frost

strings

hey folks i was cleaning my strat and found nicks in the strings,almost like the strings are about to come apart and break.im using the factory strings and have some fender lights coming.is this normal or do i need to look for better strings?

thanx for your time..post-135622-0-38654500-1475194162_thumb.gif

It's unlikely the strings will come apart. Nicks can be the result of your fretting technique and how much you should be concerned about cleaning up your fingering. If you are concerned about this, you can first check the leading edge of the frets you play on for any sharp edges - "sharp" edges. Frets are generally slightly rounded at the leading edge. If you find a sharp edge, you can take a bit of 400 grit paper to the edge to gently round over the edge. (Mask off the fretboard if you try this.) Or have it looked at by a tech. Don't get aggressive about dealing with frets. You can easily put too much softening in the edge and cause issues that can only be repaired by replacing the fret.

Mostly, I would not be concerned about the guitar and I would be more concerned about developing a clean playing technique.

Which strings have nicks?

frost,

I wouldn't initially worry about it. It could be just string wear. Put on the new set and if it happens again in the same area of the guitar, I would then have someone look at it.

Mike

It's unlikely the strings will come apart. Nicks can be the result of your fretting technique and how much you should be concerned about cleaning up your fingering. If you are concerned about this, you can first check the leading edge of the frets you play on for any sharp edges - "sharp" edges. Frets are generally slightly rounded at the leading edge. If you find a sharp edge, you can take a bit of 400 grit paper to the edge to gently round over the edge. (Mask off the fretboard if you try this.) Or have it looked at by a tech. Don't get aggressive about dealing with frets. You can easily put too much softening in the edge and cause issues that can only be repaired by replacing the fret.

Mostly, I would not be concerned about the guitar and I would be more concerned about developing a clean playing technique.

Which strings have nicks?

ok thank you.i had a crapy rouge guitar as generic as it gets and it was like playing a chain saw and had to polish the frets. this one in question is asquire strat,not American made but just as nice.i will work on my strumming and finger placement.

I have keyboard hands and I'm still working on my fret work and chords.the strings in question is the first and second

the nicks are over the pickups so I think your right .thank you for your feed back.

peace

frost,

I wouldn't initially worry about it. It could be just string wear. Put on the new set and if it happens again in the same area of the guitar, I would then have someone look at it.

Mike

thank you for your feed back.im still kinda remedial,well very remedial. I like this forum,its nice to learn from others.

till next time

peace