nagukush

Life Outside Earth ????

Does life exist anywhere in the Universe apart from on Earth?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Does life exist anywhere in the Universe apart from on Earth?

• Yes, it sure does !!!
    • Not a Chance !!!

tcliff    0
They're out there right now talking about whether or not we exist....

Dan

...wonder if they have Earthling sightings in their night skies? :D

shikitho    0
Organisms as we know needs oxygen and temperatures adequate for living. Therefore, we have two main issues to think about:

1. Distance from our heat source (think about how far our Earth is from the Sun. Mercury, which is closer to the Sun has surface temperature of about 300 celsius during the day and -100 celsius at night)

2. How Earth aquired the atmosphere, which encapuslates (sp) gases needed for living organisms to breath in and out. By studying this mechanism, we can determine the possibility of this event happening. None of the stars we have observed thus far has this property.

That is true. BUT, also consider that life does not revolve around oxygen. There are certain species of fungi that have been found to be able to survive without oxygen and sunlight. Also consider that just because the tempeture is just right for us does not mean that other organisms in outer space can't survive in a different range of tempeture. Maybe on our planet they would be freezing cold for them, just wanted to point out a few things. =)

tpolitz    0
There is no extraterrestrial life... The earth is flat... The sun revolves around us...

The moon landing was just some Hollywood trickery... Elvis is still alive and living in Atlantis...

I know this to be true, because my personal 1-800 psychic told me so...

No point in even debating these issues...!!! :wacko::stuart::winkiss:

Oh contraire my frair! I have but 4 words that prove you wrong!

Nah Noo Nah Noo :laughingg:

MoonShine    0
I'm a physicist (well, undergrad, but nonetheless one!), and I do believe it exists!

Everything is about probability. I'm not saying it definately does exist, but giving that the Universe is infinitely large, so MOST LIKELY there are somewhere out there that has exactly the same condition that the Earth does.

Doesn't mean the organisms there would evolve the same way as humans. They might look totally different. Maybe they would have 8 arms and 4 legs, who knows.

I'm with you KC, far from a physicist here but believe that life out there definately does exist simply because 'space' as we know it is so vast that its really quite strange for some to suggest it doesn't.

Is this line of thought possibly influenced by fear of the unknown?

Just because we haven't been paid a visit yet (or have we?), doesn't mean a thing, because we only assume other lifeforms are as obsessed as we are with space travel?

Meanwhile, beam me up Scotty!:)

Well, people who say that if there was life outside earth, they would have made themselves known.... what kind of statement is that? Have we ourselves made ourselves known outside our solar system? No, we haven't.

I don't know why so many people automatically believe that if there are other lifeforms out there they MUST be so very superior to us in technology... why should they be?

Also, even if they are, it isn't very likely that they would notice this small little planet.

Myself I believe that there is more advanced life out there than just cells and stuff, though I don't believe that humanity will live to see them.

Bodies    0

I think there is. For the simple reason that I find it impossible to believe that we're the only living things in the entire Universe.

Bennett    0
Myself I believe that there is more advanced life out there than just cells and stuff, though I don't believe that humanity will live to see them.

Totally agree. Also, if there are/were others out there like us, and had advanced before us, I believe they would have killed themselves off too. :)

allthumbs    8

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/06/02/red.rain/index.html

Have you ever noticed how news stories like this just fizzle out and never get followed up. You would think that finding possible alien microbes would be front page news even if disproved at a later date. It's a puzzlement.

It is like when they found ice in a crater at the moons pole. A quick story and no follow up. I don't get it. :dunno:

tpolitz    0

Let's look at the big picture, do you honestly believe that we are the only planet in the entire universe that has life? That is the question we should be asking ourselves.

justinthyme    3

There are probably beings on a distant planet having this very same conversation as we speak! lol - I think, given the vastness and complexity of the universe there would have to be some kind of life out there - at least primitive.

chammon    0

Is there life elsewhere in the cosmos? Yes or no? I sometimes feel very strongly both ways. I suppose that a diety would be the only entity to know for sure, and the only entity that claimed diety that I know of didn't have that much to say about it. When asked, He pointed out that his listeners were having trouble understanding Him on earthly matters so why bother explaining unearthly matters.

But He did point out that He was like a nobleman who planted a vineyard and then went into "a far country" to, "recieve for Himself a kingdom"; and to return much later. Presumably for a harvest here.

Anyhoo, I guess we will all find out one way or the other soon enough.:yes:

Stratrat    0

I voted yes, but my true answer is that I don't have the foggiest idea! The universe is an incomprehensibly huge place and our little planet, big as it seems to us, doesn't even figure in as a dust speck in the big picture. I'd have to say that the odds favor the existence of some form of life somewhere else.....maybe so far away that we'll never even discover it.