Hadders

Guitar Dashboard - Interactive music theory dashboard for guitarists.

Hadders    0

I'd like to share something I've been working on: http://guitardashboard.com. It's something I've built initially to aid my own study of diatonic modes and chords on the guitar, but I'm also hoping that others might find it useful. Some features:

• A chromatic circle and a circle of fifths for visualising scales and modes. Select the tonic and mode using the buttons in the centre.
  • A guitar fretboard that displays scales and modes.
  • Alternative tunings and instruments. Any stringed instrument with any tuning is potentially supported. So far just some guitar, bass and ukulele tunings, but please suggest others.
  • Left handed players are welcome. There's a new 'Settings' menu that will, no doubt, grow in future. Just select 'Left Handed Fretboard'.

I'm self taught when it comes to music theory, so I'd really like to hear any comments, bugs, suggestions. It's open source on GitHub with an MIT licence, so feel free to take the code and use it for your own purposes. Send me a pull-request if you're of the programmerish persuasion.

Enjoy! Mike

Rockerbob    47

It looks interesting for beginners that want to know what notes they are playing.  I've been playing 50 years and I still don't know the notes I play.  Its more like geography to me.  

JanVigne    27

Knowing nothing about programming, it certainly looks impressive.  

Any suggestion on my part would likely not be all that helpful since, as above, I'm not sure how at this stage of my playing I would use your tool.  As a learning tool I suppose I would want, if you could add to the fretboard display, the ability to separate out various patterned boxes for Major, minor, pentatonics, blues scale, etc.  

Otherwise, good work.

20 hours ago, Hadders said:
  • Left handed players are welcome. There's a new 'Settings' menu that will, no doubt, grow in future. Just select 'Left Handed Fretboard'.

Enjoy! Mike

Thank you! This is the only improvement I would have made, if you didn't have it. Since you have the ability to set the fretboard to intervals, I would also suggest solfege syllables - very useful. I also might consider making the wheels slightly smaller so the fretboard stays above the fold, or even putting the fretboard on top, but display is so relative, that's hard to say. I'm completely self-taught, too, so I've looked at lots of resources and created some myself, so I know this is really nice. I've bookmarked it. Thank you for sharing.