krissovo

My PC Setup any reconmendations?

Hi All

This is my software setup on my Laptop PC so far:

Krystal - Recording, have tried cubase LE but unreliable and had problems with audacity. Krystal is nice and easy

Guitar Rig2 - Guitar effects 1000's in fact, Lots of fun but having trouble with latency

Band in a box - I am struggling with this, I wanted this to create backing tracks but it goes off and does its own thing and sounds nothing like the track I am trying to play.

TabTrax - It plays drum tabs, not had much chance to play with this but I hope it will do what I want it to do

Guitar Pro 4 - Tabs

Can anyone reconmend and good live performance software and a drum machine and anything else that you find useful? I was going to get a Alesis SR 16 from the pawn shop for €45 but someone got there before me.

I have Laptop with 1GB RAM, 1.6 GHz Centrino processor with a 80 GB HDD (50GB free space)

I am thinking of getting a USB soundcard to see if that would help as the soundcard is only a onboard Sigmatel

Latency has nothing to do with drive space and the like, and everything to do with the sound card. Onboard soundcards are not very good. Audio cards are waht you need to get decent quality and low latency. Latency under 5 milliseconds is something to aim for

I seem to be littering the forums with mentions of this free download >> http://www.asio4all.com/ ...It is a universal Asio wrapper that works on most soundcards (with or without ASIO support), on my onboard realtek AC97 I get a 2ms response time running Guitar Rig - it wil fix your latency probs almost guaranteed.

*Edit to admin/mods* should I write a Latency /ASIO write -up to sticky, as lots of people seem to be encountering this problem?

Wow, that GuitarRig2 is on the pricey side, no?

It is expensive but luckily I got mine from doing some consultancy work for a recording studio. It was second hand and the pedal was a bit "used" but I still struggle with latency so I might have to pass it on