edg57

Slide fatigue

edg57    0

I am just getting back into slide after many years away. I'm making good progress but I notice that after 30-40 minutes of playing it really begins to suck, particularly on the lower frets....fret noise, unwanted sounds, etc. This is not a problem at all when I first begin to play.

I'm calling this "slide fatigue", and hoping that the more often I play, this will be corrected.

Anyone else have a similar experience or tips to share?

carol m    64

hI edge, interesting that you call it 'slide fatigue' because I wonder if it's a case of 'blame the tools, not the player'?  That is a trap that I, for one, always fall into.  I'm sure you will find that the more you practice the less 'tired' your slide will become! :)

Anyway, the main thing is that you have started using it again. Good luck with your practice.

Kirk Lorange    128

I think you're right, edg57 ... the more you do it, the better it will be. I play a lot of slide but I don't think I've ever experienced that. Cramps, yes. Sometimes my hand and fingers turn to rock.

JanVigne    27

"I am just getting back into slide after many years away. I'm making good progress but I notice that after 30-40 minutes of playing it really begins to suck, particularly on the lower frets....fret noise, unwanted sounds, etc. This is not a problem at all when I first begin to play."

Should we take "many years away" to mean you have also spent many years away from playing guitar?  

If so, then time is likely the best answer.  Technique suffers when you ignore it.  

If not, then possibly you need to step out of your (dis)comfort zone and learn a few new songs that challenge your skills.

edg57    0

Just to clarify, Carol - not blaming the slide. I just wonder if the left hand/wrist is getting tired after a while. You have to hold it in a much different position than when playing fingered.  And I have not been away from the guitar in 50 years. I play constantly. But I have been away from any serious slide playing for at least 25.

It seems like time and practice is the answer. Thanks. 

Rockerbob    47
20 minutes ago, edg57 said:

Just to clarify, Carol - not blaming the slide. I just wonder if the left hand/wrist is getting tired after a while. You have to hold it in a much different position than when playing fingered.  And I have not been away from the guitar in 50 years. I play constantly. But I have been away from any serious slide playing for at least 25.

It seems like time and practice is the answer. Thanks. 

No, you don't need to hold it in a different position if you are holding your guitar correctly (many may disagree, and I think its OK for them to be wrong).  The neck should be tilted up about 45 degrees.  This keeps you from having to bend your wrist at a sharp angle.  I use guitar straps even when seated.  The strap holds the guitar in the right place so my wrist hardly bends to lay my fingers on the strings.  Slide or pick my guitar is held in the same position.  I do have a lapsteel guitar that lays in my lap, but that's not what I think we're talking about.