Nutty

Checking in!

Hey man

How's it going

Yeah, here we need to change something quick i think, not sure, but maybe a give away or something for some one who post the most clips of their playing. Well, anyway i do stop in now and then and yes, i remember the good ole days, so much so soon on the site

Hey Nutty!!  How are you??? Yay, Some of the old gang are returning - and we need more if forum is going to get back near to what it was.  Tell all your friends.  :) 

Maybe I'll have another go at University Song...but I'm very out of practice.  All we need is to drag Starsailor back to picking up his guitar as well as looking after his 'oldies'.  Knight46 occasionally still posts.  Maybe I'll email Sheridan...see if he's still employed - it seems that work and music don't mix so well for him...just idle thoughts. 

Hi Nutty.

I still lurk here too occasionally.  How are you doing?

Hi Carol, Mike, Windsong, Keith...

Hi Doug,

we should start some discussions on lyrics/song meanings like we used to e.g Leonard Cohen - always provides plenty of ambiguity and opinions on meanings.  I suspect that not even he could answer questions about what a song or line 'means' - more something like: 'this is what I was feeling, and this is the song I wrote'. 

Hi Carol,

The one I'm playing with now is "While my guitar gently weeps" by George Harrison.  It's interesting both lyrically as well as musically.  It alternates between Am and A major although I think there are some chords outside of the scales as well.  I'll try to post something soon.

-Doug

I've never really thought about the lyrics, I'll have to check them out.  BTW don't forget Rockerbob is our George Harrison expert if you get stuck with the chords.

On 6/20/2017 at 7:24 PM, carol m said:

I've never really thought about the lyrics, I'll have to check them out.  BTW don't forget Rockerbob is our George Harrison expert if you get stuck with the chords.

I'm not an expert at anything, but I have experience in many things.  I have been a Beatles fan for 50 years, but that endows no special expertise.  

I'm an irascible curmudgeon, cranky about everything.  Then, I lost half my hearing and my ability to discern pitch accurately.  In about half an hour I'm going into get yet another steroid shot in my ears.  That's a joy I can't describe.  I don't hear worth a damn and hearing aids suck.   After that I got extremely cranky.   For about the past 5-6 years, I write and record music without really hearing it properly.  As they say on Tralfamadore, "So it goes."

Yes, that's a bummer alright.

I've recently started hearing [ :) ] a new phrase that can be applied to almost any situation. The phrase is 'It is what it is'.  Whenever someone says that, it effectively terminates any conversation, which is useful if you want to shut off someone else's woes without actually telling them to shut up complaining, but is very annoying if you are the one doing the woe-ing.    Is that phrase 'a thing' in the states?

Feel free to use it if you find it useful.

8 hours ago, carol m said:

Yes, that's a bummer alright.

I've recently started hearing [ :) ] a new phrase that can be applied to almost any situation. The phrase is 'It is what it is'.  Whenever someone says that, it effectively terminates any conversation, which is useful if you want to shut off someone else's woes without actually telling them to shut up complaining, but is very annoying if you are the one doing the woe-ing.    Is that phrase 'a thing' in the states?

Feel free to use it if you find it useful.

"It is what it is," is one of my pet peeves.  It implies nothing can change, and that I can't do anything to bring about change.  I first heard it from the mouths of sales reps I worked with years ago. Most of them were totally full of shit, all the time, every word.

Now when people tell me "it is what it is," I put the blame on them for not having the guts to address a problem.  Then I make fun of the stupidity of their assertion and call into question the lack of depth in their mental acumen.  I really want to choke them to death, and that would be wrong, but it is what it is.

Ha! Yes it's very annoying, I agree, but I don't think I'm about to choke anyone to death...just yet. :)

31 minutes ago, carol m said:

Ha! Yes it's very annoying, I agree, but I don't think I'm about to choke anyone to death...just yet. :)

Maybe not choke them to death, but perhaps bludgeon them about the head and shoulders. :cool:

I agree, it's overused, but in some cases it sums things up well.  It's like the raining frogs scene in Magnolia - sometimes shit happens and you have no control over it.  At least that's what I got from that scene.  Weird movie, though...