Jove d'Ark

Amazing What the New Generation want

westwoodl    0

I love all kind of music from flamenco, blues, punk and do love metal i have to say. They all have their own unique sound and skills needed by the players but there are some bands i admit that are hard to understand what they are singing about but if you just listen to carefully you will understand it.

Jove d'Ark    0

I too, Have a very deep appreciation of the Artistry which can only be aquired by years of Disciplined study to not only create Phyisical Virtuosity, but importantly Musicality. Musicality can only be achievd by understanding the fundamentals of Harmonic Structure. And the Greater the Understanding, the Greater can be the boundaries to which this understanding is pushed. Anyone can take a Solo Instrument and play a series of very Fast Notes after some considerable practice, But how that person is capable of interacting with other musicians is the real testimony of thier understanding of the science of Music.

From Pepe Romero, Paco de Lucia, Manitas de Plata,to Hendrix, AC/DC- Latter day Metallica and Dire Straits and.."FastFinger"..- From Vivaldi, Bach, Beethoven, From Gregorian Chants to John Williamson,Don Williams, John Denver and Don MaClean, From Opera to Camelot, Sound of Music, Westside story and even Candles By candlelight, and a Myriad of Musicians and Styles in between, I Believe I have a Fairly balanced and Ecclectic acceptance of what constitutes GREAT Music.

I deeply appreciate this Sentiment here from, lcjones, which says..."I try to imagine what it was like when the first hand struck a stick to a log... and then a second stick. A beat was born. Awesome. I dare say the drum solo from Ina Gada da Vida is not original work.

Can You Imagine the First Of Our Race who realised what was happening within thier body and head when some primitive neighbour started pounding out what we now class as Rhythm, which then evolved into something that was once heard when a primitive neighbour happened by chance to rake thier fingernails against some object and produced a pleasantry that has over Millions of years evolved to become what we in 2006 call Music

And WHO designed the Matrix. For all that Music is music, it can be distilled into Mathematical Formulae. One only has to visit the Wikepeadia site that was posted to this forum to grasp that truism.

But WHO First thought up a Mathematical Formula, that would, once The Human Race Evovlved enought to grasp the import and produce the Instruments from materials supplied by the VERY Same being, morph into what we now consider as the most important and appropriate Bride for our Recreational processes.

I think it was Bob Marley who so Eloquently said..Without GOD, I would not have a song to sing.

The next time you are marvelling at your preferred musical genious, ask yourself this question. Are they as Humans being truly spontaneously creative or are they simply a conduit of some Superior Blueprint to the Evolution of humanity?

WernHalen    0

Thanks for the supporst for SA you've shown Jove.. :) I agree and find the things that happened here in the past very upsetting. What I find upsetting now is the fact that the tables have turned and the minority is now hunted down with very little disregard for life... :( the unfortunate fact is that the people being oppressed at the moment are mostly all part of the people that had very little to do with the policies of the oppression that happened... I am not a negative person by nature and I am actually very positive about the future of SA as a whole...

I agree on the Jazz thing... to my ears it sounds like a bunch of noise... :tomato::lol:

Interresting point of view Ben, I agree. I am known for throwing spanners into the worx very similar to the one you threw into the discussion. It slipped past me, and I have to agree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Jove d'Ark    0

TOO True WenHalen,

When the Evil lust for revenge is unleashed it is the Innocents who most suffer. Modern day IRAQ is testimony to that tragic aspect of Humans being masters at inflicting horror upon each other.

As to Jazz. Don't give up on it. Its a bit like Olives and Mushroom. They are an aquired taste which after some initial rejection become quite palatable if one just keeps nibbling away at little portions. And believe me, studying JAZZ will do much toward opening your mind to what can be acheived musically if one fully understands the structure of harmony.The understanding of secondary dominants and chord substitution can only enhance any muso's vocabulary. In fact I believe Jazz is a good benchmark as to the Maturity of a musicians mind.

WernHalen    0

Jove,

No hurt feelings here. :)

I agree on the jazz and I am not giving up, i listen to it often. I even try to lead over some jazz progressions. ;)

What I find difficult is to listen to the hardcore stuff for too long. I can appreciate the technical aspect, but to my ears it is not beautifull...

Jove d'Ark    0

Hi Lovers of Guitars,

There was someone who replied with a link to Wikipedia in relation to the TRITONE debate. I found it extremely informative but have lost the LINK. Can you Re-Post.

Cheers.

vee    0

Jove, my apologies, I did not mean to imply that you said that people did not have the right to listen....My statement was a merely a poorly written expression of an idea that I extracted from some of your postings.

