rudysblues

My Gretsch Style Guitar Kit Build

rudysblues    1

The Kit

The kit has come with a mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard with acrylic block inlay and a maple body.

Gretsch-Style-Guitar-Kit.jpg

Prepare the Neck

The neck tenon was milled to small and not right on the centerline. So I created some wooden studs to temporarily set the bridge. With thad I was able to measure position exactly.

001_WoodenBridgeStuts.jpg

With my Centerline Finder I measured how much I had to correct in witch way.

Gretsch-Style-Guitar-Centerline.jpg

With some mahogany veneer I added material, so I could chisel the tenon back to a tight fit.

Gretsch-Style-Guitar-Neck.jpg

The build on YouTube:

rudysblues    1

Shim the neck to the soundboard

Through the alignment process, the neck has become a little far up from the soundboard. So I decided to shim the gap to the soundboard.

ShimNeckToSoundboard.jpg

Trem screws reinforce

To screw the trem system with two screws only through the soundboard seems a little weak to me, so I made me two blocks of wood to glue under the soundboard. To glue them in the right spot, I made a Template of paper, thad I taped on the inside.

TremScrewsReinforce.jpg

Glue the neck

To glue in the neck was fairly easy. I glued the neck with Titebond wood glue. I'v spreaded the glue with a thin peace of cardboard on the body side of the joint. The neck I clamped with two clamps an two blocks of plywood thad have a layer of cork. The block on the fretboard side have a radius thad matches the radius of the fretboard.

GlueTheNeck.jpg

Superglue the neck joint

The wood glue has left a slight grove on some spots on the neck joint. This grove I have filled with superglue. On the side of the body and neck joint I made a barrier with painters tape and some teflon to prevent the glue from dripping out.

SuperglueNeckJoint.jpg

Part 2 on YouTube