D-Dawn

Mine ToO! ♥

Glad to hear you got yourself sorted out with a guitar you love Dawn :leadguitar: Looks nice too.

You'll be posting soon then I imagine :guitardude:

Tracy :rolleyes:

Thanks Tracy!

LOL Yup as soon as you do!!! But seriously, I'm not set up to record yet...tried the clip in the soundhole mic and sounded awful!!! :thumbdown

I believe you've tried that excuse before Dawn........what a chancer :P

Seriously.........know what you mean........except in my case, it's the playing that sounds awful :lol:.........um........must check that mic when I get home........perhaps I've been playing fantastically all along and it's the mic ;) . Have promised I'd post something before end of this week :eek: so then you've no excuses :guitardude:

Suppose it'll be good to get some constructive criticism.........might get some pointers to help me move one cos I'm just not really trying to learn any new songs at all :brickwall: . Begin to but then just go back to "old faithful".......probably cos I'm comfortable with it and familiar with the chords, timing etc (at least I think I am........oh goodness.......what am I gonna do.........confidence is shattered?) :)

So which song is your "old faithful"? Mine seems to be Blackbird LOL :blush: that and Big Rock Candy Mountain <---one of grandmother's fav's....

Well before I found this forum (gosh.......can't believe it's almost three months ago)....which was just a day or two after I started playing........I was just learning the usual chords etc and then tried Kirk's Knockin' on Heaven's Door but could never really get it down pat. Then about six weeks ago came across Besame Mucho and have been learning it ever since. Actually, picked it up pretty easily but just keep playing it over and over trying to build up speed etc. Have tried to start Vincent and Here comes the sun but guess I get frustrated and stop again.

Wow :wow:........can't wait to hear your Blackbird and Big Rock Candy Mountain.....as you can see I haven't even really attempted anything else. I have loadsa tabs that I've downloaded from the net for songs that I really love........actually got Big Rock Candy last week but just haven't got a clue..!! :blush:

Patience & practice *big breath* patience & practice..........at least I hope that's all it is :D

I went thru a book...to learn the very basics...and a video that I found very distracting.

I got caught up playing just "parts" of a lot of different songs...not the whole thing. So I could play tons of parts of songs LOL....

Now I make myself play thru the hard parts and continue til the end before moving on to a new song. :yes:

I also have 3 or 4 binders full of tab that I want to eventually play...and a half a dozen books that I picked up a long the way...I get very frustrated when I can play a piece that seems difficult, but then can't stum my way thru a simple childrens song :reallymad: BTW hard to find free tabs for those...

I find finger picking much easier than strumming also. Go figure....:dunno: I have a list of 25 or so songs I can play well as long as I keep going back to them to refresh my mind and finger memory...

I'll post a tidbit soon....just working my way up to it! :blush: I always get nervous when I think anyone is paying attention and then I am bound to mess it up! LOL

Blackbird just seemed to be that song on my list that if and when I could actually play it...I could then say that "YES...I do play guitar."...LOL I'm over that and want to play so much more now! :yes:

"I got caught up playing just "parts" of a lot of different songs...not the whole thing. So I could play tons of parts of songs LOL...."

I can relate to this. That's exactly what I do.

The problem is that I don't want to break it :). I love learning licks from various songs. However, I do need to buckle down and get a few songs from start to finish. My problem is deciding what song it is that I want to do. I'm working on Bad Moon Rising. It's fairly simple and like House of the Rising Sun, which I also practice regularly, it is repetitious if you don't spice it up with some good licks.

The problem is that if you don't sing well, you have to have some interesting guitar playing. Which is probably why the fingerpicking stuff is good. But I still don't have the patience to work my way through the fingerpicking. I do practice fingerpicking, but it isn't focused. Mostly I fingerpick as an exercise every now and then.

Anyway I sat down with a BMR tab last night and pulled out a lick and worked on it. Took me a while to get it, but it was rewarding. Up till now BMR has been only strummed chords with a pinky twiddle. So I need to stay focused, get it done, and post a recording.

Ok--They say confession is good for the soul---Just a heads up then--you won't be hearing any posts of songs by me anytime soon---not only am I not set up for recording--but I don't know any full songs-nor do I play that fancy schmancy finger pick stuff well, thats leaves me as a "banger" which solo is about as far from interesting as you can get.

Hey USGold, why don't you give that tab in Krissovo's blues post a try? Prob wouldn't take you more than a day or two to learn it. It doesn't take much to set your computer up to record. Audacity is free and a 1/4 to 1/8 mono adapter into the mic input should do the job.

LOL I should have known! :brickwall: Thanks fly135

Oh I think I have a few of these in the garage from a set of speakers I had for my old pc...gonna go dig 'em out! And I can play my A/E and plug it right into the mic input to record?? like that?!? (new world for me...recording) I've already downloaded Audacity

D-Dawn, just make sure that you use Windows volume control panel to get the record level set correctly. Just in case you aren't already familiar, the control has a panel for playback and another for record. You select that in the menu "Options -> Properties". Make sure the microphone input is selected to appear. You'll see checkboxes with a title "show the following volume control".

