onacarom

Obstinato - Neo Classical Fusion

carol m    64

Nice playing Marcus.

Obviously (!) I had to research Obstinato.  First I found that Obstinato and Ostinato [no 'b'] are used randomly and interchangeably on Youtube to refer to Elogio De La Danza : Lento , Ostinato by Leo Brouwer, even thought the Leo Brouwer composition is actually called Ostinato [no 'b'].  However, that is not what Marcus is playing.  So checking Ostinato at wikipedia: 

"In music, an ostinato [ostiˈnaːto] (derived from Italian: stubborn, compare English, from Latin: 'obstinate') is a motif or phrase that persistently repeats in the same musical voice, usually at the same pitch. Well-known ostinato-based pieces include both classical compositions such as Ravel's Boléro and popular songs such as Donna Summerand Giorgio Moroder's "I Feel Love" (1977) and The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony" (1997).[1][2]"

So Marcus' piece clearly fits this definition, but is not that classical piece written by Leo Brouwer. 

Then I found 

"Canto Ostinato ("Obstinate Song" (as ostinato)) is a musical composition written by the Dutch composer Simeon ten Holt. The piece was completed in 1976 and performed for the first time in 1979 and is by far his most popular and most performed work".

As far as I can tell, this is the piece that Marcus is playing.  So now, curiosity satisfied, I can get back to enjoying Marcus's music video. :) 

• Like 1