sheraton

Collab 1 wi' Carol

sheraton    20

How'do folks :)

Starting with Some Lyrics from Carol put forward for a Collab - i thought i'd start this as a thread and post as a progression ;)

How can it be

That after all these years

I look at you

And I still love you

I don’t know how -

Never dreamed [that] this would last

Always thought that love died

Always did/had/has done in the past

At first you think it’s love

You believe that when it starts

But love changes, then it/love dies

One or [the] other, [and] then you part

I thought that Love never lasts

I’d learnt that over time

It’s always been the same

Time after time

So how can it be

I look at you

And I still love you

this is a Good starting point for a song to me - there is enough of a "Feeling" in here to get "the Feel" - I'll make some word changes/tweaks/additions etc..

Mainly to fit the musical progression I have in mind - for this I do have a couple of tweaks that may slightly change the tone but still true to the original idea :D i'm sure Carol you know how I roll

How can it be

the hard times we struggle through

the sweat and the tears

we look into each others eyes

and it's easy to see

I still LoVe you

and you still LoVe me

I don’t know how -

Never dreamed that this would last

Never thought LoVe could survive

I was told the moment would pass

this fits Good for me musically chords/melody/progression wise - and i'd like to imagine the story is an old couple who've been together forever and still In LoVe despite being told LoVe  can never last :D 

if I can figure out some technical difficulties I'll post the bare backing track idea i have for this along with the chords :)

Paul.

sheraton    20

Here is a sample of the Piano and Drums Backing track I made :) no Guitars yet

very simple chord progression - the main part is G sharp  and B flat minor

then 2 simple changes - 1st -  C sharp, G sharp and B flat minor

2nd - F sharp and G sharp

it should be easy enough to hear the progression and timing for the changes on this bare backing track ;)

if anyone fancies joining in or wants to jam with the backing track - I can upload a longer version - however, I don't record/play in concert pitch so you'd need to adjust accordingly - i'm tuned down from concert pitch  -32cents or 432hz as opposed to 440hz ......it's just "Better" ;)

Paul. 

Collab 1 backin track.mp3

carol m    64

I dunno, I go away for the weekend, and find you've been beavering away over there all weekend! :) Excellent start.  You know, as usual, that I don't mind the tweaks etc - the lyrics are always a starting point [hopefully] that can be bent, twisted...whatever to fit any musical ideas anyone can come up with.  

Have you got a drum kit now? Which I doubt :) but how, and using what, did you make such a complicated drum track?

And... you are just going to have to explain how you tune down 32 cents if you don't want to lose your 'audience'.  Is that a semitone? Or something else? I know I could just pick up a guitar and work it out, but...but...it's easier to ask!

Great idea for others to join in...were you a member here whan we did the My Name is Cliff Hanger collab, or was that before your time? We had about 8 different members playing different instruments, tracks and solos etc

sheraton    20

How'do Carol :)

I use EZdrummer for drum tracks - it's the best "drum machine" I've used - and I use with Reaper to create the backing track, then transfer to my 8 track...lol...not ideal, but it does the job ;)

for Guitar all that is required is a tuner that can be calibrated to a 432hz reference note - at the minute I have the Pitchlab app on my phone - for piano/keys parts I recalibrate by tuning down to -32 cents.....it sounds about right to me :D 

I don't recognise "My Name is Cliffhanger" must've been before my time yes........it would be great to get more folks involved on a recording like this tho ;)

i'll add a bass track to this next - i'll do one track at a time and post the progress - if anyone would like to add something or even just jam to a track feel free and if you'd like a Full backing from any stage I can upload on request :)

Paul.

sheraton    20

tweaked lyrics :) 

Main Part

How can it be

the hard times we struggle through

the sweat and the tears

ONE look into each others eyes

and it's easy to see

I still LoVe you

and you still LoVe me

1st Change

I don’t know how -

Never dreamed that this would last

Never thought LoVe could survive

THEY SAID the moment would pass    - ( my first tweak had one too many syllables to fit ;))

THEY'LL SAY At first you think it’s love

AND YOU'LL believe that when it starts

But GIVEN TIME love changes

And soon you'll drift apart

2nd Change

I thought that Love WON'T EVER last

I’d BEEN TOLD that EVERY time

It’s been the same SAD STORY

WITH THE SAME OLD LINE

Main Part

So How can it be

the TALES OF LOVE WE LISTEN TO

the DOUBTS and the FEAR

ONE look into each others eyes

and it's easy to see

I still LoVe you

and you still LoVe me

these lyrics will come and go pretty quickly when sung over this backing track - not always a bad thing - i'll see how the overall structure works out, it may be that this Song will be better with a few more lines added - or it may be lyrically short n sweet - the overall "story" or "question" in this song doesn't actually need more to be complete....in my mind ;)

plenty Space for Guitar licks tho :D

Paul.

carol m    64

It's looking good to me, Paul.

