM of the heel and the guitar wanted to "tip" forward when not being supported by the fretting hand.

This way it balances more naturally.

It might be the simple fact that i don't catch my thumb on it if i'm changing a tuning or scratching my ear (or whatever) and the lack of strap in my peripheral vision feels tidier... This may seem irrelevant but the more comfortable you are when playing, then the easier it is to relax... everyone knows they need to be relaxed to play to their potential.

And for only the cost of a beer it's one of the cheapest (DIY) mod/upgrades you could do to improve one of your toys.

Highly Recommended, btw :winkthumb:

Thanks for everyone's advice aswell.. I managed to keep the drill bit out of any bolts/the fretboard/my hand.

peace,

Josh

"Sometimes in football you have to score goals." Harry Kewell.

1899.attach

1900.attach

1901.attach

1902.attach

USGold    0

Thats the way I put all mine on--never considered the bottom of the neck block for an instant---besides when put this way the weight doesnt pull linierially against the screw threads.