Howdy guitar players.

I haven't been around much the past few years. My hearing loss put everything on hold for a while. I cannot hear pitch correctly anymore so this might be my last song with vocals. More and more I need AutoTune, and that makes vocals sound very processed and weird. I think my latest attempt at vocals might also suffer from being a bad song. That song will end up abandoned due to bad writing. Also, I'm always a bit dizzy, or more than a bit. Listening to music is a chore as I need separate outputs through an EQ and headphones amp.

I am selling all my live performance gear, and perhaps another guitar or two. I'll keep a guitar or two and play a little everyday until that is no longer possible. I might be able to record instrumental music a while longer.

The attached song is the last song written for Lewis & Walker X, and perhaps my last vocals on any recording. I got to play my chromatic harmonica. I love playing that thing.

So, here is a recent, auto-tuned and heavily edited song"

https://youtu.be/DAy_wesbrI0

• Thanks 1

Good writing. Good performance.

Loss becomes ever more difficult when it takes a bit of your soul with it.

Thanks for the positive feedback. My spirit has been broken for many years. For the past decade I have found few things to be happy about.

Hi Keith - I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting. Hope your situation starts to improve.

Thanks. Sadly, there is no cure for Meniere's disease and it is known to be progressive. Working with doctors I can slow the progression.

I don't know if there's anything I can say except that I hurt for you.

Over the years you have given a lot of people on this site a lot of enjoyment from your playing and singing and the fun videos you make to go with your songs. You're a very creative guy.

take care of yourself.

Doug

I don't know if there's anything I can say except that I hurt for you.

Over the years you have given a lot of people on this site a lot of enjoyment from your playing and singing and the fun videos you make to go with your songs. You're a very creative guy.

take care of yourself.

Doug

Thanks, Doug.

I am trying my best to take care of myself. I am lucky to have several good doctors that help me a lot.

Hi Keith. Being new around here, I am reading some older posts and saw this. I listened to the song and really really liked it. There's something bout the melody that is just immediately gratifying. Wow man, you sort of talked it down in your intro above. Theres nothing bad about it, quite the opposite. Your singing is fine. I envy good singers, as I never could go out and perform, my singing is strictly for self-defence.

Well done.

Andre

11 minutes ago, Andrevn said:

Hi Keith. Being new around here, I am reading some older posts and saw this. I listened to the song and really really liked it. There's something bout the melody that is just immediately gratifying. Wow man, you sort of talked it down in your intro above. Theres nothing bad about it, quite the opposite. Your singing is fine. I envy good singers, as I never could go out and perform, my singing is strictly for self-defence.

Well done.

Andre

Thanks for the kind words.  I feel I used to be a better singer.  Now technology has to help me, so I use the technology.

I also like this song.  Not many I write are as catchy as this one.  I don't know why.

I've just caught up with this post & song - I like it too - the same catchy songwriting you have always had.  I sympathize with the lyrics too.  Currently I have no dogs in my life, and I am all the poorer for that.  I have lots of good memories though, which I will never lose (hopefully). :)

Even with your Meniere's, your skill and talent are still way beyond most people - keep writing, singing and playing, please.

10 minutes ago, carol m said:

I've just caught up with this post & song - I like it too - the same catchy songwriting you have always had.  I sympathize with the lyrics too.  Currently I have no dogs in my life, and I am all the poorer for that.  I have lots of good memories though, which I will never lose (hopefully). :)

Even with your Meniere's, your skill and talent are still way beyond most people - keep writing, singing and playing, please.

Thanks, Carol.

I don't know that I could get another dog.  It broke my heart when he passed.  I don't know if I want to go through that.  Nor would I want to die owning a dog, because dog's hearts break too.

I'm not in a position to have a dog currently, but if I could, I'd consider getting an old and homeless dog who would probably not out live me.  Also less dog-walking required, :)

Our dog's name is Rocky. I take him out for long walks sometimes along the Koto river here. In the spring, the mist in the air brings a beautiful rainbow in the sky.  Your song too, is a rainbow in the sky, the 7 colors of beauty.

6 hours ago, windsong said:

Our dog's name is Rocky. I take him out for long walks sometimes along the Koto river here. In the spring, the mist in the air brings a beautiful rainbow in the sky.  Your song too, is a rainbow in the sky, the 7 colors of beauty.

My dog was named Rocky as well.  He's been gone almost 2 years.  I miss him.

Hi Keith,

Great song (as usual). What are you using to record the acoustic guitar?

I keep reading that it's all top do with mic position but that doesn't seem to

work for me. Not that the recordings are bad, just lack that crisp clarity.

John.

Hi Keith,

Great song (as usual). What are you using to record the acoustic guitar?

I keep reading that it's all top do with mic position but that doesn't seem to

work for me. Not that the recordings are bad, just lack that crisp clarity.

John.

I start with a good guitar with fairly fresh strings.  Then I use an AKG-C414 microphone, 2-3 feet away, aimed at the guitar.  Your room needs to be quiet because the added distance requires more gain, and so, more gain means every fan, motor, chair, breath and fart get boosted as well.  Be very, very quiet.

Then, depending on the guitar is part of an ensemble or solo, I use a high pass filter to remove a lot of low frequencies - more when part of a group, less when solo.  In most cases I would rather remove some lows instead of adding some highs.  Boosting with EQ, at least to me, usually sounds harsh.

The recording is recent enough that I was doing a lot of guessing on the mix.  I simply don't hear music well anymore.  Sadly, that will not improve with time or treatment.  I've been doing it so long I can look at effects settings and know what is happening to the audio.

I hope my rambling is lucid and coherent.  I'm never sure anymore.

Keith

Thanks Keith, 

I have most of that - quiet room, high pass filters, temporary fart ban etc but I've always been much closer to the mic(s) than 2 - 3 feet. I'll give it a try

Sorry to read that your having hearing problems, I find myself saying 'pardon' a lot more these days.

Your rambling was absolutely fine :)

take care,

John.

• Like 1

oh Aye B) I like it - the vocal has that 70s' Vocoder vibe to it - sounds to me that it's there as a tonal effect rather than a pitch correction requirement ;)

I've had a throat and ear infection for the last week or so - and these last couple of days I've had congestion and no hearing in just my left ear - it's surprising the affect this has had on day to day things, I struggled even driving my car - my thoughts go out to you Brother.

I hope you find some source of inspiration to keep your Spirit fed.

Paul.

• Like 1

The pitch correction is minimal, but it is there.  I record many takes and my collaborator then builds a composite track mostly in tune.

I've been wearing hearing aids for more than 5 years.  I can't hear well even with the aids.

At times, I remove all the lows from 500Hz on down to clear up a guitar track.  And my guitars are bright to begin with.

Distance between sound source and microphone also adds natural dynamic compression.  Usually a good thing for acoustic guitar.