kcirick

Connecting Guitar to a Computer

Hi, I have an elec guitar that I want to connect to the computer. I use an adaptor that takes from 1/4" to 1/8" to put it into my microphone jack, but it looses a lot of power in the process.

What are the alternatives to doing this?

Is there a soundcard that supports 1/4" guitar jack? Any suggestions?

Check the recording panel of the volume control mixer applet. There should be a button called "advanced" that will allow you to select "mic boost". If it's not checked, then you will see significant improvement after turning boost on. It will boost the input sensitivity by 20dbv.

Pre amp

I got that suggestion before, but I don't know what that is.. can I get it from any music stores? How much are they usually?

Use your AUX IN jack, not the mic jack. It'll be a cleaner signal.

A preamp can be any number of things. A used Johnson J-station is an awesome guitar/pc interface. A noted preamp from Tech 21 is the PSA1 Sansamp. Rocktron, Marshall, Carvin, tons of people make a preamp which is basically a guitar amplifier w/o any power or speaker. It takes the signal and allows you to shape it with overdrive, tone, and sometimes fx, however w/o any power or speaker you can only hear it through headphones or hook it up to your pc or a power amp and speaker.

If you have a pedal for your guitar you could use that. Plug your guitar into the pedal and then the pedal into the AUX IN jack. If you use a multi fX pedal like a Digitech or a BOSS ME50 then you get the amp models, fx, etc. That's what a J-station is but in a desk top format. I bet a used J can be found on ebay for $50 or so. That would be better money spent than any pedal you could get for $50 if you're wanting to record on your pc.

This will do the trick for $35 + shipping....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/BehringerEurorackUB5025ChannelCompactMixer?sku=631239

I agree the line-in (or aux-in) is better, and a mixer will provide a way to mix your backing track or mic. Although you should get the $50 UB802 to add another low level input for a mic. A mixer acts as a preamp.

I was able to get a clean record straight from the guitar to mic-in, but sound card quality does vary. I had to pretty much turn the guitar all the way up and lower the mic record level to keep the noise down.

Um, before spending any more money, do you have an amp for your guitar? If so, does it have a line-out jack or a headphone jack? If so, just run a cable from one of those to your computer soundcard's line-in jack. Very simple and effective.

but wont connecting the Electric directly into the Mic-In of the Sound-Card, harm it (the soundcard) ?

Probably not - the electrical signal from an unamped electric guitar is very low. Only if you amp it first and run the amp's line-out to the mic-in will it hurt, and even then it may not do anything ... but why take the chance?

Generally speaking, unless you've got a high-end soundcard designed for audio recording, the mic input is designed for those cheap PC microphones and nothing else. Use the "line in" or "aux in" as others recommended above.

Also, NEVER EVER plug an amp's "speaker out" into the line-in or mic-in on your computer! Speaker-out should only go to a speaker. :yes:

Hi Mitch !!!:)

Thanks for the info, Pal !!! I just had another doubt, I have a Zoom Guitar Effects-Processor (its not a great one), If I disable all the effects in it, can I use this as a Pre-Amp for my Dynamic-Mic, to plug it into the Line-In of the Soundcard ?

Kindest Regards

Kush

Thanks for the info, Pal !!! I just had another doubt, I have a Zoom Guitar Effects-Processor (its not a great one), If I disable all the effects in it, can I use this as a Pre-Amp for my Dynamic-Mic, to plug it into the Line-In of the Soundcard ?

Kindest Regards

Kush

Yes, it should work just fine. Might sound terrible, but you'll get signal to the computer. :D

Kindest Regards

Kush

That would probably work fine, and nothing that would cause damage even if it didn't sound great. It might sound better than direct into the soundcard.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but there is a USB device now that connects the guitar to computer via USB.

I've done it before, running my guitar, into my Line6 PodXT, and from the pod, to the mac via usb. There's lots of software on the Mac/MS side to capture the signal....I used Audacity on my mac.

All my PC's are running Linux...and I'm currently trying to find good ways to get the guitar signal in on that...I believe I've found some drivers for using the Pod with Linux over usb...just gotta find time to experiment with it.

But, by using a Pod or some type of breakout box, I think M-Audio makes a bunch of firewire ones)...you can generally connect to your computer via firewire or USB. I think firewire had much less latency....

HTH,

cayenne

What sort of sound card do you have on your PC?

You can just take a lead from the POD to the PC if you wish. if it is just a standard sound card it will have mini jack input, so you will need an adapter to go from the guitar lead coming out of the POD.

Ah ok

Yes you will

I use a programme called Cubase SX, but a lot of the guys on here use something called Audacity. It is a freeware programme. Have a look around the site and you will find some info on it.

I'd plug it into the AUX IN instead of the MIC input. AUX IN is stereo so you can take full advantage of the stereo fx your POD has plus it's a cleaner signal because it's a line level input whereas the mic input is managed by a preamp that you click on and off. It's a noisy pre-amp.

Depending on what you want to record and how, I'm a 'one man band' type for recording and I used acidPro and Soundforge. I started out w/the free version of acid you can download from www.acidplanet.com . Download that and install it then start cruising the web for free acid loops for drums and bass and you've got a band all in your pc. For free.