babaluma

Working out key and borrowed chords for a progression

babaluma    0

I have a chord progression I am working on. I am trying to teach myself to recognise and name the degrees of the chords I am using from the home key and also to identify chords borrowed from other keys. I just want to know if I am doing this correctly please!

The key is E minor with chords taken from G Minor I think. I have written it out below with the scale degree numbers for E minor key and the ones from G minor in bold underlined.

Does this make sense and is it correct?

Am7 Bm7 x 4

iv      v

D9 Fmaj7 C9 Ebmaj7 Dmaj7 

VII  VI       VI      VII       VII

Am7 Gm7 Am7

iv        i       iv

Thanks!

carol m    64

Disclaimer: My music theory is sadly lacking, however, by bending the few brain cells I have left, I think you might be right.

My reasoning:

For E and F to be major in the same key, they must be either

IV & V in a major key (Bmajor) or

VI & VII in a minor key (Gminor).

But I recommend you don't take my word for it....and wait for a reply from someone who knows more about chords & keys than I do.

babaluma    0
1 hour ago, carol m said:

Thanks Carol, I just wanted to know I am on the right path:)

Disclaimer: My music theory is sadly lacking, however, by bending the few brain cells I have left, I think you might be right.

My reasoning:

For E and F to be major in the same key, they must be either

IV & V in a major key (Bmajor) or

VI & VII in a minor key (Gminor).

But I recommend you don't take my word for it....and wait for a reply from someone who knows more about chords & keys than I do.

Kirk Lorange    128

Hi, Babaluma.

I'm not sure why you say it's in Em, a chord that's not even in the progression. I had a little strum through the chords and it seem more like Am to me, not so much the key but the tonal center. I'm finding it hard to pin any key down. Do you have a recording of it to upload? Doesn't have to be polished, just a rough to see what feel it is and how the chords fit in the time line.

Cheers, mate.

Carol: E and F# would be the IV and V of B, not F. 

carol m    64
14 hours ago, Kirk Lorange said:

Ahem...I don't think I claimed they were in F, or that one of the chords in question was F# not F. 

However, now that I think about it, Babaluma said one of the chords in question was an Fmaj7 in the progression was not an F#maj7, and to be in Bmajor ir would have to be an F#maj.  So now I'm totally confused.  Once again, I add a disclaimer that I could easily be wrong.

Kirk Lorange    128

Sorry, Carol, I'll reword my post: If it were the key of B, the IV and V chords would be E and F#.

F, the chord you suggested might be the V chord in the key of B, is the V chord in the key of C.

Hope that clears that up. 

babaluma    0
On 3/13/2017 at 10:46 AM, Kirk Lorange said:

Hi, Babaluma.

I'm not sure why you say it's in Em, a chord that's not even in the progression. I had a little strum through the chords and it seem more like Am to me, not so much the key but the tonal center. I'm finding it hard to pin any key down. Do you have a recording of it to upload? Doesn't have to be polished, just a rough to see what feel it is and how the chords fit in the time line.

Cheers, mate.

Hi Kirk,

I will upload a quick recording later today, thanks very much for your interest.

babaluma    0
On 3/13/2017 at 10:46 AM, Kirk Lorange said:

Hi, Babaluma.

Cheers, mate.

@Kirk Lorange

Hi Kirk,

Please see the attached MP3 of the chord progression we are discussing. I am obviously quite confused about the chords I am using with regards to the key so please advise when you have time, thanks very much.

So if we are in A minor the degrees would be as follows but with Ebmaj7 and Gm7 coming from the G minor scale? But then the D dominant9 (V from G major?) and Dmaj7 (IV from A major?) are also from another key as neither A minor or G minor have a major D only a minor D chord in the scales?

Am7 Bm7 x 4

i        ii

D9 Fmaj7 C9 Ebmaj7 Dmaj7 

?     VI       III     VI      ?

Am7 Gm7 Am7

i        i      i

Song idea.mp3

babaluma    0
On 3/14/2017 at 11:24 PM, Kirk Lorange said:

Hmmm ... as you point, out, there seem to be a few key changes going on in that progression. I'm not sure how to analyse it either, I'm afraid.

I think as some of the chords in the progression are just passing chords your theory it is basically A minor is correct I reckon. I am going to do some soloing on top of it as this may clarify the main changes more clearly. Thanks again!

Rockerbob    47
7 hours ago, Kirk Lorange said:

Now, now, RB ... you know that's a fib. You know exactly what you're doing. B)

Well, I don't know the names of the notes I play, at least mostly.  I can't read music.  And now, with my hearing impairment, vocals are mostly out of reach.  I'm working on 3 piece band instrumentals.  Just drums, bass, and guitar.  No overdubbing to add another part or instrument.  It has been fun playing with 3 piece arrangements.  There is a lot of flopping going on.  :-)