kcirick

Connecting Guitar to a Computer

Here's some demo stuff for you from the deep corners of my hard drive.;)

1. Basic set up, no frills at all. Johnson J-Station (poor man's POD) into AUX IN of on board Sound Blaster sound card. I plugged a $30 Sony battery powered condensor mic into the J-station and dialed up a clean amp, Blackface I think, a bit of reverb and some chorus. I played my acoustic guitar and recorded it that way. They were jackhammering the street in front of my house while I recorded that song, 40' from where I sat w/only a closed window between and you can't even hear it. Now THAT'S a sensitive mic!:laughingg: I kept the same patch to record the vox and even HELD the mic in my hand to record. read: 'It don't get more budget than this'.

http://www.ultimategarageband.com/hotlinks/Bore.mp3

2. The power of loops. There was a contest on acidplanet where a lyric was supplied and we had to come up w/a less than 4 minute song to pop it into. For this project I use the kids version of acid called 'Super Dooper Music Looper' for all the instrment loops, of which I think there were less than 9. I recorded my vox over the music using a much better MXL-VL large diaphram condensor mic and I had now upgraded to a better sound card, an M-Audio Delta 66, and a breakout box/interface the M-Audio Omni studio. The M-Audio gear cost me about $400 I think and the mic was about $100. The kids program was like $35 maybe?

http://www.ultimategarageband.com/hotlinks/Blind.mp3

3. Be your own band! Ok, so I, being a musician, can make my OWN loops of guitar and bass and I still use acid loops for drums cause a: I have no drums and b: I'm a really sucky drummer. But, even w/this software I could BE a great drummer if I wanted to go that route. So this song has me playing at least 3 if not 4 guitars, bass, and vocals with a drum track I built w/acid loops. I'm using my M-Audio gear and all the electric guitars and bass are done through the J-station that then is patched into the Omni Studio. I record, make a loop of a specific instrument part, edit the loop for sonic qualities in Sound Forge, then mix the whole song in acidPro. When it's mixed and rendered to a wav file I then final master it in Sound Forge. I recorded the acoustic guitar and vox w/the MXL mic.

http://www.ultimategarageband.com/hotlinks/blink.mp3

Ah, yes, Cubase I know of, but that's about as expensive as a pencil with built-in toilet. -.- Audacity sounds interesting, I'll check that out, thanks alot for the help! :)

Go get Audacity...cheap (freeware), and works good to get you started:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I don't think the Pod 2.0 has a USB connection...so, aside from spending extra $$'s to get a breakout box of some kind...try what others have suggested...take the headphone out of the Pod, into the mic in of the computer's sound card...then try with audacity to see if you can find the 'signal'. I'm assuming you are running windows?

You'll likely need to get an adapter plug...from the headphone jack to the mini-plug for the soundcard connection.

So go guitar -> Pod -> soundcard on computer.

Give it a try and holler back with your results...

cayenne :D

Well... Can I use my Line6 Pod 2.0 to connect the guitar into the computer? if so, how am I to do this? o.O

Would anyone be interested in a short photo journal of my home recording setup which includes the following ......

Line6 Pod2

Behringer Console

Mic's

Cable connections....

How to plug it together... where to get the stuff .. etc..etc.

If so, I'll set things up .....

Les

Would anyone be interested in a short photo journal of my home recording setup which includes the following ......

Line6 Pod2

Behringer Console

Mic's

Cable connections....

How to plug it together... where to get the stuff .. etc..etc.

If so, I'll set things up .....

Les

Yes!! :claping: Very much so!! Please put this together if you get a chance...

I've got the Pod XT, but, I'm sure I could adapt what you do for the Pod2 to my version....

cayenne :winkthumb:

Ok, so now it works, I can record... BUT.

When I try to record, it automatically records anything being played on the computer... so if I first record a rhythm, and then want to record a lead passage, the RHYTHM BACKGROUND is ALSO being recorded to the new track. What shall I do to prevent this? It's mighty disturbing.

