Exopipe

Castor oil for fretboard?

I want to oil my fretboard and inwant to now if castor oil would do the work fine without damaging my fretboard (obviusly) i ask because i have it household and it would be awesome to see its good results (if it have them)

Waiting your answers :3

Boiled linseed oil was common 30 years ago.  More recently Lemon oil seems to be favored.  I've used both in the past 40 years.  Linseed oil seems to gum up if there is an excess, so now its just the Lemon Oil.  And just slightly more often than never.

Probably your fingerboard doesn't need oil.  Most don't need it at all.  You can also go the route of contacting the manufacturer and get their recommendation.  So these days I use Lemon oil every 5 to 10 years.  Rub a little on and rub it off.  Make sure all excess is wiped off or it will make your strings die before their time.

I just put the second lemon oil treatment on my Collings OM3.  The guitar was made during December 2000.  I had the strings off, so I figured what the hell.  I don't treat these guitars casually.  Collings guitars a fairly expensive.  I have no problem using lemon oil every few years.

I started using Lemon oil in about 1979 when I was the guitar repair guy at a local store.

I have never heard of castor oil being used.  I don't know its properties so I can't say if its a good fingerboard oil or not.  I think I would prefer nothing, which is totally acceptable, rather than taking a chance with an unknown.  

I'm considering a Lemon oil treatment for my Tom Anderson electric guitar.  I've had it for more than a decade and I've never put oil put on the fingerboard.  It might be time for a light coat.

• Thanks 1

I put lemon oil on my fingerboards every 5 to 10 years.  If I wasn't pretty sure I don't think I would have used it on my Collings guitars.