Danisn22

Beginner Here

Hey all! Im new to guitar, prefer metal and rock of course. I am about 2 months into lessons and was loving it until I upgraded to a Gibson Les Paul. I know this sounds ridiculous. Anyone else having issues with this guitar? Seems I have to tune it literally every time I pick it up. I also bought it used on sale so I'm wondering if that's why its so horrible. Any recommendations for a different brand as I'm trading this one in probably today.

Danisn22,

One thing that can affect the tuning is changes in humidity. The weather can play havoc with a guitar.

Welcome to the forum!

Mike

3 hours ago, Danisn22 said:

Hey all! Im new to guitar, prefer metal and rock of course. 

Metal and rock of course?  I like me some old time rock & roll, but I find metal to be screaming over white noise most of the time.  Of course, that is only my opinion.

New strings no lighter than .010 for high E.  As mentioned by mset3, weather can change things.  Humidity, or lack thereof, and temperature changes should be avoided.  I built a room in my basement for a studio/office and guitar storage.  The temp never swings more than a few degrees underground.  I run a large humidifier in that room full time.  I keep the relative humidity between 40 and 50%.  As I look at my hygrometer right now the relative humidity is 46%.

But new strings is really the first thing to try.  Its not expensive and my help resolve your tuning problems.  BTW, most guitarists tune before they play - every time.  Sometimes, if you're lucky, it might still be in tune.  My guitars in my storage facility (basement studio) stay in tune very well, yet I usually check with a tuner each time I play.  The guitars I have are  a couple steps above Gibson guitars in general, and I think Gibsons, overall, are good instruments.  I sure have owned a lot of them in my 51 years of learning guitar.

After trying strings, take it to a luthier to have it setup.  He will tell you if there are other problems to address, or just simple adjustments.

Heya, thanks for the reply. Metal doesn't have to be screamy all the time lol Its certainly fun to play.  I ended up taking the guitar in last night and it was definitely my  :censored:up with the new strings that was causing the problems and endless frustration so that's resolved. I also switched my amp in and everything seems to be a bit better now. Well see how it goes!

• Like 1