Sign in to follow this  
babaluma

Why are these chords iii ii progression?

Hello, this looks like a great forum!

I was watching a video talking about a cool Fela Kuti song called Water Get No Enemy. It is in a style called Afrobeat and is generally chordaly very simple but with amazing grooves.

The chords to the song are just Fm7 and Ebm7 and I think the key is Ebm (?). The guy in the video says this is a iii - ii progression. However while I understand the degrees of a scale why is Fm7 a iii and Ebm7 a ii as surely Eb is the i (tonic) and F is the ii diminished in Eb minor scale? So why in this case is the Eb iii and the F not a diminished chord but a m7?

This is the tune by the way, the chords I am talking about kick in about 1.17 into the song.

Thanks!

babaluma,

If Fm7 is a iii chord and Ebm7 a ii chord, the tonic id Db and not Ebm.

Welcome to the forum!

Mike

17 hours ago, mset3 said:

babaluma,

If Fm7 is a iii chord and Ebm7 a ii chord, the tonic id Db and not Ebm.

Welcome to the forum!

Mike

Of course! I need to clean my ears out, no idea why I had it as Ebm. Thanks a lot:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Deni Kitov
      Hello guys,
      I want to ask one (maybe stupid) question. I'm playing a lot of heavy metal and genres like this but lately I have been improvising some jazz over backing tracks. I'm wondering what scale should I play over some chords. For example one backing track was in E. The rhythm played E7 chord I played E pentatonic scale (don't know if it fits the chord) and then the rhythm changed to A7 and I was still playing E pentatonic major but it sounded out of key and I than started to play E major scale. Should I change to A major scale or I will go out of key? So what scale to choose over what chords - for example the progression is C7 - Dm7. Should I play only C major over both of the chords or should I change the scale ?? :/ 
      Thanks in advance!
    • By Tijs87
      Dear fellow guitar players,

For the last years I’ve been struggling with implementing inversions in the songs I play. Especially choosing which inversions to use when. With the piano it is seen as best practice in general to use inversions that are near the chord you’re already playing. On the guitar I’ve never encountered any charts that show different chord combinations that you could use together best.

Do you know of certain books/resources that show good practices of which inversions to use together?

I understand that some of you may say I have to learn to think for myself, but my experience is that this works best when you’ve had some good examples.

Kind regards,
      Tijs
    • By badshot
      Video I made to show how to easily change between the E D A chords. Minimal finger movement is the key. Your first finger never leaves the 3rd string when changing between all 3 chords. All it does is slide between the first and second fret. The other fingers move minimally between strings.
      https://youtu.be/MmKWB3JyyRQ
    • By Navkrish
      Hi All..
      I am new to guitar however i have learned some chords like E,Em,G,C,A,Am,D,Dm.. I can play some songs as well.
      my question is how we need to keep our finger on string positions.
      for example. take an Em chord. why we need to keep exactly on the specified string using 2 fingers
      is thr anyway i can get some tips or learn on these? or what is the trick.
      in guitar formula EADGBE we are keeping our 2 fingers on AD ( 2nd fret ) how it is relating with Emin.. Please help
      Regards,
      Navaneeth
    • By littlerunaway
      so I have somewhat dumb question. unlike E or A chords for example where the fingers are close together, there are chords like C (again, just an example) where the fingers are kind of spread out. I'm having trouble with these. I mean, playing the chords is fine, but changing between chords quickly is what I'm having trouble with. I can't move my fingers into position all at once, I end up doing it one finger at a time which takes too long.
      are there any tips/tricks/practice methods that can help me?
      I've practice some chord changes, between Dmajor and Cmajor for example, but it doesn't seem to improve.
      I'm a girl btw, so maybe my shorter fingers have some part in the problem, but I can't really change those...