Sign in to follow this  
DrRogerFisher

Leon Russell, Song For You

I have been a follower of Kirk's approach to playing guitar for several years, and have reached a comfort level with navigating the whole fret-board using Kirk's "shapes" combined with 50 years of relying on scales. Mostly I follow his Plane Talk site, but occasionally a lesson in the GBB newsletter catches my eye (or ear). This week's tribute lesson to Leon Russell really hit home - the haunting ballad "A Song For You" has always been my favourite Russell song, and used to be one of my piano performance pieces. Kirk's guitar version is just so beautiful that I wanted to publicly thank him. With a minimum of notes Kirk captured the beauty and emotional depth of the song with a simple bass-line and beautiful melody line connected by minimal chord tones. And that slide section at the end was so expressive and full of emotion. Learning this guitar piece is now my Number One challenge, and I hope to post a version here sometime soon. Thank you Kirk for all your efforts and resources. There's a million guitar learning sites on the internet, but there's nothing out there that comes close to this version (and lesson) on this beautiful song. Thanks