I think that we can all be grandiose about things that we feel strongly about especially if it is something that has steered the course of of our lives. I stand guilty of that myself. I like ideologies, was it Aristotle who said that we should be concerned not of the way things are, but the way they might be and ought to be?

Your writings have certainly forced me to question why I like the music I like and if my prefered music is more than just ear candy.

CanuckTodd    0

Hmm... I like it best when you folks make and post your music instead of talking about it! All this creative energy and nary a tune recorded or a lyric written down for future generations!

Hmm... I like it best when you folks make and post your music instead of talking about it! All this creative energy and nary a tune recorded or a lyric written down for future generations!

We've written music, we just can't show them to anybody, cause they would BLOW THEIR MIND TO PIECES. The world isn't ready yet.

I don't know who "we" are, but I'm sure they do.

Gibb/Sink

Bennett    0
On the intrinsic value of music:

Although some very good points have been made as to what constitutes good music, I

think a point has been side stepped... Ultimately the listener, and only the listener can

decide the value of any given composition... Just because a fractal is mathematically

perfect, it does not mean it is by default a masterpiece of art...

The idea that a composers ability to arrange music for a 20 piece orchestra makes him

any more creative or talented than a guy sitting on his bed with a guitar and arranging

3 chords into a simple song that, upon being heard, will move one to tears, IMO, is closed

minded...!!!

To some, the sound of rain drops on a tin roof is exquisite music. To others, a screeching

overdriven, distorted guitar sounds beautiful. Others yet, can appreciate the beauty in

both extremes...

Great music is what moves you as an individual, and one should take care when

criticising any particular genre...

On another front... The fact that an individual possesses indepth mechanical knowledge

of an art form does not automatically ascend him to the status of artist. It simply means

that he understands how it works... I contend that, a truly creative person, need not

be a technician, and armed with just a fundamental understanding, an imaginative

and creative person, can give birth to a masterpiece worthy of study and dissection

by a theorist...

In my mind, the most troublesome aspect of artistry lies in the regurgitation rather than

creation... Most of what I hear today is not original or creative, and it is taken to the

extreme by the whole sampling movement that is so prevalent in music recently...!!!

*Steps down from soapbox, and hides behind it...* :tomato:

Cheers

Ben

Just weighing in late here, but great post Ben! I totally agree with you on this one. Well written. :thumbup1:

PS: Sorry for quoting the whole post, but it was worthy of it. :cool:

how can anyone say what is good music or not.let the person listening to it decide.and who cares if they have any staying power such as the beatles and other bands like that.as long as they enjoy it thats all that matters.if ya dont want to teach it then point them to another instructor who will.im sure people said same thing about kizz and guns and roses.times are changing so get ready.

scotty_b    16

I think lack of creativity is really across the board. When did jazz stop developing? When was the last recognizable movement in art that came along? I am by no means educated in art, but I believe it was the 60's. Jazz pretty much stopped developing then too. By the time Miles was introducing fusion into his music, that was one of the last movements in the progression of jazz. Much of what we hear today had been established by then as well. When did pop or rock music last offer up something new?

With the guitar there have been a few players who have come along and done something new since then (Satch, Vai and a few others who have developed the instrument technically) but for the most part Clapton, Hendrix and Page are still discussed constantly in the media. They haven't really done anything new for a while (especially Hendrix!) but when Eric decides to play and really let go it is still a magic thing, and not too many 'modern' guitarists can touch him.

Look at TV - Idol, Big Brother, any other reality show you care to name. Who will care in a few years? Why is it that a show like Hogan's Heroes still makes me laugh, even though I was a little kid when it was on the first time around and didn't see it then - it is not a nostalgic trip for me.

i agree i seen things on tv that years ago i loved but now im just like what did i see in that ,same with some music but the thing is i enjoyed it then and that all that matters.i guess if ya stop enjoying it you just flip the channel or the radio station.not hard just a button.why get all unwound over something you have control of.seriously is just a push of a button.the world isnt gonna end because the style of music has changed.has it gotten lazy?thats justa matter of opinion.again its just a push.wait until i get a banjo and distort it out.ill show ya noise

Matty22    0
i agree i seen things on tv that years ago i loved but now im just like what did i see in that ,same with some music but the thing is i enjoyed it then and that all that matters.i guess if ya stop enjoying it you just flip the channel or the radio station.not hard just a button.why get all unwound over something you have control of.seriously is just a push of a button.the world isnt gonna end because the style of music has changed.has it gotten lazy?thats justa matter of opinion.again its just a push.wait until i get a banjo and distort it out.ill show ya noise

ok, this i gotta hear. i can see it now, duelling banjo's, wah, stomp boxes, broken glass, blown amps. or im just getting carried away

-Matty