mj_zak

Advice on an acoustic guitar

We have a steel strung acoustic guitar at home. The make is honour. I've been learning on an electric guitar but I want to put that acoustic to good use as I want to play alot of acoustic based stuff. The thing is I sometimes get the feeling that this guitar was made for more experienced musicians as its impossible to play any chords (or maybe thats just me)

With my electric guitar even if you dont push down really hard you can still get a clear note (or chord) but with this acoustic you have really push down and if one other finger is slightly out of place it wont ring propally.

Anyway would it be best to take this guitar to the shop and get it restrung as it hasnt been played in a while? Also one of the tuning pegs seems to make a scratching noise when turned. Should I get it checked out? Your help is much appriciated thanks.

Hi mj_zak.

Acoustics are usually strung with heavier strings than electrics, and have always been a little more difficult to play than electrics. I know that if I don't play my acoustic for a couple of days (a rare occurence), when I do pick it up it takes a while to come to grips with it. Having said all that, it shouldn't be impossible. I think you may need to take to the guitar to an expert and have him set it all up. Over the years, necks warp a bit, soundboards bulge a little, bridges lean over a little, nut grooves wear down a little, until finally the instrument is out of whack and unplayable. I must admit, I've never heard of Honor guitars before. It may never have been a very good guitar.

Good guitars are those that keep you sitting there for hours on end.

Acoustic guitars have always been harder to play correctly since there is no overdrive or distortion to really hide a mistake. Sloppiness that can be gotten away with on the electric guitar will make the acoustic guitar sound horrible. This is why that with learning, one should do it on an acoustic if possible, or an electric guitar on a clean setting only, so one can hear and immediately correct a mistake.

the action may need to be lowered on it to make it easier to play

take it into a guitar tech. and have it looked at; it could be that you just need to build up some caluses on your fingers and the guitar is fine

or the action could be set to high, or really heavy strings could be on it causeing it to be harder to play

Hmmm. I googled for honour guitars and nothing. Look in the sound hole. Sometimes there is a label of the parent company inside. Sounds like it could be a cheapy from the 60s'. Let us know what the teck guy says about it.