truman48

Fender Cd-60 opinions

truman48    3

Hello,   Just wondering what people's opinions are on this guitar for a beginner?  

I played it in in my local music store yesterday and thought it sounded really good. The neck seems wider than my current guitar which is a Greg Bennet D7 which sounds kind of tinny to me.  

mset3    158

Truman,

If it played good and sounded really good, then it is a good guitar. Your opinion is the only one that matters.

Mike

Rockerbob    47

Disclaimer:  I'm an irascible curmudgeon and I'm getting old and tired.  I've been a student of guitar for 50 years and have owned hundreds of guitars over the years.  I think the most I had at once was 25 fairly high end guitars.  I've played a thousand guitars in the years I spent working as the guitar repair guy at local stores with huge inventories of guitars.  Yes, I have become a guitar snob.  I don't much like inexpensive guitars any more.   I'm spoiled.  I've had to sell off all but 6 of my collection, but I kept the best 6.  I don't buy clothes, my newest shoes are 10 years old, my car is old enough to drink, my computer is an early 2009 Mac Pro, our flooring is all old and needs replacement, I let guitar strings get much older than I'd like before changing them; but these last 6 guitars I will defend against all risks.

I can't give advice on an inexpensive guitar just by make and model.  Some high end makers can be trusted to make all their guitars good, but lower priced instruments vary widely in many aspects of what makes a guitar "good."  I can say, with some amount of certainty, that inexpensive guitars are usually mediocre at best, and down right unplayable at worst.  I know it seems outrageous, but the cases for good guitars are more than $199.  You really need to try guitars before you buy them.  At least bring a friend that knows something about guitars.  A gem could be hiding in a sea of mediocrity.

I always try before I buy.  I will order strings, electronics, cables and accessories online, but I have never bought a guitar I didn't play first - and I have owned many guitars.  Even with high end guitars that all sound good, not all guitars speak to me.  I drove 3 hours each way to play a couple Tom Anderson (electric) guitars.  They were fabulous and I bought one on the spot.  The feel is important to me, not just the action.  The "feel" is nebulous, therefore hard to describe, but you know it when you find the one for you.  Its like sex, except your guitar doesn't care if you play other guitars.  At the beginning, the feel is more important than the tone.  Learn to play, then worry about tone later.

My budget is much tighter now, and I wouldn't be able to buy the guitars I have.  I sold off all but 6 and raised over $50,000.  I didn't sell any for less than I paid them for.  Guitars can be a good investment if you own them for 20-30 years.

truman48    3

What you guys have said is exactly how I felt when I played it. Ive only been playing 3 weeks and previously when Ive been to the music store there is no way I would have played a guitar for fear of looking like an idiot. They have a  guitar display room with a couch off to the side of the main store and no one was in there so I sat down and started playing this guitar. The sound was amazing and it felt so easy to play. I was switching chords without missing strings etc and was quite amazed at how easy it seemed to be to play. I fell in love with this guitar, it felt and sounded amazing and looked really nice to.

I think I might have to go and buy it.

Rockerbob    47
7 hours ago, truman48 said:

Ive only been playing 3 weeks and previously when Ive been to the music store there is no way I would have played a guitar for fear of looking like an idiot.

I look like an idiot so much that I don't notice it anymore.