Ok, so now it works, I can record... BUT.

When I try to record, it automatically records anything being played on the computer... so if I first record a rhythm, and then want to record a lead passage, the RHYTHM BACKGROUND is ALSO being recorded to the new track. What shall I do to prevent this? It's mighty disturbing.

Yep. Classic first time problem......

In Audacity, click EDIT and then Preferences. At the Audio I/O tab, be sure "Play other tracks while recording is checked".

See if that doesn't clear it up. Also, and just a suggestion, uninstall the 1.24 version and download the 1.30 Beta from Audacity and install it. It's much nicer, though it looks pretty much the same. But there are a lot more features in it.

I've been using the beta for months and haven't had any real problems with it.

Let me know .....

By the way, if you get a second patch cable so you can use the Right channel on the POD, you'll need a Dual 1/4 MONO to Single 1/8 Stereo adapter....which I highly recommend. Here's a pic of the adapter. Most electronic or audio stores should have these in stock.

Les

PS. I should have the Frogs Studio pages done this weekend.....

LC,

Mark me down for interest in a copy of that! I'm finally getting some stuff done around here and hope to have some time to start recording.

Thanks!

Yep. Classic first time problem......

In Audacity, click EDIT and then Preferences. At the Audio I/O tab, be sure "Play other tracks while recording is checked".

That did it, thanks a lot :)

By the way, if you get a second patch cable so you can use the Right channel on the POD, you'll need a Dual 1/4 MONO to Single 1/8 Stereo adapter....which I highly recommend.

hm, what do you mean? that I plug 2 cables into both left and right output and then plug both cables into the adapter? Or am I completely lost? :dunno:

Generally you want Audacity to play while recording, so that you can play along with your other tracks. However, you don't want to record what it's playing. Normally the sound card will not record what it plays. But there are sound card that have an option in the mixer that says.... "Record what your hear" or something like that. You don't want that selection. You want to specify what input you want to record from.

The record what you hear option is for recording streaming audio that you wouldn't normally be able to record without a loopback cable and splitter from the speaker jack.

Now I encountered a new problem... at first it worked fine recording... after a reboot of the comp, it suddenly only wants to record through my webcam mic, which makes it sound really awfull... how to change this so it uses the aux in only?

Open Audacity ......

Select EDIT from the tool bar

Select PREFERENCES from the drop down list

Click the AUDIO I/O Tab

In both the PLAY & RECORDING sections, select your Audigy Sound Card

and, of course, click OK ;)

Les

I connected my guitar to the amp, then used a lead from the output into a 3.5mm stereo adapter with a 6.5mm stereo socket into my in-line socket on my soundcard but my software doesn't pick the guitar soundwaves up.

I'm using ACID Music Studio 7 and when I record with my guitar connected. You cannot hear it when you playback......I need help!

What do I do?

Hi and welcome to the forum Black Python, first let me suggest that in the future, you start a new thread with any questions, much easier for folks to find and help {rather than being mixed in with someone elses}.

On to your question...have you viewed the tutorials included with AMS7? They are located by clicking on the "show me how" button at the top of it's screen. Then start with "How to record audio" by clicking on it's link, read/review that and then you'll want to check your device settings. Click on 'options' then 'preferences' then 'audio devices', make sure that your device is shown or use the drop down to select it. This is where most problems originate. Another suggestion would be to have a look at Tekkers lessons, He's our resident guru of sorts and has a boatload of helpful threads and tutorials, here's a link for them...

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/

Again welcome, hope this helps and feel free to ask away, lots of friendly knowledgable folks here to offer guidance.

I use a Line 6 Podxt which connects direct via audio cables (1/4") into an external soundcard (for low latency). The soundcard is connected to my laptop via USB.

Hope that helps.

dude how to give a sound? to my guitar. do i have to do something in my PC after i connect my guitar to the computer with 1/4 to 3.5 jack?

you might make a little preamp that you run through to the computer.

mine looks like this. It cuts out a lot of hiss.

post-30719-0-69363700-1391429546.jpg