MikkoKarhula

Advice for mind control in recording situations needed.

Hi guys!

I would need some advices for recording situation. Actually, how to control thoughts.
Quite often when I play some songs that can be relatively difficult I can manage them enough but when I'm recording sometimes mind flies too much and it becomes disturbing. I might start to think "ok, next there will come the difficult part and I might mess it up". Then I usually mess that part. But when I'm not recording it usually goes with natural flow quite ok.

In this time too. I couldn't get the composition played well enough so I gave up and made completely different piece by improvisation

Kindest, Mikko

Rockerbob    47

This is not unique.  I think most players have a bit of "Recording Phobia" that does indeed kick in when the record button is pressed.  I don't have a great solution, but what has helped me is to start recording everything, even just practice sessions.  You can delete them later to reclaim the HD space, but record everything.  Then, the record mode being on will become a more natural state.  You can also add recording multiple takes of your tracks, forgetting about any mistakes, and then, with a little luck, you can build a composite track that is free of noticeable mistakes.

• Like 2

mset3    158

Mikko,

I agree. I can play something 10 times perfectly and when I hit the record button my fingers turn to jelly. I like Rockerbob's suggestion. After a while the record button might not be so intimidating.

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you for your advices! I think you are right.

My main problem is that I don't practice enough and I have just too little time for making these recordings. I think after practicing same song very precisely it might add confidence and mind would control my doings in positive way, like "yeah, I can play this, there's no problem...etc."

cheers!

• Like 1

carol m    64

I agree that the recording button causes me to mistakes, no matter how many times I tell myself that it really makes no difference.  Somehow it does.  Very annoying, but I suspect those comments above are correct -  if you still make mistakes when recording, more practice is needed, especially with the recording button 'on'.

• Like 1

scotty_b    16

A couple of things
1. Practice the parts very very slowly so you know exactly what it is you are trying to do. With limited time this can be very beneficial to help you get there you need to be sooner.

2. Record as much as possible and you'll get used to it.

• Like 1