Slidewinder

Two questions on tabs

Numero uno :

I'm trying to learn the intro to "Stairway..." but I've run into a problem picking the opening notes. Printed from ultimate-guitar tabs, it reads (numbers fret; letters string): 7-D, 5-G, 5-B, 5-E and then this -- 7-E, 6 -D, with no notes to pick on the B and G strings; no O's to show that these are to be played as open strings along with those fretted. How do I go about doing this? I hope I'm making sense here; I'm obviously new to guitar.

Question two:

Trying also to learn the intro to "Freebird" but ran head-on  into this domescratcher:

Sliding down the fret from say 3/8 or 3/5/7, e.g., I have no problem. However,  at the beginning of the intro I'll run into  5/ or \5 all alone, let's say, with no indication of what to slide up or down to. Wut up wit dat?

Hey Slidewinder,

To play this tab, you have to play these two notes (7-E, 6 -D) simultaneously.  You can't strum all the strings.  The song lends itself to finger style where you would use your thumb for the 6-D and either your ring or middle finger for the 7-E.  If using a pick (which I don't) you'll have to come up with a hybridised pick/fingerstyle method where you pick the 6-D with the pick while simultaneously picking the 7-E with probably your ring finger.

But if you listen to the song, you can probably get away with not playing these notes together - play the 6-D followed by the 7-E rather than together.