Mark Hussey

Oxford, UK, professional guitarist dropping in

Hello fellow guitarists,

Even though I play professionally I still classify myself as a beginner as the journey of learning never ends. No matter how many years pass by as a player I realise how little I really know and what I hope to achieve. Still, I'm pleased to drop by and say hello and hope to contribute and help answer any guitar based questions here as well as contribute to the forum. So I guess the best way to introduce myself is with a little playing so I'm sharing a little clip of me playing the Hungarian Dance No. 5 and something more contemporary with a Beatles tune 'Eleanor Rigby'

Enjoy folks and please say hi :)

Mark

Here is the other

• Like 3

Mark

I love both of these pieces, thank you.

I notice that you are playing a Yamaha NTX700 in Eleanor Rigby. I have the basic model, I expect that you have the professional one. I find the treble string tone a bit "precious" on the notes around open E on either of the top 2 strings. The best sound I have obtained so far is with either (flouro)carbon strings or Thomastik nylon flat wound - both of which are expensive. The guitar sounds much better amplified than acoustic but still has this "precious" sound. I certainly like the idea of the acoustic/electric nylon crossover. I would be interested in any feedback that you have.

Tony

Mark

I love both of these pieces, thank you.

I notice that you are playing a Yamaha NTX700 in Eleanor Rigby. I have the basic model, I expect that you have the professional one. I find the treble string tone a bit "precious" on the notes around open E on either of the top 2 strings. The best sound I have obtained so far is with either (flouro)carbon strings or Thomastik nylon flat wound - both of which are expensive. The guitar sounds much better amplified than acoustic but still has this "precious" sound. I certainly like the idea of the acoustic/electric nylon crossover. I would be interested in any feedback that you have.

Tony

Hey Tony, thanks for the comment. I tend to record with microphones even when using the NTX from Yamaha. I find the attack of the pickups very unnatural but it does sound pretty good throughs the TH5A amplifier. I hear you with respect to the top E string. I have noticed this. My solution is to use the highest tension strings available and I go for Augustine Blue, on this guitar. It seems to work very well and I like the extra volume and feel of the high tension strings. Yes, strings seem to be way too expensive these days. It's a shame as nylon strings, in my opinion don't last long. I find even the Augustine strings start to form hair like nylon structures protruding from each string even after just a day of use. I hope this helps in some way....We need to lobby for cheaper strings maybe :)

On 12/01/2017 at 2:39 AM, eddiez152 said:

Mark,

I listened few times and am fascinated by your finger and note work. Love the sound.

Thanks Eddie :) Very much appreciate your compliment 

• Like 1

Mark, my Yamaha NTX700 sounds a lot better now that I have hearing aids! Seriously, but haha.

I am completely sold on John Pearse PJ116 flat wound strings on it now. They are a lot cheaper than but identical to the Thomastik KR116. You need to shop around for the PJ116s as the asking price varies enormously. They have a great sound on my NTX700, it's not strictly "classical", brighter. They are extremely light, which I like, and my son was ecstatic when he discovered that they vibrato and bend almost like an electric guitar. I have played slide a little with them too and they work like that.

Tony