I was born and raised in a town called Deep River in north eastern Ontario.  The town was created during the last part of the second world war to house the workers of the nuclear research centre at Chalk River, Ontario. In fact, they used German prisoners of war to do the clearing.  There still is a POW building that is used as the boy scouts headquarters (at least last time I was there.)   My Mom and Dad met there in the late forties after the war.  The average age of the town was something 27 or so.  It had the biggest baby boom of any town in North America.  (Latex hadn't been invented yet ;-) ).  Deep River is on the Ottawa river and it is about a mile and a half wide there.  It's pretty well bush/wilderness everywhere up there.  At the end of the last ice age the great lakes flowed into the St Lawrence through the Ottawa and so there are miles of sandy beach shorelines.  On the other side of the river are the laurention mountains.  Great place to grow up.

• Like 1

Deep River where the AECL Engineer's settled because it was up river from the plant.  (think heavy water etc)

Hey Doug can you confirm this?

I was told the high school kids would party across the river on a sandy beach and stay the night.

No neighbours over there, no roads, no law either = unpatrolled.   (even rumours of running around naked)

I know the below to be true.

The Police Service that looks after the area are stationed in Campbell's Bay Quebec and that's an hour and 

20 minutes away by road to Deep River (by leaving the Province of Quebec and driving in the Province of Ontario for about 50kms)

It would have to be some sort of major crime before they would make that drive and then boat back into Quebec.

Ha ha.  The site for the Atomic Energy plant was chosen because the river can supply lots of clean cold water.  Not sure about Deep River being upstream because of possible radiation leaks.  Hadn't heard that.  There was a leak there in 1958.  My dad helped in the clean up efforts.  I was born the year before so I can't blame radiation for how I turned out.

The river forms the border between Quebec and Ontario.  The party town was Les Rapides des Joachim (pronounced Swisha) 12 miles up river from Deep River and on the Quebec side.  It was a town of about 200 but had three bars.  I think twelve year olds could buy a beer at those bars.  They'd know at least half an hour before the Quebec police could complete their journey to the Swisha.

it is a gorgeous stretch of river from Les Rapides des Joachim to the town of Petawawa - about 25 miles or so.  Completely pristine on the Quebec side and lots of sandy beaches.  Great fishing, canoing, camping.  And probably some nude partying as well but you didn't hear that from me.

Oh.  By the way, the song is an old Doc Watson song and has nothing to do with my home town except for the name.  Kirk has a lesson for this song in G.  My version is in E.

Okay you can get away with not admitting to the naked partying due to the era of pre smart phones with cameras and video lol.

My father worked in AECL for a short time and mentioned former US president Jimmy Carter was there shortly after the accident. (for the clean up)

I don't recall ever being to Swisha but I heard if you could see over the top of the bar you could order a drink. 

To tell the truth, I'm a bit stunk out for not having been invited to those nude parties. I guess I wasn't in the in crowd.

I don't think they were themed Naked, probably just once in a blue moon some inebriated exhibitionist lost control with the feeling of freedom.

Nice playing by the way.