I've spent most of the day searching GFB for the Cliff Hanger Collab thread, and failed.  Which is a pity because it went on for weeks, and I think about 7 or 8 members contributed.  I wrote the lyrics [humourous], X$stringDrive did the vocals, separate members did blues harp, bass, rhythm, drums, and I think 3 or 4 members added solos.   The song was mixed by a member, probably kidhaiti.  I've tried to search for kidhaiti's content (to find the thread but search result is 'nothing found'.  There used to be a data base of Members you could search but couldn't find it anywhere.

I have the final mix saved on my computer and it's titled Cliff Hanger Blues Final Mix - kidhaiti dated 27th July 2009.  So I posted it as a demo of what a collab of several members can be:

kidhaiti - cliff hanger's blues final mix.mp3

sheraton    20

B) oh Aye - we NEED a bit more of those collaborations

I'm hoping that posting this collab in stages may entice some folks to have a bash :)

even if it's just jamming or doing your own thing with the backing track :guitardude: everyone should feel free to do what they like with anything I post ;) 

Paul.

sheraton    20

:huh: it seems the backing track I've posted is a wee bit messed up - i'm not sure how, but it is playing back slow and down in pitch :confused: the quality is messed up too

i'll have to try and figure out how i can get a recording transferred from my 8-track - in the past I connected the line out from the 8-track to line in on my laptop, however my old laptop has a few issues and this is the result.....i'm posting here from a different laptop - and this one has no line in.....hmmm.....i'll need to have a wee think about this.

Paul. 

carol m    64

Bad luck with the old laptop, I know how it feels.  Doesn't your 8 track have a USB--computer connection?

I'm sure you'll work something out.

sheraton    20

:) I've not forgotten this one - i'm still a bit stuck as far as transferring a mix to mp3 - the USB port on my old Boss is for file backup only.......

I do have a rough idea recorded - Guitars, bass, vocals :guitardude:

I just remembered I have a really old PC tower.....I should be able to hook that back up and hopefully I can do a line-in recording

Paul.

carol m    64

Hey Paul: I was keeping the faith...but did wonder if your old clunker had reclaimed you for a while [I also have an old-ish clunker, so no offense meant]. 

You always used to be able to transfer recordings from your Boss 8 to computer - what changed?   What format is your Boss 8 recording's file? There are apps that convert file types to mp3: Handbrake is one I've used, and Switch is another I've used.

Would it help if you sent me the Boss 8 recording and I tried to convert it to mp3 - I'm not a geek so if all this is rubbish, please ignore.

sheraton    20

How'do Carol. the problem is with my laptop - the older one I used in the past has a bit of a virus and won't record playback via the souncard input - the newer laptop has no souncard input for playback recording.

the issue with converting a file is - I record the output from my Boss during playback, i.e without mastering the tracks on the Boss to a stereo mix - they're all still separate tracks, this way I can post the backing track and then post the progress of each track being added - also I can add/remove/edit each track.

i'd have to do a master mix to a stereo track to have a file to convert - but then i'd have to record the whole track again to add/edit etc.. storage space on my OLD Boss also adds to the issue (I gave the new Boss 8 track I had to my neice).....lol......it's fun.....i'll figure something out.

and I hope you were not referring to my Good Girl as an "Old Clunker"  :o:D 

100_6945.thumb.JPG.443ba3661c90a2455faf9a6dbd0f72b4.JPG

DSC04067.thumb.JPG.76effaf4359f272aa640a489e80ceadd.JPG

Paul.

sheraton    20

How'do Carol :)

Sorry that last post was from a couple of days ago - i guess there was an issue uploading as it was saved in the reply box when I came to post an update just now :)

I've had a wee bit of a result :D 

the difference in the backing track should be noticeable when compared to the first one I posted ;) 

Backing track - never thought 1c.mp3

Add Bass Guitar - never thought 1b.mp3

the bass part needs redone and will probably change a bit here and there - I've been holding back from finalising the parts so as not to just be posting a finished article.

I did already change the Guitar parts a wee bit :D ......not sure if it's for the better, you'll see what I mean when I add vocals ;)

this is with 2 Guitar tracks - however it's essentially 2 takes of the Rhythm Guitar track - the 2nd or Lead Guitar will (when added) Double up with the first Guitar mostly and add lead lines where required - and i'll remove one of the Rhythm Guitar tracks :)

Add Guitar - never thought 1a.mp3

Paul

carol m    64

and I hope you were not referring to my Good Girl as an "Old Clunker"  :o:D 

100_6945.thumb.JPG.443ba3661c90a2455faf9a6dbd0f72b4.JPG

DSC04067.thumb.JPG.76effaf4359f272aa640a489e80ceadd.JPG

Paul.

Nice clean engine - must make your Mum proud! :)