colorful

Resin / composite material body, crack repair

colorful    0

Hi everyone!

I like your forum and I read it constantly but this is my first attempt to post something.

I apologize for my english but it's not my mother tongue.

Now that's the topic:

I am restoring an old Yamaha apxt1n and I'm searching for some suggestions, maybe some of You can help me in my mission.

There is a crack on the body starting from the strap knob on the bottom of the body. It does not affect the playability or the overall state but I want to repair it avoiding future problems.

I have some questions for You: 

1) Does anyone know which kind of material the body is made of? (Inside is wood, outside it seems some kind of resin/composite)

2) Can someone please advise me how can it could be repaired? (Maybe some kind of filler / compound resin)

3) Can someone give me some tips on how to proceed?

Thank you so much for your support and patience, I think this could be a good repair topic for anyone searching for the internet.

IMG_20170223_200221.jpg

IMG_20170223_200355.jpg

JanVigne    27

You first have to examine the crack from the inside of the guitar to ascertain just what damage has been done.  Given the construction of your guitar, you should know whether the crack extends to the inside of the guitar body.

Once that's done, you repair a crack in this guitar as you would any other guitar.  You will need clamps and cleats and a material specific glue.  Once you pull the crack together, you may not need any filler unless you are being very picky.  

Contact Yamaha, they are typically a helpful company.  They may have, or can recommend, a resin specific adhesive.  From the photos, the  crack should largely disappear once the repair has been made.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+repair+a+cracked+guitar&rlz=1CAACAJ_enUS705US705&oq=how+to+repair+a+cracked+guitar&aqs=chrome..69i57.10012j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

colorful    0

Hi JanVigne! 

Thank You so much for your response!

I've a brief idea on how to adjust a crack on wood, I need some idea to adjust this kind of material's, expecially about the matte dark grey finish (it's a kind of synthetic material).

I will try to contact Yamaha but I'm pretty sure they will answer me to get to an autorized repair shop (not worth of it in my opinion).

Thank You again!