thecoldroad    0

Hello, it's my first time posting in forums. I've recently damaged my guitar while (ironically) cleaning it. It slipped and (even more ironically) got damaged by the case it was in, while I was cleaning it. One spot (on black) has the wood damaged, the other (on light) seems to have only the lacquer damaged. I've circled the impact spots on the guitar so that they're more visible (image below). I'm going to get it fixed, but since I have no experience with it, I'd like to know what should be done to it and how much it will cost, before taking it in.
wAPz1Sn.jpg

JanVigne    27

This sort of damage is typically limited to cosmetic appearance.  I'd be more concerned about structural damage and, if the guitar hit really hard, I'd have it checked by a tech.  

Otherwise, what you do is what you want to pay to do.  Scratches, nicks and dings are part of owning a guitar.  The first hurt the most.  Assess your budget and head to the tech.

Or simply buy a bit of touch up stain and do the minor cosmetic repairs yourself.  Assuming no internal damage has been done, the guitar will play the same and you won't see the dings while you're playing the guitar.   

Rockerbob    47

If the finish is nitrocellulose you can use a drop fill.  Black is easy to color match.  The other ding should close without color.  Be aware, the solvents used for nitrocellulose will eat your guitar's finish.  Use extreme care when handling solvent around your guitar.  Drop filling is putting 1 drop of lacquer on the ding.  I've used a toothpick to deliver a drop to the spot.  The solvents in the new lacquer will re-amalgamate the old and new together.  Wait 2 weeks then scrape level, wet sand, and buff.

******WARNING*******  

If you don't have experience with lacquer I would resolve myself to living with the dings.  Anytime you touch a guitar with new lacquer you also open a can of worms.  Drips, runs, color mismatched, and many other things can sneak up on you and bite you in the butt.   I certainly have dings on my guitars - because I play my guitars.  I'm very careful, but dings and dents will happen.

On the other hand, if your guitars finish is a polymer, it dries by chemical reaction and solvents won't re-amalgamate the old finish.  There are things that can be done, but the difficulty of working with dried polymer makes it mostly impossible.

Some players don't worry about dings, as shown in the attached photo.

ZappaJimiGuitar.png

carol m    64

Willie Nelson's Trigger is one of the most beat-up you'll see - a bit like Willie himself: ever see Willie in suit & tie?  Check this out:

Not sure how to add video I'll try this way:

Willie Nelson's Trigger

• Like 1