USGold

Favorite band that seems forgotten?

The band that many people have forgotten are Marillion they are still going strong and sounding great,when Fish left I think a lot OF People thought that was the band r.i.p without giving the replacement vocalist Steve Hogarth a chance.Steve Hogath has featured on 9 studio albums,check out Brave and Marples had they been recorded by Pink Floyd or Led Zep they would have been hailed as rock classics,would be great to hear from other Marillion fans or opinions on Marillion.

Malcalena of the Mountains

malcolm, since you mentioned Marillion... have you checked out Youtube for Genesis? The have several great videos of their 1973 concert(s).

Thanks for your reply I go into the you tube site often,love watching vintage Genesis I really like the Gabiriel clip of the musical box when he is wearing the old mans mask.I dont think it would be possible to like prog rock and not like classic Genesis, 2 questions that would be good for disccussion would be

1-what is prog rock?

2-Why were most classic rock albums in the 70s(Floyd,Genesis,zep)

Good questions, but I'm sure everyone has a different opinion. Progressive was a good label in the sense that rock was branching out into into new territory. Orchestral arrangements, rock operas, jazz/fusion. Extended arrangements that didn't fit standard radio format. Genesis, Lamb Lies Down... I consider to be my #1 favorite album was IMO a rock opera.

Oh yeah, bands that were forgotten.... Anyone remember that Yes clone, Starcastle?

Hall of the Mountain Grill. A favorite! Mystery Science Theater 3K mentioned them once and I about fell out of my chair. Nobody else got it, and they just looked at me funny. They actually inspired me to write a song (just the lyrics) when I was a teenager. The only song I ever wrote, since I had no musical talent and couldn't turn it into a song anyway. Still got it on a piece of crumpled paper in a drawer.

Good one USGold!

Guest BuddyManx

Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band

Le Club Foote

- 2 vanished Australian bands

Rare Earth - a white motown band, had one really good album (Ma) in the seventies and then just kinda dissapeared again.

Great topic USGold, Looking back through this list is a bit eerie, I had most of these on vinyl in the 70s (Gave the collection away to a friend when I moved to OZ in 79 :( ).

The first one you mentioned, Climax Blues Band, I had totally forgotten about, used to be one of my most played bits of vinyl back when.

Others from that forgotten treasure trove were

Amazing Rythm Aces, Atlanta Rythm Section, Steve Hillage, Styx, and one disc that would probably be worth a small fortune now if I still had it called "Blues Anytime" featuring Clapton, Beck and Page :brickwall: :brickwall:

Grounhogs, James Gang, Montrose, Little Feet, Peter Green, Ten years after, Humble Pie, Ossibissa, Sly and the family stone, Stop me someone! Cool thread my friend.:sweatdrop

The Grass Roots, one of my favorites from way back when. Actually Rob Grill, the lead singer still has the band and does some touring still but even the oldies stations don't play the stuff much anymore. Denny Zager who did "In the year 2525" is selling really expensive setups on cheap guitars over the Internet now and lot of my favorite rock stars from my youth are dying from old age now, how depressing is that?

Grand Funk Railroad was some great stuff in the day, still love BB King and he's still gigging at 80 years old. I'll always have foggy memories of the happy days as a Deadhead, well, not always but during the rare moments of lucidity. Alice Cooper and that thing about the Dentist saying the teeth are OK but the gums gotta go, for it's time that stuff rocked.

Less obscure and still working is Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. There's a rocker who will never die because he's just too busy! Roger McGuinn of the Byrds is still super active in music and his Folkden Project 4CD set is a real bargain at CDBaby. Roger has done a lot to preserve the tradition of folk music in the world with his site (google Folkden to get there) where he has been publishing lyrics, chords and a recording of a folk song a month since 1975. That's 31 years! Way cool guy, just watched him on Woodsongs a few days ago.

Bands come and go and some superstars end up not being in it for the music, they move on to greener or easier pastures. Some serious musicians keep on keeping on, they form new bands, they change with the times, they keep their stuff current and timely. They give back some of what they have received from music. We shouldn't forget them unless they want to be forgotten, (Cat Stevens comes to mind).

Visit an aging rockers site and leave some fan mail. It's a really nice thing to do and most of them still have enough money to pay somebody to read it to them! :D

BSR

Hmmm? how about Pink Floyd clone--Hawkwind?

Vanilla fudge, Electric prunes, Asia, Turtles, Lovin spoonfull, Pretty things, Blind Faith, 1910 fruit gum company, The Troggs, The Zombies, Mott the Hoople, Three dog night, Curved air, Brenton Wood, Kiss, Johnny Kidd & the Pirates, The Pixies, OK I'll stop for now. I love this thread

We're an American Band...... Who could forget 'em?? :yes:

"I'm Getting Closer To My Home".....does it for me!

....or....."Closer To Home"........or......."I'm Your Captain"......or whatever the heck it's called!

Does anyone remember Grand Funk Railroad... !?!

Sure do :) , and Guess Who ,Bachman Turner Overdrive

and Average White Band (or Average White Bland as some of my friends back then used to call them) :D

Cheers

Peter