nagukush

A Change in String Gauge !!! - Please help !!!

nagukush    0

Hi All

I'm really sorry if this doubt of mine is too kiddish or very basic, but its really-really bothering me:(

3 days back when I took my Guitars for a String-Change, I accidently bought and put the Light-Gauge Strings, whereas before this I was using the Extra light ones. Now for the past 3 days I feel very-very uncomfortable to play, and I feel as if I've lost, all that I've learnt so far ! All my control over the Guitar is gone :(

Is this normal ? Will my hand get used to this change, or should I think of changing them back to what I was using ? (I'm asking this because changing them again when they've been used just for 3 days will be a great loss and very costly to me)

Please-Please giveme you advice :helpsmili

Kindest Regards

Kush

nowhere-man    0

Hi Kush, I haven't got much experience as you know, but I think you will probably get used to the different feel before very long.

I think I remember reading an earlier post that said you should re setup your guitar when you change your string gauge as it affects the tension on the neck, so let's wait and see what our experienced friends have to say.

Geoff :)

Cedric01    0

LOL! No need to worry Kush! It will not take very long for your fingers to get use to the new gauged strings. I switch quite often between light and extra light gauged strings and I can hardly feel the difference. Just a reminder, this slight change in gauges will not effect the neck on your guitar.

737blues    0

Don't worry Kush. As Cedric said, it just takes a while to get used to heavier guage strings. You'll get better tone from them, so it's worth the effort. Also, remember that guitars originally had much heavier strings than those currently available and the basic design of guitars hasn't changed much in that sense, so you won't break anything. The increased tension can change the guitars action a bit but it's unlikely that going from extra-light back to light will have any significant affect. Your guitar would probably have beeen set up for normal or light guage strings anyway.

nagukush    0

Hi Friends :)

Thankyou so much for caring and for the confidence you all give me !!!:)

I'm really feeling relieved now :yes: , Sorry if I irritate you guys with some silly questions of mine:oops:. I know the change from extra-light to light is'nt a big one, but I guess I panic too soon :unsure: So sorry for the same :oops:

But I guess as long as I have such caring and kind friends like you all, I can face any obstacle that comes my way:yes:

I thankyou all again :)

Kindest Regards

Kush

USGold    0

Kush, don't worrry over useless things like whether a question is silly--as my friends like to say--"The only stupid question is the question you don't ask", speaking for myself I enjoy our interactions, keep on posting buddy.Scott

nagukush    0
Kush, don't worrry over useless things like whether a question is silly--as my friends like to say--"The only stupid question is the question you don't ask", speaking for myself I enjoy our interactions, keep on posting buddy.Scott

Hi Scott

Thankyou so much for your Kind and Caring words, Pal !!! :) :) :)

Thanks and Lots of Regards

Kush

I went from lights to mediums and thought I was gonna die. I now use a set labeled 'Bluegrass' which has light top strings and medium bottom strings. I tune to Eb when I gig and to get the action I like, light strings buzzed too much so I had to go up a guage. By using the Bluegrass set I'm really only going up about 1/2 a guage.