nagukush

Life Outside Earth ????

Does life exist anywhere in the Universe apart from on Earth?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Does life exist anywhere in the Universe apart from on Earth?

• Yes, it sure does !!!
    • Not a Chance !!!

nagukush    0

Hi All

Just a poll to know what the majority of us feel about the existence of life on other planets.

Kindly Vote and tell us your thoughts.:)

Kindest Regards

Kush

coldethyl    0

Hi Kush.

It's an interesting notion, and one that people have been wondering about for a long time. My own personal opinion though, is that if there was life out there on other planets, I reckon they would have made themselves known by now.

I also think that the recent explorations of Mars were done with the hope that it would yield some kind of evidence of life, but so far it's not really anything to write home about.

Having said that, I do try to look at things with an open mind. So who knows what the future will bring?

Take care mate!

allthumbs    8

The latest scientific thinking is that there is probably lots of primitive life like single cell creatures like molds and slimes but, that more complex creatures would likely be very very rare.

nocat    0

There is no extraterrestrial life... The earth is flat... The sun revolves around us...

The moon landing was just some Hollywood trickery... Elvis is still alive and living in Atlantis...

I know this to be true, because my personal 1-800 psychic told me so...

No point in even debating these issues...!!! :wacko::stuart::winkiss:

737blues    0

I just cannot imagine space stopping somewhere, makes my head spin and the theory of space curving back on itself is totally beyond my comprehension. So, I reckon we're just waiting for that guy to invent warp engines so we can get far enough into space to get the Vulcan's interested in will speaking to us and we're off. Hope they dig the blues and sell Fender's in that galaxy far, far away.

Brian Hill    0
I just cannot imagine space stopping somewhere, makes my head spin and the theory of space curving back on itself is totally beyond my comprehension. So, I reckon we're just waiting for that guy to invent warp engines so we can get far enough into space to get the Vulcan's interested in will speaking to us and we're off. Hope they dig the blues and sell Fender's in that galaxy far, far away.

I heard that when space starts curving back the blues becomes the black n blues and fenders become benders :unsure: I also got a buddie that I'm prety sure he's from outer space :)

BH

Rockerbob    47

Well, if you use accepted theories of the infinite nature of the universe, but you also accept there is a finite number of intelligent species, then math has the answer. Any finite number compared to infinity is equal to zero. So any seemingly intelligent creatures you meet are surely a figment of a deranged imagination.

I voted yes anyway!

Bennett    0

Good topic. :)

I had to vote "Yes". Reason: well there is an estimated 100 BILLION galaxies in the universe. In each of these there could be anywhere between 1-400 billion stars. And that is just stars and galaxies - doesn't take into account dust, nebulae, dark matter, black holes etc. These are also conservative estimates.

And put some distances into the mix, the closest star to earth (other than our sun) is Proxima Centauri, which is about 4.2 light years away. In terms of AU (Astronomical Unit), where 1 AU is the distance from earth to our sun, this same star is about 260,000 AU away. To put this into a bit of perspective, Pluto is 40 AU away. :)

Anyhoo, I guess all I'm trying to say is statistically I find it very hard to believe there isn't life anywhere else. The chances of another system somewhere having just the right conditions for life are far too high.

And we've not even come close to searching our own solar system yet, so it makes it hard to draw conclusions about the rest of the universe. In a way it's a bit like searching a square metre of sand on the beach and not finding any 'treasure' then claiming that no treasure exists on any beach anywhere in the world. :D

And as for them not yet discovering us just have a look at the distances involved above. ;)

Yes, it's a Monday arvo at work .... :P

misfit    0

I think there is life outside of our planetary system. It may not be as advanced as us or maybe so but to think that there is no life outside of us is against the odds of the exdstence of life.

Misty2u    0

Interesting topic Kush :yes:

"Are we alone?" is perhaps the most common question ever pondered. The processes that created our sun and solar system and that allowed life to develop and thrive on Earth are the same processes that have created every other star and planet in the galaxy. Considering that, it's hard to believe that in all the galaxies out there, our planet is the only one with life.

Tracy

nagukush    0
Interesting topic Kush :yes:

"Are we alone?" is perhaps the most common question ever pondered. The processes that created our sun and solar system and that allowed life to develop and thrive on Earth are the same processes that have created every other star and planet in the galaxy. Considering that, it's hard to believe that in all the galaxies out there, our planet is the only one with life.