When you bring up the recording controls the mic input should have a button labeled "advanced". You want to select it and check the dialog box that comes up for a checkbox that something like "+20 db boost". This is what makes the mic input sensitive enough for recording the guitar signal. Also check mic as the selected input.

When recording in Audacity, make sure that your hardest picking/strums don't max out the recorded waveform in the window. Use the recording volume panel to adjust that. Then when you are done recording your song and ready to save it, select the whole waveform and use the "normalize" function in Audacity's effects menu to set the overall volume. If the volume is already high then it will not have much of an effect. But if the volume of the recording signal is low it will bring it up to a reasonable level.

Lastly, you will need to find the LAME DLL for saving MP3 files. It's readily findable by searching Google for "lame mp3".

Wow :wow: Dawn..........I'm impressed that you can play so many songs. I really do wanna learn so much more and I know I just have to make myself do the same and keep on through the difficult parts until I get it down. I'm gonna try to start on something different this weekend and see how I go as I can't just stick with one song forever :blush:. Started off with strumming (also via a book and really awful video) but don't get it at all :crying2: ........I mean, can strum okay but any song I've tried doesn't seem to sound the way it should........maybe it's just timing or something. Perhaps I need to go back to it at some stage as I love the sound of strummed chords but just been concentrating on fingerpicking since finding this site.

Anyway, enough of my waffling.........sounds like fly has given some good advice re the recording aspect of things so hope to hear something from you soon. :yes:

Misty2u, I can tell you that I'm the worst for being able to pick up a strumming pattern. And the one thing that has helped me with my guitar playing more than anything else has been Guitar Pro software. I will loop a few measures of a song and slow down the tempo until I can get it. Then speed it back up as I become more comfortable with the pattern. You can also mute tracks and just have the drums and bass accompany you.

Guitar Pro costs $60, but I hear that PowerTab has similar features for free. I found a songbook archive on the internet that has nearly 60,000 tabs for GP. I hope that's ok to mention here because they've been pulling tabs off because of legal challenges.

When I bored with what I am already practicing I'll search around and pull up a new tab and learn the strumming or a few licks. I'm not very good at getting a tab and then trying to play it with the song yet, but I've started doing that. But I feel like I've gotten to the point of being able to because of GP. www.mysongbook.com has a link to GP. That site was the host of a bunch of GP tabs but virtually all the tabs have been pulled. PowerTab might be a good thing to look into as well.

Ok a lot of info to sort thru, but if I take "baby steps" maybe I can get there! Thanks for all the help fly!

Misty, I am right there with you on strumming patterns! The ones I do know are spelled out for me and repeated over and over and over again til they are automatic...my fingers seem to remember what my head doesn't sometimes!

Now after church on Sunday I am to sit in on a meeting with the worship team and decide if I want to start playing with them...*gasp* me?!?! In front of people?!?! :scared: :scared: :scared:

Thanks so much fly............I'll definitely look into those over the weekend. You certainly have a wealth of knowledge about these things (and recording, and loadsa other stuff.........:wow:) That's what is just so great about this site and people like you..........I've began to realise that I'm not alone so don't feel like a complete idiot when I can't do something and the support and encouragement is second to none. So thanks (and you too Dawn) for all your help. I'm definitely feeling inspired now so really gonna try to move on. :leadguitar:

Dawn.............that's fantastic being asked to join in with the worship team........I really think you should go for it......think it would be a real confidence booster and I, for one, believe in you that you can do it..........so.............you go girl ;)

LOL I'll sit in on the meeting and listen....a couple of these guys can play really well and its a bit intimidating...maybe I 'll get a private audition before hand to see if I am up to par! :blush:

Well good luck and hope you pluck up the courage to play.........you might even get a few pointers. Time to go home now.......work is so stressful these days (sometimes can't even get onto the forum for hours at a time.....hehehe). Can't even relax by playing (edit: trying to play......lol) my guitar tonite cos have a Spanish tutorial this evening. However, it is online so might get a quick visit to the forum afterwards :)

See ya later.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH

My sound card is all messed up--can't get any of my player programs to work anymore--aside from that since I'm living in the dark ages and have only dial up connection, media files are a real problem for me to deal with----considering a format C: and starting all over from ground zero--something like that is gonna be necessary before I could even attempt recording , and uploading ....well fraid that will have to wait till I "finally" get DSL.

Ack! I did that once (reformatted) lol then realized I didn't have a copy of DOS (DOH!)

Recording is all new to me...build a website? I can do that!! But figure out on my own how to record....google all the way! (Besides this is a new computer and i am sooooo afraid of messing it up like my dino in the other room!)