ThatsDoable

Pickup Repair

Hello all!

I recently acquired an old Aspen hollowbody electric guitar. The neck pickup seems to play fine through my amp, but when I switch the selector to the middle position and the bridge position I loose signal. There are volume and tone controls for each of the pickups, which I have tried fiddling around with to no avail (they work for the neck pickup, have no affect on non-functional bridge pickup). 

I have been playing guitar for a while, but have never switched out any electronics or done any sort of repair. I would love to learn how to repair this myself but have no idea where to start. Does anybody have any suggestions where to start / how to diagnose the problem / if this is even doable for a newbie? 

Additional information
The pickups are humbuckers
I see no plate to gain access to the inside, I've heard this means I will need to go through the sound hole / input jack
I have a soldering gun but very little experience soldering
The guitar is pretty old, I'd say made in the late 80's

Thank you for your help! 

it sounds like there is a short to ground on the bridge pickup.  If the neck pickup doesn't continue work in the middle, the bridge pickup's wiring is where I'd look first.  Working through the holes and then getting them back in place without causing another short is very difficult.  You don't want anything as big as a soldering gun.  A small soldering iron made for electronics is better.

As a beginner at this type of work, you stand a better chance of making all the settings dead.

Grammar Police (English is one of my son's majors at university):  "Did you lose some weight?  Your pants look loose."  This is one of the most common misspellings. 

Oh dear, I know I'm going to regret this - but I don't see anything wrong with 'Did you lose weight? Your pants look loose' - at least in English English  [Damn! They've taken away the emoticon of person disappearing fast right]

37 minutes ago, carol m said:

Oh dear, I know I'm going to regret this - but I don't see anything wrong with 'Did you lose weight? Your pants look loose' - at least in English English  [Damn! They've taken away the emoticon of person disappearing fast right]

11 hours ago, ThatsDoable said:

I recently acquired an old Aspen hollowbody electric guitar. The neck pickup seems to play fine through my amp, but when I switch the selector to the middle position and the bridge position I loose signal. 

I was providing an example of the correct spellings for lose and loose.

OK, I'm glad we are in furious agreement! You did make me think though - not easily done. :)

Also I just found where all the Emoticons went: just click the 'Category' drop down at top right on the first Emoticon window... This is what I meant :escape:

Thanks for your help Rockerbob. I guess I might have to take it to someone who knows what they're doing :mellow:

And I actually do appreciate the Grammar Police, great to know from now on

2 hours ago, ThatsDoable said:

Thanks for your help Rockerbob. I guess I might have to take it to someone who knows what they're doing :mellow:

And I actually do appreciate the Grammar Police, great to know from now on

My son is the real grammar police.  He also has majors in mathematics, psychology, and biology.  I can't make as many mistakes as I used to.  I get called out - all in good nature, and like you, its good to know the rules so you can break them properly.