Tracy

Yes Tracy - I think I agree with that :unsure: with such innumerous possiblilities, May be we are'nt alone :unsure: , and may be we will know it someday (or soon) !!!

Anyways thanks for expressing your views :)

Kindest Regards and Lots of Care

Kush

USGold    0

A better definition for "LIFE" if you mean some sort of algae on mars or titan or something--then I think yes, ET's with advanced minds? pretty sure not true. Scott

kcirick    0

I'm a physicist (well, undergrad, but nonetheless one!), and I do believe it exists!

Everything is about probability. I'm not saying it definately does exist, but giving that the Universe is infinitely large, so MOST LIKELY there are somewhere out there that has exactly the same condition that the Earth does.

Doesn't mean the organisms there would evolve the same way as humans. They might look totally different. Maybe they would have 8 arms and 4 legs, who knows.

8LU3    0

well, think about how amazingly big this universe is, then think about the amazingly low probability there is of us being completely alone in it. even if it is just single celled organisms or plants, that is still life. there is the question of "smart" beings, ones that are like us and create buildings and such, that debate is more the rage now...

Cedric01    0
well, think about how amazingly big this universe is, then think about the amazingly low probability there is of us being completely alone in it. even if it is just single celled organisms or plants, that is still life. there is the question of "smart" beings, ones that are like us and create buildings and such, that debate is more the rage now...

Smart beings....... that's debatable.

8LU3    0

haha, yeah thats what im saying, now its less of a question of is it out there and more of a question of what is out there...

kcirick    0

Organisms as we know needs oxygen and temperatures adequate for living. Therefore, we have two main issues to think about:

1. Distance from our heat source (think about how far our Earth is from the Sun. Mercury, which is closer to the Sun has surface temperature of about 300 celsius during the day and -100 celsius at night)

2. How Earth aquired the atmosphere, which encapuslates (sp) gases needed for living organisms to breath in and out. By studying this mechanism, we can determine the possibility of this event happening. None of the stars we have observed thus far has this property.

bluesguy    0

Considering the vastness of space, number of possible places where life could start, I would have say with assurance there is life somewhere else in the universe. Will we (human race) ever meet life from another solar system - highly unlikely due to the distances required to travel from one place to another, even at the speed of light.

si16    10

This is a link to a long exposure photograph known as the Hubble ultra deep field. The patch of sky covered in this picture is only about a tenth of the size of the diameter of the full moon yet it still includes an estimated 10,000 galaxies. Almost every point of light in the picture is a galaxy, some of which are amongst the very first ever formed in the universe.

If we assume that each of these galaxies has 1 billion stars, and that only 1% of these stars has a planetary system (conservative estimate), and that only 1% of these planetary systems supports life, that still gives us 100,000,000 life sustaining planets.

If we randomly assume that the chances of intelligent life evolving are 1 in a million, then 100 of these planets will be home to intelligent life.

If you take into consideration that this patch of sky is more than 2 million times smaller than its total area, and assume that the universe is uniform in all directions, then we are left with over 200,000,000 planets inhabited by intelligent life. So, based on these very rough calculations the chances of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe would seem statistically very high.

Are we ever likely to come into contact with them? Unlikely, IMO. As Bluesguy said the distances between stars are so vast. If we sent out a signal at the speed of light to attract the attention of any extra terrestrials it would take almost 4 years to reach the nearest star and about 2 million years to reach our nearest major galaxy.

One thing I wonder about is what would an alien race's musical system be like? Would they have keys, related chords, or would their music be non-diatonic. What would their major scale be like? How many hertz would there be between their semitones? How many notes would they have? What do they tune their guitars to? ;) If it sounds anything like the cantina music from Star Wars, then count me in.

Well, that's half an hour of my life I'll never get back, unless someone invents time-travel, but that's a whole other thread....

kcirick    0

I don't think we will ever come in contact with any of them. Like you said, it would take huge amount of time for them to get here, assuming they have the technology to travel at speed of light in vacuum.

As for their musical ability, I'm not sure if they even will use sound as music. I mean we use sounds because we have air, but in outerspace, they might not have air and therefore sound will not propagate. Imagine aliens were evolved to "hear" with lights instead! like, they have a diffraction grating that will analyse the incoming light to make it a music inside their heads or something. Whoa, that'll be insanely cool!.

Dan Carey    0
Hi All

Just a poll to know what the majority of us feel about the existence of life on other planets.

Kindly Vote and tell us your thoughts.:)

Kindest Regards

Kush

They're out there right now talking about whether or not we exist....

Dan